Author Topic: J Dickert on Gunbroker  (Read 38028 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: J Dickert on Gunbroker
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2015, 03:30:47 AM »
 If the members got to vote who stays and who goes I'm pretty sure it would be a landslide election. This too shall pass John hang with us
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2015, 03:34:50 AM »
I think we're all friends here, and all seem to share a common interest or else I guess we would't be here in the first place.  But we don't all need to agree all the time and the subject rifle is a case in point.  I don't think my (or anyone else) not seeing much artistic value or desirability in a particular old rifle somehow means I don't appreciate any antique firearms.  Such a notion is just silly.  I don't get all the subsurface vitriol in this thread but I see some posts have been deleted so maybe I missed something?  ???

It would be REALLY boring if we all agreed on everything all the time.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2015, 04:08:37 AM »
Eric, check your PM's.
John
John Robbins

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2015, 04:12:15 AM »
John, I'm glad  you decided to stay! I was afraid I'd have to beg.

By the way I'm not a Doctor, lawyer  or Indian  chief. I have however managed to built a fare collection on a modest income . As Louie said I to find interesting bits of work in most all longrifles.

The Dickert in question is not the finest one out there. But not near the price of the finer ones. There are other rifles I would rather have for about the same money. If I was looking for a Dickert I would be talking to the guy.  Dickert is such an important maker of Kentucky's . In his life time people all over the new country of ours called longrifles  Dickerts. Much like   Hawkin was used to describe a plains rifle. Derringer to describe any small pistol. Sure I see the short commings of this gun . I also see the historical importance of it.  
Merry Christmas to all!    JIM
JIM

Offline Carl Young

« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2015, 05:07:45 AM »
...have decided to reverse my previous decision and continue to enjoy this section of the forum.

Thank you! I appreciate your postings and the education they offer. My ignorance fuels my caution and so I have not yet yielded to temptation, but you and the other collectors are stoking the desire.
Carl 
Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses. -Juvenal

Offline lexington1

« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2015, 06:43:00 AM »
I'm glad to hear it John. I always enjoy your posts!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2015, 04:05:49 PM »
JTR as you probably know if one starts collecting things and your not blessed with wealth from the start you gotta start at the bottom.Affordable pieces to start a collection for the most part are not in the best shape.This rifles one of them and in my opinion over priced,don't like it don't buy it.Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.Glad you reconsided and decided to stick around,@#$%/!! storms are part of the gig and you shouldn't take them personally.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2015, 05:06:31 PM »
We all care about the longrifle. Otherwise we would not be on this site. An we would like to collect as many as we can.  At least I would. Not only for there historical value but each style an who or what they represent. But in the end it all boils down to our budget and what it allows us to acquire. Imho  Yes I would like to acquire the Dickert but for myself it is out of reach. But that does not in anyway detract anything from it. Now where's that winning lotto ticket!

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
 Dickert is such an important maker of Kentucky's . In his life time people all over the new country of ours called longrifles  Dickerts.
I am currently reading a very old discarded library book called "The Crossing" by Winston Churchill.....one of the characters is regularly described as grabbing, carrying, shouldering or leaning on his "Deckard". I assumed that it was just a back country pronunciation for Dickert. I just appreciated that connection with what you shared.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2015, 01:22:04 AM »
John,
Do you need some chapstick for your backside? Or does everyone else from all the kissing that has occurred? ;D
Buck