Author Topic: Percussion Caps Hard To Find Here  (Read 28182 times)

Fred Hembree

Percussion Caps Hard To Find Here
« on: December 13, 2015, 02:31:24 AM »
Fixed up a traditional style .50 cal muzzleloader rifle for my son to give him for Christmas. Got accessories and related items to go with it for him as well except for #11 percussion caps. Local wallyworld out. Local gun shop informed me today that they no longer stock any black powder related items. So, made the trip to Nashville to visit the big FishPro shop. The guy at the gun counter told me that they didn't have any #11 percussion caps in stock and then added the comment that it had been a long time since he had even seen any. Is there a shortage of these? Are they really getting difficult to find?  Looks like you can find them online if you want to purchase a case of them and pay hazardous shipping fees. Seems like a lot to just give the boy a can of 100 caps to get started with.

Offline FDR

Re: Percussion Caps Hard To Find Here
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 02:36:19 AM »
Try Franklin Gun Shop just of I-65 at the Franklin exit.  I have also seen them at Academy, Dicks and Gander Mountain.

I should have also added Gun City USA on Murfreesboro Rd
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 02:39:25 AM by FDR »

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 04:06:07 AM »
Fixed up a traditional style .50 cal muzzleloader rifle for my son to give him for Christmas. Got accessories and related items to go with it for him as well except for #11 percussion caps. Local wallyworld out. Local gun shop informed me today that they no longer stock any black powder related items. So, made the trip to Nashville to visit the big FishPro shop. The guy at the gun counter told me that they didn't have any #11 percussion caps in stock and then added the comment that it had been a long time since he had even seen any. Is there a shortage of these? Are they really getting difficult to find?  Looks like you can find them online if you want to purchase a case of them and pay hazardous shipping fees. Seems like a lot to just give the boy a can of 100 caps to get started with.

Percussion caps can be hard to find because the same people that make them also make primers for center fire guns.  With the run on guns and ammo that we've recently seen, I saw on TV an interview where one of the makers said that production of primers for factory ammo manufacturing was sucking up the supply of primers.  And of course the primer makers have really cut back on percussion cap production and switched to primer production.  One of the guys in my club just orders a thousand or more #11 caps from Bass Pro Shops on line for store delivery.  They of course are back ordered.  However, when they are available BP Shops fills the on line back orders before they hit the store shelves.  That way he at least has a leg up on folks trying to find them on store shelves and avoids shipping and HAZMAT fees.  All of this is why I shoot flintlocks almost exclusively.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 05:48:57 AM »
BassPro at OpryMills is the most useless place there is as far as I'm concerned. Every time I go there for something they either don't have it or it's overpriced.

Outdoor Junction outside of Cookeville is the only place where I can always find caps. It's hit and miss most other places.

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 03:02:19 AM »
The last I bought was at Academy Sports in Smyrna off I-24. They were CCI standards at $4.99 a tin and I bought a thousand which was cheaper than I could get at Friendship. A recent check there, however, showed them being rather scarce because of the recent muzzle loading deer season. Sure didn't realize that modern ML hunters were still using them that much. Give them a call( Smyrna or Mt. Juliet ) to check availability.

I was in Out Post Armory at exit 89 on the other side of Murfreesboro a few days ago and they had them as well but at a dollar a tin higher.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2015, 05:01:34 AM »
Upgrade to flint.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2015, 03:59:56 PM »
I've got at least 3,000 and I don't even shoot cap locks.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 09:33:54 PM »
 I concur MoleEyes .

One of my shooting buddies several years ago now who worked at Federal  warned us before the last run on ammuniton to buy up caps where ever we could as the cap making machinery was the same as was used to make centerfire.

Face the fact that the black powder craze is long over .We are at the tail end of a long supply chain.And hardly the most profitable part of a larger customer base in the broad scheme of things .  

PS try the neolithic solution and help support the stone age.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 05:15:33 AM by stuart cee dub »

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:55:07 PM »
Make your own. I have a kit I got from Dixie Gun Works some 30+ years ago, which lets me use empty beer cans to for the cap. I only have one cap lock gun; which is an under hammer target rifle, so I don't use as many caps as I use to. Last 20 years, I mainly shoot flintlock guns, but it nice to not have to depend on the "supply chain" which is a very very long chain up here where I live.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 07:08:03 PM »
Back in the 70's, I used a Forester Tap-O-Cap die for making my caps. Instead of kid's toy caps, I used the formula for pil lock 'pils' taken from "The Pictorial History of the Underhammer Rifle".

After writing that up in 'The National Association of Primitive Riflemen" NAPR magazine, I got a call telling me the formula was outlawed in England in 1890's due to it's instability. Worked for me, though - and very well indeed - BUT - horribly corrosive as it used Potassium Chlorate in it's formula.(much the same stuff as in Pyrodex)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:35:41 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Kentucky Colonel

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
It has gotten to the point that ALL my ammo needs have run into a 'shortage' issue in the last two years.

I believe this is simply poor stocking issues rather than real shortages most of the time because my friends
in different parts of the country and with different suppliers CAN find the stock.

But, I have gotten to the point that I keep more on hand than I would to prevent a 'hiccup' in my everyday plans.  >:(

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2015, 12:09:06 AM »
Walmart usually has them during hunting season and then liquidates them after it's over.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2015, 12:19:45 AM »
I buy them when I see them, maybe one or two tins at a time.  I believe they last a good long time, if left sealed.  It would not be bad to have a few thousand on hand. Heaven knows what trickery some politicians have in store, should the opportunity arise.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

ddoyle

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 11:07:42 AM »
I believe they last a good long time

100 plus years according to my most recent foray into cap lock shooting. Couldn't bear to unseal the ridiculously priced tin of new ones I bought so dug 5 out of an antique tin. bang-bang-bang-bang-bang.

Offline retired fella

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
Bob in the woods,

I never heard of your contraption.  Fascinating concept, making caps and drinking beer.  Can't think of a better way to spend a rainy day. ;) ;)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 10:19:43 PM »
Had a strange experience buying caps yesterday.  I asked if they had any.  They only had one size 10 3/4?  Said it would work as an 11?  Has
anyone used them as an 11?  I assume they won't fit a 10?  Paid $13 plus tax for 100...boo
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 10:39:05 PM »
What brand were those 10&3/4?  I had some CCI's #11 that were a tight fit on a standard size nipple.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 10:52:40 PM »
You can always spin a nipple with sandpaper and size the taper down to 10 3/4.  You should always do this for ill fitting nipples anyway.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 10:57:20 PM »
I was going to spin the nipples down but I have a large supply of #11 Rem. caps that fit OK now so will save the CCI's for later.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 11:25:10 PM »
You can have the two or three tins I have.  Not fresh, but probably work.  I gots no use for 'em anymore.   8)

Probably not the best for a gift though, although IIRC one tin may be unopened. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 11:46:39 PM »
Well fellas if caps are hard to come by where you are,  just spare a thought for your muzzle loading brethren  down under.
The latest price here  for #11 caps if in stock at all, is $15 /100.

One of the rendezvous clubs is talking with a gun shop for an order of 1000/100 cap tins and that,s not a lot of caps when you consider the club has 50 members.

As one of the forum contributors has hit the nail on the head.

We are on the tail of the demand ,when it comes to the overall demands for primers. Normal business practices follow the the customers asking for the bigger volumes of a product will be supplied first.

Obviously our percussion cap requirements are  relatively small in comparison to those of the center fire market.

It would be nice to convert to our pieces to  flintlock but there are problems.
There are very few muzzle loader gunsmiths in Australia ,let alone many individuals who have the knowledge or equipment to do the work. Secondly they are not many parts available.

To bring firearm parts in from the like of TOTW is not permitted unless you have an import permit.There's lots of hoops to jump through to get one. Accessories and accouterments are OK.

For lot of Aussie shooters the solution  would require purchase of a whole flintlock and with the economy the way it is not viable for many of us.

Offline ScottH

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2015, 03:28:14 AM »
Shreckmeister probably bought RWS Dynamit Nobel caps made in Germany.
They call them No. 1075 plus.
They have a tiny "U" on the top.
Most of the time these will work just fine on a standard #11 nipple.
Also these are reported to be one of the hottest caps available.

I have used them, no complaints except that they are more expensive than CCI #11 Magnums (which I can not find any of them in my area).

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2015, 07:08:18 AM »
Retired fella ....reading the posts, it appears that Daryl had the same cap making devise. The Forester Tap-O-Cap die kit.  Any aluminum can works fine. I'm not sure if Dixie Gun Works still carries them.

Offline dogcatcher

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2015, 08:01:09 AM »
Retired fella ....reading the posts, it appears that Daryl had the same cap making devise. The Forester Tap-O-Cap die kit.  Any aluminum can works fine. I'm not sure if Dixie Gun Works still carries them.

After your post I remembered there was a video out on making a home version of the Forster Tap-O-Cap.

ricktull

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2015, 06:48:11 PM »
David R has the best solution!! The old timers had the same problem when going West, or to more remote locations. Some of the Alamo defenders had to trade guns before they got to Texas because of this. But seriously, you should be able to find some at the above mentioned places.