Author Topic: Hunting pictures  (Read 82419 times)

Offline Mauser06

Re: Hunting pictures
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2016, 04:36:17 PM »

First spring turkey with a flintlock...a long time dream come true...gun was built by "Bowkill" from a Tip Curtis precarve and a Colerain turkey barrel.   Rainy spring morning...opened up my eyes and boosted my confidence to hunting with a flinter

First gun I've built...a Half stock fast twist 50 call green mountain barrel...long story on the build but it started as an accident lol..I'm glad it happened and how it turned out...and it's accurate and a killer..can't wait for deer season!

Offline heelerau

« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2016, 01:40:10 AM »
Mate, what on earth are those two critters lying side by side?
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Daryl

« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2016, 01:47:19 AM »
woodchucks - ie: ground hogs - Eastern version of a Western marmot - herbivore - makes large holes in farmer's hay fields and pastures, also digs around buildings, etc. Large mound of dirt at main entrance (tips over hay wagons and breaks axles), with vertical escape hole nearby hidden in the grass so you or a domestic animal might break a leg by stepping into it.  They were vermin - field rats of the highest order - but young ones can be tasty.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline heelerau

« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2016, 01:52:22 AM »
We have wombats that do that sort of thing !! Thanks for that.
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2016, 02:23:59 PM »
woodchucks - ie: ground hogs - Eastern version of a Western marmot - herbivore - makes large holes in farmer's hay fields and pastures, also digs around buildings, etc. Large mound of dirt at main entrance (tips over hay wagons and breaks axles), with vertical escape hole nearby hidden in the grass so you or a domestic animal might break a leg by stepping into it.  They were vermin - field rats of the highest order - but young ones can be tasty.
I have literally shot 100's of whistle pigs whilst living in Davenport. Shot all of them with a single shot .22 with open iron sights from 50-100 yards. Had to use super dupper speed hollow points to put them down. Always knew I hit when I heard the ""thwop". Town had sprung up all around us and forced all the varmints onto out 6 acres. I have one old male living in hole my barn since I have been in New Liberty (6 years now). He's a cagey old boy, rarely ever see him and when I do it's just a flash. I'll get him someday....... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mossyhorn

• Jerry Dickerson
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »
Yep ! grew up on the whistle pigs both as a sport with all sorts of firearms and archery, including trapping, Mighty good table fare barbecued
when young. Hides make good strings and hunting pouches as the leather is very tuf and durable Also takes a mighty fine eye to see their nose poked out of the hole at a distance. Very good hunting practice for all ages before these blasted coyotes decimated their numbers around here! Almost forgot
they make good pets when captured very young but be careful of those chompers under their nose!
Jerry Dickerson

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #106 on: October 06, 2016, 08:24:00 PM »
I've heard them characterized as a "kill 'em all and ask questions later" critter.  Funny, but I see them all the time around the city; but have never run across one in the brush.  And yes, they do make good pets when captured young.  Pugnacious little guys, too.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »

First spring turkey with a flintlock...a long time dream come true...gun was built by "Bowkill" from a Tip Curtis precarve and a Colerain turkey barrel.   Rainy spring morning...opened up my eyes and boosted my confidence to hunting with a flinter

Love that wood on the fowler. I could carry around a smoothbore like that. How much carving is done on one of Tip's precarves?

First gun I've built...a Half stock fast twist 50 call green mountain barrel...long story on the build but it started as an accident lol..I'm glad it happened and how it turned out...and it's accurate and a killer..can't wait for deer season!
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2016, 08:21:22 AM »
Love that wood on the fowler. I could carry around a smoothbore like that. How much carving is done on one of Tip's precarves?
Somehow my post almost got lost amongst the flowers and the turkey, so I'm repeating it for clarity's sake.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Mauser06

« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2016, 02:24:50 PM »
Dark horse, I don't know...."Bowkill" on here bought everything from Tip and built the Fowler. Was for sale on here this passed April...I bought it from him.. ..I believe it was a Dubbs Fowler precarve..

Tips parts and kits are pretty well liked from what I've read...

Here's a few more pics..

I'm still blow away that a gun that size is so light and balanced...that's the 44" Colerain turkey barrel on it...

Patterns well too...very confident to 35yds. Funny no matter what I've tried it almost always throws a pretty decent pattern...and I've tried a number of different things...cant complain about it not being fussy! 

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
I admired that gun when he first built it an I still do now. Looks like its fulfilling its intended purpose to me as well ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

BradCayton

« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
I'm having a good time with my .62 trade gun this year. I put it together from a kit from North Star West. From small to big game these smoothbores are hard to beat.

I took this turkey this morning.

I plan to use it when deer season rolls around. It's become my favorite

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #112 on: October 26, 2016, 10:27:27 PM »

Spent the first part of the week in western Maryland for the annual bear hunt.  Shot this big sow Monday evening, sitting on the ground, at 10 yards, on public land, with my .58 P Berry I built last winter!  Heck of a hunt! Saw one smaller bear that same morning.

http://www.times-news.com/news/bear_hunt/maryland-bear-hunt-includes-rare-circumstances/article_83a29476-9add-11e6-af0f-f71a32c6583f.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:57:10 PM by Osprey »
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline madmtmike

« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2016, 11:08:53 PM »
terrific looking bear! Nice weight.
Hope you rendered down the fat!
madmtmike.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #114 on: October 26, 2016, 11:51:48 PM »
That's a big bear no matter where you hunt. 

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2016, 12:27:11 AM »
Nice Bear Osprey. Any 350# bear is nice but a sow that heavy is outstanding. Good job.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2016, 02:43:51 AM »
I haven't done the fat yet, but it's sitting in the cold room at the butchers for me, project for Sunday (3 more days of MZ deer up next).  Got two overfull 5 gallon buckets of fat off her, and that wasn't trimming anything small!  It was 2" thick on her back. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2016, 10:59:42 PM »
The internal fat, I think, is more precious than the outside lard and results in more actual oil  that is clear like gin, less shortening when rendering.
A double boiler system (safer) also results in not overheating the oil. Overheating produces more shortening, or HEAVY thick 'grease' which turns hard in colder weather.
Bear fat shortening makes terrific pie crusts.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2016, 12:26:21 AM »
Today was opener for fall turkey here in PA
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2016, 01:01:57 AM »
Nice bird. Beautiful rifle
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline PPatch

« Reply #120 on: October 30, 2016, 02:47:23 AM »
Nice! Love that picture also, nicely composed.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #121 on: October 30, 2016, 09:30:25 PM »
This "cat" stuff is for the birds!

Offline madmtmike

« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2016, 02:42:40 AM »
burnt, that is a beautiful looking rifle. Looks nice & light, unlike the rifles I've been carrying around.
Is that one of your own builds? I sure like the wood also.
madmtmike

Offline PPatch

« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2016, 04:37:24 AM »
burnt, that is a beautiful looking rifle. Looks nice & light, unlike the rifles I've been carrying around.
Is that one of your own builds? I sure like the wood also.
madmtmike

Mike - I got $0.05 that says the rifle is one of Jim Kibler's SMR's.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2016, 05:37:47 AM »
It's one of Jim's "seconds" He rejected it because of some heartwood. I couldn't resist the discounted kit price and quality.
I felt kind of funny buying a kit gun but after seeing one in person and receiving the offer for an immediate shipment, discounted "second" I jumped on it.
Light, well balanced, accurate and carefully engineered, this is the only gun I own that I did not build but is one of my
favorites.
Kevin   
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson