Author Topic: Need ideas for safely storing longrifles  (Read 16144 times)

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
Need ideas for safely storing longrifles
« on: December 30, 2015, 01:58:42 AM »
Our home was broken into this summer.  Turns out it was the neighbor kid who knew we would be away.  I have a safe, but he did find my handgun (for the house protection) that was since recovered.  As a knee jerk we now have an alarm system.  He did come across some of my muzzleloaders that simply do not fit in the safe.  My guess is that he would have looked out of place walking down the street with a 42" barreled Fleenor squirrel rifle and that is why he left it :)

That said, I would appreciate any ideas that you may have to store muzzleloaders that do not fit in a regular safe.  Perhaps taller safes than my Browning exist.  I thought of an old chest freezer with a lock. Or a wooden box marked "Christmas Tree" that is locked in the back.  Both of these should go unnoticed by someone in a hurry.  Just a thought.  Thanks!

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
Re: Need ideas for safely storing longrifles
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 03:23:27 AM »
Keeping in mind you can only do so much and locks really just keep close to honest folks from making mistakes.The locked fridge can be a problem when they are also on a guest for beer.Christmas tree box maybe but your lock gives it away.I'm kinda partial to taking one of your deeper closets and making a false back to it,enough to hold as many guns you want to store.Smooth plywood painted same color as the rest of the walls,wood screws painted the same.With the coat rack running down the center loaded with coats,ect.you won't notice even sliding the coats out of the way.This with an alarm in the house should suffice. Keep in mind its for storage not a go to place for your go to guns in an emergency, a pain to pull all them screws.The next thing is don't tell anybody about your hiding spots if you told your best friend you told to many.You can be real creative,hard wood flooring that comes up with an area rug cover.Hinged stair cases,hollow fake beams in the basement,ect.Go on some of them where all going to die tomorrow sites or Obama's coming for my guns and you can get plenty of ideas,good luck and if they are real nice pieces insurance is a thought
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 03:26:16 AM by Joe S. »

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 06:28:28 AM »
Just my two cents. Video tape, record what you have. Take still pictures. If the gun has a serial number record it. Take this info after you have insurred them for what they are valued at. Sorry personnel value means little. Then put that in safety deposit box at a bank. An take Joe's advice make a hidden secure spot for them. Most thieves want to get in get out quick. An something they can sell without to many questions at the pawn shops. An like Joe said, make absolutely sure u trust who you so your valuables too! Because they might talk to someone that can't be trusted. Anyway good luck!

Offline Molly

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 12:00:57 AM »
I am of the opinion that taller safes are available but I have never ran upon one and they sure do not appear to be available at your local sporting goods chain store.  An alarm system is a good idea and I also have one.  It provides "piece of mind" but by no means is it a guarantee that someone won't break in.  The hope is that the alarm will minimize the time spent inside.  I had a false alarm once several months ago.  Neighbors gave me the time the deputies arrived and the alarm company and the system had the time the alarm was sent.  Took 15 minutes for the law to arrive.  Not bad but still one could cart out a lot of stuff in just 5 minutes.  I had three professionals provide security assessments.  All three seemed to agree.  The target of a thief is:  1  The bed room looking for jewelry, firearms and drugs.  All are generally found there or in the bathroom in the case of drugs.  2.  Dining room for silverware.  3.  Any room which shows a conspicuous  display of items that can be easily "fenced" such a AV equipment, lap tops, etc.  These same experts said longrifles would generally not be an attractive item to be taken as it would be too hard to quickly turn into cash.  The exception would be if the thief knew of and came specifically for them.  All my rifles are on display in my frontier room but very few people ever have an invitation to see them so they remain my secret for the most part.

For extended absences I do remove them and "hide" them as best I can.  And not usually all in the same way.  One or two may go in the trunk of a locked vehicle INSIDE the locked garage.  One or two may simply be in a gun sock standing behind a upstairs bedroom door.  But the best place is in the basement.  A partially finished area has a space below the upstairs floor and the downstairs ceiling.  After putting them in gun socks I place them in this space.  It is essentially putting them on the ceiling boards in the basement.  Totally out of sight and not at all easy to access.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 01:37:23 AM »
Taller safe is the best answer with an added alarm system if you can get a quick response to an alarm. Here it takes 15/30 min. for a response.. A safe will also give you some protection against fire damage. There are safes available that will store a very tall muzzleloader in a verticle position. You may need to order one but they are available. Most burglaries are guick in and out (smash and grab). If they know you will be away for along time you can't hide it well enough that professionals taking their time will not find it. A safe usually will protect your firearms. Tim

Online JPK

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 02:33:56 AM »
A unlined safe could be taken to a welding shop and the top could have a large hole cut in it, over that a steel box could be welded on to except the longer rifle. Cost shouldn't be to much and way less the the value of one rifle. A bit of paint and perhaps some type of lining would make it user friendly.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 03:00:29 AM »
I have a 72 x 42 x 32 Liberty that is badged Cabelas. It will take a 44" barreled LR and still has two top shelves.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline FDR

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 03:39:04 AM »
If you have a Tractor Supply nearby check with them. My local TS had a safe I could almost walk into and I and 6' 2" in my socks. Price was very reasonable, under $1 K if I remember correctly.

Kentucky Colonel

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 05:16:17 AM »
My dad wants to 'watch' my Kentucky long rifles on his wall.
Since he is retired and at home, he promises to 'watch it.'

That is the best security I can buy.  :P

garra

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:01 AM »
If you are looking for something just to lock a couple tall rifles in other than a big safe, try looking into lockers.  I have seen them 72" tall by  12x18" square. I found used units for about $50.00 at a material supply business when I was thinking about buying a rifle that wouldn't fit in my safe. 

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2015, 06:30:02 PM »
I didn't care that much about my modern guns as I could go out an buy replacements if they were stolen. When I started making flintlocks it was different and I needed to protect them from the local crack/meth heads.

I special ordered a double walled tall safe that will hold a gun with a 46" barrel. The tallest rifle I have now has a 42" barrel. I did have to cut out the shelves to have more length capacity.

My safe was pricy but I weighed how it would feel to come home to find all my guns gone, including the ones that were give to me from now dead friends as well as the ones I spent years building(I am slow), getting off my wallet was a no brainer.

A good friend just bought a gun safe for his massive gun collection. His insurance agent told him they have never had to pay claim on guns if the house had a gun safe.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:35:15 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »
One more thing; the delivery and installation charge on my 1500# safe was $200, the best money I ever spent.

The safe is bolted to the floor joists and has 4, 15,000 lb jacks underneath it to keep the floor from sagging.

Overkill I guess, but it was a project a long time in coming.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 06:42:05 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline gusd

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2015, 07:26:02 PM »
Kynoch,   I searched and found a Sentry tall safe. Inexpensive but well made.
I store only longrifles in it.  My Beck with a 46 in. bbl fits easily (I took out shelves).
Bad news is they stopped making the tall safe, but you may be able to find one,
mine was shipped from CA. I think Tractor Supply was a retailer for Sentry.
If you call sentry you might find a store that still has one. Wish I had bought two. :-[
Gus

Offline Molly

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2015, 09:59:50 PM »
Eric:  I cannot believe that you left your fishing gear totally in the open like that!  Disgraceful!! ;D

wet willy

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2016, 02:09:23 AM »
Storing firearms:

(1) Mentioned already is a false closet back. No need to screw it in, try a friction fit or magnetic latch. Deception is key: I know a person with a valuable antique firearms collection that lived in a remote area and employment that kept him away for a few days at a time. A truck and a few persons to carry out a gun safe would be an easy job. He installed a furnace heater shell next to the identical functioning unit, ran wires, ductwork, plumbing, filter, kept his collection inside.

(2) Basements and upper floors with only a single way in/out are a deterrent. Most burglars want another way out in addition to the way they came in, and first thing they do is unlock and open another doorway.

(3) Leave a few $20 bills on a table. Most kids will grab and run without going through the rest of your residence. Your $1,000 laptop is worth about $20 on the street.

(4) Leave in the open a firearm you are willing to loose (like a hardware store single barrel shotgun). I've seen an India made Lee Enfield Mk1 with bayonet attached as a sacrifice ... some kid who doesn't know how to dismount the 24" bayonet stuffing it in a car trunk would be a sight to behold!

(5) All the burglar alarms, TV cameras, alarm systems will be neutralized by a really skilled burglar that knows you have a valuable firearms collection. Safeguard youself with photos and insurance.

garra

« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 08:35:32 AM »
I checking into the Sentry safe to see if it was in stock at someplace.  This place let me add it to my cart, free shipping
https://www.poppopofficemachines.com/ stock number is a G1464C, their price was $503.10, a great deal if they really have it. 
I bought a Sentry when I was looking, the size I have is just a bit smaller, but my Fusil with a 42" barrel fits OK after I took the raised floor out of it. 

Offline Kynoch

• Starting Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2016, 08:29:11 PM »
Thanks much to everyone for their suggestions and leads!  Take care.

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2016, 11:24:31 PM »
A couple of years ago a nearby high school was replacing it's hall lockers. I grabbed a few from the dumpster (I asked first). All set up for padlocks almost 6' high inside and bolted to the wall and floor with ease. As stated earlier it won't stop someone who is a pro or is determined but it will discourage local punks.

and it is cheap!
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2016, 05:08:57 AM »
Big Horn makes one 71" tall inside height, one be here in morning, I'll take a pic....stay tuned....Tom

Offline rollingblock

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
under the insulation in the attic

Offline heelerau

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
I acquired a simple safe, basically a rectangular tube with a removable door in the end. I Had this lengthened be a local sheet metal shop to accommodate my Neil Fields lancaster with 44'' barrel, I can fit my squirrel rifle in as well.
 We have to have them bolted to both wall and floor with 40mm washers. A mate of mine had a large hole cut in a regular safe, and a box extension welded on.
    Concealment of your safe is also a good idea if possible.  Down under firearms regs require all firearms to be kept in a steel safe of some sort. I Still feel a concealed hidey hole is best as any safe can be broken into in time.

Cheers

Gordon
Keep yor  hoss well shod an' yor powdah dry !

Kentucky Colonel

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 10:15:12 PM »
under the insulation in the attic

This is gonna cause sweat over time and can't be good for the wood because of temperature extremes.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2016, 04:27:58 AM »
After you have everything secure and before you go, set up a trail cam in some discreet place in case you do have visitors.

ddoyle

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2016, 05:14:19 AM »
old chest freezer with a lock

Not sure if it is still the same but back in the day I recall various rashes of B&Es that targeted freezers specifically. Meat is expensive, Meth heads like sugary treats and a load of groceries can make you a hero with the trailer park hoes.

Old couches are free. Pretty much custom made for the application.