Author Topic: Has anyone heard of this flintlock maker  (Read 16381 times)

Fowlerman

Has anyone heard of this flintlock maker
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:25:19 AM »
I have 4 of his guns 3 flintlocks and one percussion 2 of these guns are made of rare wood it is called quilted birds eye maple and one with virgin growth birds eye his name is Jim Turpin out of Kansas City Kansas he is booked up for ten years now got one of his last guns a 54-28 gauge fowler 20-62 36 cal 32 cal these guns are fast no delay locks tuned to perfection in my opinion he is one of the best makers today each of these guns are 7 to 10 thousand a piece if you have heard of him or have one of his guns let me know

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Has anyone heard of this flintlock maker
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 03:27:32 PM »
Turpin has been around for ever.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII

Fowlerman

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 04:42:55 PM »
In your opinion is he a good maker

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »
In your opinion is he a good maker
I'm sure some like his work and some don't, not going down that road. ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:02:10 PM by Mike Brooks »
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Fowlerman

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 03:45:23 AM »
All I wanted to know if he was considered a reputable maker and why don't you want to go down that road if you have a opinion you should voice it. That's my view

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 04:29:44 AM »
All I wanted to know if he was considered a reputable maker and why don't you want to go down that road if you have a opinion you should voice it. That's my view
I'm a slow learner but I am learning to shut up when I may offend, not that my opinion of Turpin's work would be offensive. If you like his work then that's all that counts. I'm sure you'll find many to agree with you. Personally I'm finding voicing your opinion doesn't get you anywhere.

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 04:43:58 AM »
People place more value in one's opinion when he agrees with them.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 04:57:05 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Fowlerman

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 06:42:58 AM »
It doesn't matter if you agree with me it's not going to offend me yes I like his work you may not this is life who are y'alls favorite maker cause I think you will agree these flintlocks that the current makers make are works of art

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 09:10:04 AM »
Fowlerman...use some punctuation please.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Fowlerman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »
Sorry hurried through the discussion.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 03:12:10 PM »
It doesn't matter if you agree with me it's not going to offend me yes I like his work you may not this is life who are y'alls favorite maker cause I think you will agree these flintlocks that the current makers make are works of art
i don't think its fair to critique jim turpins work on a public site every one has their favorite makers i think there is an active thread about it on the board right now

punctuation is for punks taylor ;D

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 09:45:33 PM »
In general, Fowlerman, we critique when a maker presents their work and asks for input. Some people make all or part of their living in this business and there is no predicting what sampling of people will respond if we go down that road of critiquing someone's work without that person being in the room.  But what is said impacts a business whether the person critiquing the work is credible or incredible.
Questions such as "Whose work do you currently admire?" are welcome.  
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 09:47:44 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

grouchy

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2015, 10:06:29 PM »
Has some interesting videos out ned

Fowlerman

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2015, 11:14:03 PM »
Rich I never thought of it like that thanks for the advice. Moving forward who's work do y'all admire. I live in Utah not very much flintlock shooters here.  I told people I am hunting turkey with my fowler they laughed at me till I came back with a good size jake. I am the only one in my town that shoots a flintlock most everyone shoots a inline w. Scope.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 11:24:32 PM »
Rich I never thought of it like that thanks for the advice. Moving forward who's work do y'all admire. I live in Utah not very much flintlock shooters here.  I told people I am hunting turkey with my fowler they laughed at me till I came back with a good size jake. I am the only one in my town that shoots a flintlock most everyone shoots a inline w. Scope.
Here you go:
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=25084.0

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 11:50:11 PM »
There is a long thread on whose work we admire. I like a lot of different work. Builders have their own styles and some work a particular type or school while others are more diverse. For a Lehigh I like Allen Martin, Eric Von Ashwege, and Eric Ketterberg. Yet each of them do distinctive work. For a well -appointed Golden Age rifle from Pennsylvania I'd pick Bill Shipman, Mitch Yates, Ed Wenger, Eric Von A. and Taylor Sapergia or Mike Gahagan. Your pick.  If I wanted something that expanded on original work, Jim Kibler. But some specialize so for a Beck, Tom Caster. If I wanted an aged early fowling piece I'd go with Ken Gahagan or Mike Brooks. If I wanted an early rootsy rifle Allen Martin, Jack Brooks, Mark Wheland, Eric Kettenberg or I'd like to get Tom Curran's early short rifle away from him. For an iron mounted Southern rifle Ian Pratt. For a Hawken Taylor again.  And so on and so on.
Andover, Vermont

Fowlerman

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 11:59:05 PM »
Wow never knew is was so diverse.

JoeG

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 01:32:02 AM »
I live in Utah not very much flintlock shooters here

I don't know what part of Utah you are in,
but Utah is full of traditional muzzle loaders,
but you are not going to find them at the local shooting range.
Start going to Muzzle loading club shoots or Rendezvous.There are several in the state.
There is also a large contingent of long time flint shooters that don't belong to any club
but get together every month or so to shoot.
The group I shoot with tend to look at Cap lock shooters funny, and want nothing to do with
an inline action gun.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2015, 01:32:59 AM »
Wow never knew is was so diverse.

Haha, I was just warming up. Lots more categories to add. French fusils, English trade guns, fine English rifles, later trade rifles with faux tiger maple striping, Euopean jaegers, early Southern rifles, fantasy Kentuckies, plus builders with a special touch in building Bucks County rifles, Dickerts, a checkered Fordney, which reminds me of a Ferguson rifle, etc. and I have favorites for all those too.
Andover, Vermont

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2015, 01:42:32 AM »
Go to the NMLRA web site and find a field rep. for Utah. They will most likely be able to direct you to some traditional ML flintlock shooters or clubs.

Offline Herb

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2015, 03:04:46 AM »
JoeG is right.  I am one of those guys that shows up with a caplock  at these shoots, and the big boys kick sand in my eyes.  Joe knows-  he brought a fullstock caplock Hawken once........
Herb

Offline PPatch

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2015, 03:06:42 AM »
Fowlerman;

Go to the Contemporary Markers blog and do a search for "Jim Turpin" You'll see more of his work.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com

And oh, Welcome to ALR!

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fowlerman

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2015, 04:25:24 AM »
Thanks hey do you guys watch Pawn Stars on History channel. well the old man that tried selling the Gattling gun he lives in the same town I do in fact I mow his lawn. He comes back from the gun shows with some old guns.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2015, 04:32:21 PM »
Fowlerman;

Go to the Contemporary Markers blog and do a search for "Jim Turpin" You'll see more of his work.

http://contemporarymakers.blogspot.com

And oh, Welcome to ALR!

dave
The man sure is capable of some nice work. He probably suffers from "westernitis".....he lives to far west for most people to know who he is.