Author Topic: Neatsfoot oil patch lube  (Read 6249 times)

Offline L. Akers

Neatsfoot oil patch lube
« on: November 30, 2015, 05:45:51 AM »
Hello all.  I am new to this forum and have been reading some "history" in the back posts.  I have seen numerous posts where neatsfoot oil is touted as a patch lube.  However I have not come across any posts which caution that neatsfoot oil is slightly acidic!  When I first started using neatsfoot over 40 years ago, a fellow shooter--a chemist by trade--cautioned me about this fact.  I didn't think it would be a good idea to be putting acid down my bore so every time I buy a new bottle I work up about 1/8  teaspoon of lead filings and dump them into the bottle.  When the little bubbles stop forming on the lead (3-4 days) the oil is safe to use.  I just leave the lead in the bottom of the bottle.   Just thought I'd pass this along.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Neatsfoot oil patch lube
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 07:10:22 AM »
Excellent post.  A problem (perceived at the very least) complete with an inexpensive and simple solution.  Thanks.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 09:00:51 PM »
TKS for this post, Akers.  I did not know NFOil was acidic.  I've not harmed by bores with it, maybe just lucky. I have some 'strips' and will test my oil, sometime.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 05:00:41 AM »
I just tested mine.  It's on the end of the scale, so the measurement probably isn't as accurate as it could be.  The lower limit of my strips is 4.5 ph.

Now to test on clean bbl steel.

BTW I already have lead in the bottom of my bear grease.  I forget why.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:01:38 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Fred Hembree

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 05:14:48 AM »
I just purchased a small bottle of pure nfo to use as a patch lube. Wasn't aware it had any issues.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:15:24 AM by Fred Hembree »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 05:30:35 AM »
I've been using it for many years, as a hunting lube and as a winter trail shooting lube.  I have not had any rusting whatsoever.  The relative humidity is low here, especially in the winter.  Might have something to do with my success, and lack of problems.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 11:40:15 PM »
Would the bear oil be acidic too?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 02:02:57 AM »
Nope!

Hungry Horse

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 03:43:59 AM »
I am no chemist, and I'm likely all wet here, but it seems to me that everything on this earth is either basic, or acidic.  It seems t me that few things are neutral.  The degree of negative or positive ph is what is important.  I am open to enlightenment.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Vomitus

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 07:25:57 AM »
It's one or the other on the big scale. That being caustic or acidic. Very few oils are absolute neutral. Just doesn't happen, as far as I know.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 07:28:12 AM by Leatherbelly »

Barnstormer

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2016, 07:05:08 PM »
Thompsons Natural Lube 1000/Borebutter is all I use. 

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 08:58:56 PM »
I was out on our trail with a buddy on New Year's Day.  Snow was up to our knees and temperature -19 C.  I used pure neatsfoot oil for my lube on precut .022" patches which turned into grease with the cold.  I used my usual .495" soft lead balls in a .50 cal Beck styled longrifle with a 44" bbl. and never had the slightest problem loading.  The rifle was satisfyingly accurate!  I shot over fifty rounds without wiping.

When I got home, I let the rifle come to room temperature before I cleaned it.  I always remove the barrel from the stock and emmurse in my cleaning bucket filled with room temp water and one drop of green dish soap.  I think the soap was necessary since I was using oil for my lube, as the fouling, though minimal, was stubborn to remove.  My first effort, with just a double patch on the jag in the bucket, didn't get it all.  So I attached a .50 cal bronze bore brush and gave it a thorough scrub, followed again with a double flannel patch.  This time when I dried it, I found that all of the fouling was gone.  So I used the last drying patch, and applied a few squirts of Lehigh Valley lube and then ran it into the bore again.  I was surprised to find the tiniest bit of black where the patch contacted the bottom corners of the grooves.  When I dry my barrel, I put it in a leather pad in my machinist's vise, so I get a good contact with the bore and enough power to use a tight patch.  And LV is a good BP solvent!  Probably acidic though!!! HA!

The lesson here:  using oil or grease as a patch lube requires a more energetic cleaning regime than just using spit for your patch lube.
D. Taylor Sapergia