Author Topic: An interesting rifle. New picture added!  (Read 9673 times)

Offline JTR

• member 2
An interesting rifle. New picture added!
« on: December 18, 2015, 08:02:49 PM »
I'm posting the pictures of this nice looking rifle for one of the guys here. The gun has an interesting story, and I'll let him explain it.

« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 07:31:02 PM by JTR »
John Robbins

Offline sqrldog

Re: An interesting rifle.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
This rifle was hanging in a refurbished cabin bought by a friend of a friend. My friend called and asked for help in identifying the maker and where the rifle was made. Based on the available photos does anyone care to venture an opinion on where the rifle was made and who made it?. The rifle is not for sale
Tim Cosby

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2015, 09:05:32 PM »
Hi Tim

Man I need to start looking at refurbished cabins.  ;D

This looks like an early Bedford to me.

I would possibly even guess Peter White if the carving was a little better. The carving design behind the cheek piece is very similar to the design on a Peter White rifle shown in Calvin Hetrick's book on Bedford rifles. If you have that book look at the first rifle pictured by Peter White on page 4. I don't think this rifle is by his hand but maybe by someone associated with him.

The butt stock and wrist of the rifle looks to have a similar shape to the Peter White rifle also. The oval cheek inlay is also very similar in size and shape to the one on the PW rifle.

The side plate kind of has a different shape than most of the Bedford's that I have seen, another reason that I this this is an earlier Bedford design.

That is my guess anyway! Let's see what other folks think
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »
Jacob Cook, Fulton County 1819-1831 era?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 02:00:08 AM »
sqrldg,
It looks suspicious.
Buck

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 02:56:36 AM »
Buck
I'm fairly sure from the info I recieved from my friend that it is legit. I think it's just a late priod flint that for some reason saw little use and was fortunately well cared for it supposedly was  just left in a cabin purchased by the friend of umy friend. I don't even know the current owners name. Iwas told the rifle wasn't for sale period. I simply left a contact number if they changed their mind. Just  a nice original as for as I can tell or have knowledge about. Wish it was mine.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »
I very much appreciate the folks that posted an opinion of the maker of this rifle. I really thought more people would respond. Thanks for the input. Tim

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 02:41:53 PM »
My guess would be either a late Bedford, or Somerset, county rifle. It looks more Somerset to my eye. The stock is a little heavy for a Bedford, and of course it lacks any of the traditional Bedford style lock features.

Hungry Horse

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 08:30:22 PM »
Fulton or Huntingdon Co. Pa.    J Cook??? Better Quality there than him!! very nice early well preserved gun.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: An interesting rifle. New picture added!
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 07:33:49 PM »
Sqrldog ask me to post this picture of the makers initials on the barrel;

John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 08:57:32 PM »
Looks like I made a lucky guess.  If you take out the Bedford book and compare the rifles, you will see why
I chose Jacob Cook.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wpalongrifle

• gunmaker/hornsmith
    • mkarkalla.blogspot.com
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2015, 05:40:20 PM »
There's a J Cook attributed rifle on the CLA site for sale. Typical of his carving. Lots of restoration.
mike karkalla
F&AM Chartiers Valley#725
North American Order of the Beaver
mkarkalla.blogspot.com

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2015, 06:55:24 PM »
I quit looking at that site when they were having server issues last year.  Just got back to it
and see original Hudson Bay trade silver cross of Lorraine for $250......................I can't believe
it's still for sale.................

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 02:38:21 AM »
I have looked at two possible gunsmiths that I think could be considered at the builder of this rifle. Joeseph Clippinger and J. Cook.

At this time I am leaning toward the maker being the same as the J. Cook shown in the book Gunsmiths of Bedford, Somerset and Fulton Conties, page 78.

The J in the signature is almost identical to this rifle and the C is the same except it has a little more curl at the top of the C.

The star between the J & C is cut very similar.

The carving design behind the cheek piece has some similarities. Look at the valute at the butt plate heel and the small loops running along the bottom of the stock at the toe of the stock.

The side plate is the same shape but only has one lock bolt.

The trigger guard and the butt plate appear to be the same.

The triggers appear to be the same.

Butt profile and wrist are very close in design.

The cross hatching on the patch box is cut very similar to the cross hatching on this rifle.

The star patern engraved around the patch box screws is very similar.

The cross hatched engraving on the toe plate is very similar in design to the engraving on the side plate of this rifle.

Again, I am not saying this is the maker, I am just presenting the things that would make me lean that way if the rifle was mine.

Reguardless it is a nice little rifle and I thank Sqrldog for posting it.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

garry

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 11:18:10 PM »
I have a similar(only) rifle by Henry Albright of Lancaster, however it does have an almost identical lock marked LONDON, WARRANTED. The lock is of high quality with an internal adjusting screw.
Thought may be of interest.

kclip

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2019, 04:12:31 AM »
Hello Tim,

My name is Kim Clippinger. I know this post is a few years old but I just recently came across your pictures while googling my relative the gunsmith. I am one of Joseph Clippinger's 6th Great Grandson's. I do believe that this may be one of his rifles. We know of one other piece he did that was marked with the J*C mark, it was a pistol and there are pictures of it in a Ohio long rifle publication. It is believed that these were works during his apprentice years. if so this would have been made some time around 1820 and would have been made in Pennsylvania before he moved to Ohio. This rifle is very similar to his work in many aspects especially the patch box, there is a similar one pictured in the publication with the pistol.

I was very excited to come across this post and hope that this helps in any way

Kim Clippinger