Author Topic: Hunting pictures  (Read 82268 times)

Offline mab7

Re: Hunting pictures
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2016, 06:31:08 PM »
That picture looks better everytime I see it Brad

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2016, 05:48:15 AM »
Stanley,osprey,wattles, brad...atta boy X 4.......You guys rock!

flintlocks and turkeys are pure heaven...Hunt On!

Will be back at it on Fri-Sat...This J-O-B keeps getting in the way..Thanks for the inspiration!

Offline FiremanBrad

• Starting Member
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »

Not sure I told ya where I took that pic?
That rock wall surrounds an OLD cemetery, just down the road from where I killed that bird.

Dr. John Sappington, that invented Quinine is buried there, along with his family and descendants. One of which is our Confederate Governor of Missourah, Claiborne Fox Jackson! 

I also have permission on that farm as well, the Trade Gun is ready to fill tag #2!!!

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #78 on: May 04, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
Yesterdays bird, first of this season. 20 lbs. 1 inch hooks, 9 inch beard. 20 gauge flint. 5 yard shot.

I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2016, 07:05:30 PM »
COOL photo too. Well done.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2016, 07:19:12 PM »
Great photo Shovelbuck ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2016, 03:08:53 AM »
Forgot to add some sika pics!  Flintlocks and kayaks always make for a nice, cooperative combo.  Nothing big as far as antler, but any of these buggers on public land is a triumph.

I got one of these some 15 + years ago and didn't know what species of deer it was, but it was definitely the tastiest. Furry and squatty compared to our whitetail, I hadn't seen one since then but your pics brought back some happy memories.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:40:14 AM by Ky-Flinter »
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2016, 12:44:14 AM »
I lived on Haida Gwaii (formerly The Queen Charlotte Islands) 90 miles off the coast of British Columbia, for over three years in the early 70's.  At that time, there was no season or bag limit on the Coastal Blacktail deer, and I shot dozens and dozens of them with my T/C "Hawken" flint rifle in .50 cal.  Those were good times, and Heather and I would buy chicken from time to time to get a break from venison, halibut, crab, trout and salmon.  Now, nearly fifty years later, we live in north central BC and pay a fishing guide so that we can harvest seafood on our west coast.  I haven't shot a Sitka deer since I moved off the islands.  But it was great hunting, and fantastic eating.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2016, 01:03:01 AM »
They are exotics down here in Texas (105 degree heat index right now) and there is no limits, seasons or restrictions on them other than what the land owner requires. In fact, if any exotic is on your land, even if it got out from a high fenced game ranch adjacent to your property, you can harvest it. That buck tasted like corn fed sirloin beef though, and elk is the only venison that I've had that is close.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2016, 07:44:05 PM »
Sitka and sika are two different critters.  Sitka are blacktailed deer, closely related to mule deer, while sika are closer to elk on the family tree and are generally exotics in the US.  Our herd here came from 5 original sika that were imported in the late 1800's and released not far from my home.  We now have a completely wild herd of well over 15,000 animals with a harvest of a couple thousand annually.  Mainly in our county (Dorchester) and a few surrounding counties, mainly living in the salt marshes and swamps, although they are the devil on neighboring farm lands.  There are some larger subspecies on game farms and escaped, places like Texas and New Zealand, but ours are the Yakushima subspecies, from Yakushima Island in Japan, and rarely get over 100lbs dressed for stags and average 45lbs dressed for hinds.  Scream (bugle) and wallow just like elk, and probably the best tasting critter there is on the grill.   ;D
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2016, 08:51:37 PM »
Taylor and I were raised in Dorchester - however it was village, population 700, not a county.  Our Dorchester is located in South Western Ontario, Canada.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline EC121

« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2016, 09:24:26 PM »
Here is a picture of my morning hog hunt in Bullock county, AL.  Got to the stand at 0520.  Hogs were already there but in the shade.  This one walked out into the lighter part of the field.  Bad mistake.  Gave me enough light to see the front sight.  The .54cal. Virginia lowered the boom.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:59:14 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2016, 12:24:02 AM »
Good eats there. Nice rifle ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2016, 01:19:39 AM »
That explains the furry coat that I did not recognize!  Sika...not Sitka!

One learns something every day, if they are listening and not talking.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

thimble rig

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2016, 01:45:29 AM »
Beautiful rifle.Nice looking pig.Just in time for the 4 of july pig roast time.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2016, 05:54:14 PM »
Daryl and Taylor maybe we need to swap Dorchester hunts!  Mine is on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, where depending on the day and tide I'm either two feet above sea level or one foot below.  Ten sika for one moose sound about right?!   ;D 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline EC121

« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2016, 05:57:22 PM »
More pics of the rifle on my blog.  www.bricestultzhisblog.blogspot.com  Look under "Ray rifle"
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 05:58:07 PM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2016, 10:50:00 PM »
All these great hunts are impressive to say the least.  The guns pictured are eye candy.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Online ScottH

« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2016, 12:38:18 AM »
EC
Congrats on the hog!
Are we seeing both entrance and exit holes in that picture?
If so looks like that .54 got good penetration.

Offline heelerau

« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2016, 02:19:31 AM »
Gents, no where as impressive as deer, hogs, and turkeys, not to mention whole bags of squirrels and game birds.  I have been nailing the odd rabbit in our garden, with  a late mates' flintlock he gifted me with both a PH Naval rifle and PH 1st Gen Volunteer .451 just before he died.  
        I finished up with 7 rabbits in the freezer all shot with this rifle, out to ranges of about 50 yards. Some I got off the back stoop whilst sitting in my rocker
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 02:22:58 AM by heelerau »
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2016, 02:38:26 AM »
Gents, no where as impressive as deer, hogs, and turkeys, not to mention whole bags of squirrels and game birds.  I have been nailing the odd rabbit in our garden, with  a late mates' flintlock he gifted me with both a PH Naval rifle and PH 1st Gen Volunteer .451 just before he died.  
        I finished up with 7 rabbits in the freezer all shot with this rifle, out to ranges of about 50 yards. Some I got off the back stoop whilst sitting in my rocker

The master sniper is at it again.I was wondering about you recently and obviously you're OK.

Bob Roller

Offline EC121

« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2016, 04:54:53 AM »
ScottH in answer to your question:
The .54 shot through from the top to the bottom of the rib cage centering the spine downward and out by the breast bone.  I was shooting about 50yds. from an elevated shooting house.  The holes behind the ear were from me trying to hit the head with a .38 special while it was thrashing around.  Didn't want to get too close in case it got back on its feet. ;D   My buddy sqrldog said it sounded like I was having a fire fight.   I've seen armadillos thrash around like that after a .22mag. hit them and get up and run slam out of sight.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 02:33:21 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz

Offline Shovelbuck

« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2016, 05:08:34 AM »

Had a memorable morning that tested my resolve today. Shot this nice fat doe and by the time the smoke cleared, I had no idea which way she ran after the shot. Since she had come out of a corn field, I started my search there as in my experience, 90% or better will head back to where they came from. I spent a lot of time searching for sign in the corn but kept coming up empty handed. Finally looked another direction and found the blood trail. From there she was only 30 yards.
She's all butchered and in the freezer. :)  As a side note....no camo, no blind, just sitting on the ground in some weeds.  .490 ball, 80 gr. FFF.
I don't hunt the hard way, I hunt a simpler way.

Offline flint45

• Starting Member
« Reply #98 on: October 05, 2016, 04:41:39 AM »

My first coyote. I shot this one in 2011 with my .45 flintlock

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #99 on: October 05, 2016, 04:55:57 AM »
Good job flint 45. Didn't bloody him up too much to boot.