Author Topic: identify unsigned rifle  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

identify unsigned rifle
« on: December 29, 2015, 06:05:24 AM »
Friend inherited rifle bought in Indiana more than 50 years ago.  It is approximately 38 cal with straight barrel one inch across the flats 35 1/2" long.  Unusual details I haven't seen before are the "wings on the toe plate wrapped around the sides, the gold colored marks on the lock which appear to be either a gold paint or leaf which has worn off some.  Percussion lock uses a drum.  Lock internals aren't finest work but pretty well done except I think the main spring is a replacement installed not by a gunsmith.  Sorry I forgot to photo the lock internals.  pipes are plain round soldered to the metal rib.  Anyone familiar with this style and details able to tell us something of age and source? 

[URL=http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Carmentempe/media/DSC_1899_zpsikme963c.jpg.html][/URL]

« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 06:12:48 AM by Jerry V Lape »

Offline nord

Re: identify unsigned rifle
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 03:58:27 PM »
Generic is a word that comes to mind. Not in a bad way but more as defining a rifle of this period. The buttstock reminds me of a Huntingdon Co. PA creation with its narrowness and lines as does the trigger guard. The halfstock, though, with the silver (German silver I suspect) cap tells me otherwise and it wouldn't surprise me if some of the furniture was reused from an older gun.

Given the oval patchbox, the lock, and the application of the inlays I'd opine a very late rifle. Probably barely predating the Civil War. The inlays recall a previous era but are crude and mostly meaningless. Again, not a criticism. Just an observation.

What I'm getting at is that the finer rifles made twenty years previous might be viewed as an artistic composition. Inlays were incorporated into the design from the beginning and one might say they had a kind of flow and meaning. I can't see anything approaching artistry in this rifle and truthfully it would be mostly unexpected at the time this rifle was made.

When I look at the whole picture I see a piece made by competent hands. I'd not be surprised to find a Remington stamp on the underside of the barrel. My guess is that the gun had never been very far from where it was made. If one happened to know where in Indiana the gun was purchased, then I'd not be too surprised if the maker couldn't be narrowed down pretty closely.

In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

oakridge

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 01:12:21 AM »
Are those brass screws in the capbox and buttplate?

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 08:42:55 AM »
Nord, we are pretty much in agreement.  Have you seen that winged toe plate before?  I was a little surprised to see the lock constructed on a drum but there is a possibility the breech is hooked.  Owner was a little hesitant to have me take out the barrel but I will work on that issue over the next few days.

Oakridge, they are brass screws. 

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 04:53:16 PM »
The "winged" toe plate looks like it may be a repair to the toe. I agree with the generic aspect and that it may have received cycled pieces and parts.
Mark
Mark