Author Topic: New Penny Knife  (Read 5373 times)

Offline 44-henry

New Penny Knife
« on: December 23, 2015, 01:29:23 AM »
Just finished this one tonight, in time for Christmas. This is my copy of the so called "Penny Knife" probably produced in numerous places around the world, though Trattenbach Austria probably has the strongest claim to this style of knife that they have been producing for centuries and subsequently exported around the world. Mine is based off several vintage knifes that I have found online and is a bit plainer than I normally make, but probably more authentic to the period. The handle is turned from a piece of 19th century maple workbench top that I salvaged and is finished with shellac and wax on the lathe. The blade is some blister steel that I made in the shop several years ago. My thoughts are that blister steel, not further refined shear steel, would have been a likely material an 18th century cutler might have used on an inexpensive knife such as these.

Other specs are handle 4 1/4" long, blade 3 1/4" x .059 thick. Ferrule is .032" sheet steel and only goes partially around the stub end. The tapered opening is consistent with what I have seen on other antique knives of this style. Normally I tuck the ends in as Gene Chapman showed in his book on Penny Knives, but this, despite the superior technique, does not seem to be an authentic method based on what I have observed. It is a fun little knife and a great slicer due to the thin blade.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 01:42:39 AM by 44-henry »

Offline smylee grouch

Re: New Penny Knife
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 03:21:53 AM »
Nice job Alex. I wonder if a lot of the originals were of lesser quality.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:12:54 AM »
Some of the examples I have seen were pretty crude, but I have seen others that were nicely finished, not sure of the era though.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 10:23:15 PM »
You're a very fine turner!  Great work.
Andover, Vermont

steveA

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 05:04:30 AM »
very nice!  I like it a lot.
steve

Offline PPatch

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 07:50:15 PM »
Looks like it would make a nice patch knife, well done.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline sonny

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 05:06:50 AM »
Wow............nice work!.........will the blade stay out an firm open on its own, or do you have to support the open position with your finger???......sonny

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 09:03:35 AM »
Wow............nice work!.........will the blade stay out an firm open on its own, or do you have to support the open position with your finger???......sonny

I think this is called a twist-lock knife.  Once opened, the metal collar is twisted so that the collar locks the blade and prevents folding.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 06:20:13 PM »
These are called friction folders and that is all that keeps the blade open. When I first finish them they are rather stiff and do loosen with time, but they can be tightened anytime by tapping on the rivet a bit. Even if the blade does start to close the bottom 1/2 inch I leave unsharpened which is common on the older knives that I have seen so cutting yourself would be difficult.

The friction folder style knife could be found in Roman times but has never really gone out of production. The twist lock knife is a later innovation that Opinel started in the early 1950's, but they sold the knife without the lock in high numbers for over 50 years prior to that and I think they still do with some models.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 06:23:53 PM by 44-henry »