Author Topic: I sure do like this gun  (Read 7786 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
I sure do like this gun
« on: December 14, 2015, 08:19:52 PM »
 The more I study it the more I like it. Does anybody know who built it? Can't believe it hasn't sold.
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/487/1/AAP-467
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Kermit

Re: I sure do like this gun
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 08:39:25 PM »
No builder's name--or did I miss it?
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 09:00:16 PM »
OMG :o It looks so much like the one I'm building right now!
Based on a Herman Rupp #RCA-57. My lock panels are much skinnier though and my Getz .50 cal x 13/16" straight oct. barrel is 42" long. I plan to stain it a dark red/brown and I am not sure yet if I want to slow brown the barrel and lock or etch and blue it. Not wild about the shiny finish on a schimmel style.
Tom C.

Offline blienemann

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 09:50:03 PM »
I like it, too.  I'd bet lunch that this is one of Brad Emig's mountain rifles, which he sells in kit form or in the white, and which someone finished.  Many of the rifles on Track are obviously from a kit, but credit not given.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 12:37:07 AM »
I like it, too.  I'd bet lunch that this is one of Brad Emig's mountain rifles, which he sells in kit form or in the white, and which someone finished.  Many of the rifles on Track are obviously from a kit, but credit not given.
I believe you're right.
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

grouchy

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 02:49:50 AM »
Yes it's sweet, I like the way the butt is shaped (I know I know) it's not flat sorta convex    ned

Offline Molly

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:03 AM »
Not one that I feel drawn to.  Maybe the finish.  Don't like light wood on a rifle but it has good lines HOWEVER I know of one that would knock your socks off Mr. B.  I wish I had photos but I not telling anyone about it as I have made advances to try to buy it and I have offered over 3 x's the price on this one and the fool owner won't even return my messages or calls.  This one is priced right at the market for such a rifle yet it has been on for several weeks if I recall correctly.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 03:25:14 PM »
Not one that I feel drawn to.  Maybe the finish.  Don't like light wood on a rifle but it has good lines HOWEVER I know of one that would knock your socks off Mr. B.  I wish I had photos but I not telling anyone about it as I have made advances to try to buy it and I have offered over 3 x's the price on this one and the fool owner won't even return my messages or calls.  This one is priced right at the market for such a rifle yet it has been on for several weeks if I recall correctly.
I generally despise light wood myself, but this one just does it for me. This is an incredibly well designed kit, I didn't realize Brad was offering something like this.

Fowlerman

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 05:28:34 PM »
The craftsmanship on this rifle is not the best but it will do. some makers pay attention  to detail others don't. You can tell by the original flintlocks are works of art and hand made like hand cut screws every detail is there the new flintlocks are that are mass produced are not plus machine made. Not for me

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
I dunno!!  The lock panels, mountings used, and metal finish just scream TVM to me.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Kermit

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »
I have made advances to try to buy it and I have offered over 3 x's the price on this one and the fool owner won't even return my messages or calls.

Hmmm. I guess you've found one of those rare birds who hasn't heard that "everything is for sale" or "everything has a price." I'm that way about a few things I own.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 08:37:33 PM »
The craftsmanship on this rifle is not the best but it will do. some makers pay attention  to detail others don't. You can tell by the original flintlocks are works of art and hand made like hand cut screws every detail is there the new flintlocks are that are mass produced are not plus machine made. Not for me
It's the architecture man, not the machine made screws!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 08:40:12 PM »
This appears to be the kit it was made from.
http://cabincreek.net/revspecs/pennsylvania-mountain-rifle/

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 09:50:36 PM »
The craftsmanship on this rifle is not the best but it will do. some makers pay attention  to detail others don't. You can tell by the original flintlocks are works of art and hand made like hand cut screws every detail is there the new flintlocks are that are mass produced are not plus machine made. Not for me
Sure I would love to have a rifle built using all parts hand built.Somebody taking a block of steel and pounding into a lock,ect.ect.ect.Sure going to need ten grand
plus to do it also.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 09:55:13 PM by Joe S. »