Author Topic: Has anyone heard of this flintlock maker  (Read 16350 times)

Offline T*O*F

Re: Has anyone heard of this flintlock maker
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2015, 06:16:22 PM »
hey do you guys watch Pawn Stars on History channel.
No, they are a bunch of idiots
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 06:18:03 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2015, 06:37:25 PM »
hey do you guys watch Pawn Stars on History channel.
No, they are a bunch of idiots

Not only are they idiots,they have an "expert" for EVERYTHING under the sun---yeah,SURE THEY DO!!!

Bob Roller

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2015, 07:57:20 PM »
If you ever have a piece 'o crapola old gun to sell that's the place to go. They over pay for all guns I have seen.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 01:01:50 AM by Mike Brooks »
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline PPatch

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »
"He probably suffers from "westernitis".....he lives to far west for most people to know who he is."

Heck Mike, I lived in KC, MO. for 22 years and I never heard of him while there. Means nothing of course since I wasn't into muzzleloading back then.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Fowlerman

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2015, 03:28:54 AM »
I never said I like them  ;D

Offline Longknife

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2015, 08:18:13 PM »
Fowlerman, I have a rifle made by Jim Turpin. It is #52 and it was made in 1981. It has a 44 inch Douglas barrel in .32 cal and a Dixie Barnett lock. I spoke to Jim about this gun and he told me that it was ordered by a fellow who wanted a "Roman nose Kentucky" and no particular school was copied so it is considered  a generic Kentucky.  Since I have a Turpin rifle in hand I will comment on his work. The wood to metal fit is excellent, the wood finish and carving are excellent and the engraving is superb. Jim commented about the gun..... "This is one of my early guns as I was building about 15 to 20 guns a year back then. I had a small black powder shop in Overland Park KS named "Uncle Turps Cannon Works".. I am impressed the skills that Jim had acquired so early in his career.. I do take it out on occasion to thin out the local squirrel population and it still shoots "center"!!!!...Ed 
Ed Hamberg

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2015, 11:14:17 PM »
15 to 20 guns a year is alot of guns.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Maalsral

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2015, 11:52:02 PM »
Turpin has a table every year at the CLA show in Lexington.
Mark Thomas

Fowlerman

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2015, 04:11:51 AM »
Hey. Ed I have # 67 73 141 143. I do agree his work is super my lock is at his house now getting the frozen refaced. Kind of funny how I got the 2 guns 67 73 I have a good friend in Branson Mo.( Dc. Waldorf) he called me up and said my refrigerator and stove broke I need money I bought the 20 gauge (67) for 2000$ and gun 73 for 1800$ 36 cal. I stole them I want to send pics but I can't figure out how to on this forum.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »
I'm a little confused. 
You are asking for comments about the quality of a guys work, and you own four of them?......Hmmmmmm?!!!??
In His grip,

Dane

Fowlerman

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2015, 08:57:20 AM »
Just making conversation