Author Topic: Need ideas for safely storing longrifles  (Read 16175 times)

Offline RonC

Re: Need ideas for safely storing longrifles
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 02:25:43 AM »
I have a basement with only one door leading down from upstairs. That door now is one with steel bars and a metal mesh. It attaches to a metal frame anchored into the wood frame with 3.5 inch anchor bolts. It has a dead lock and a regular door lock.
Will it keep a determined professional out? Of course not. But most burglars want to get in and out quickly, and this door will take some time to break through.
Also, there is an alarm system on the door that came with our cable TV contract. It dials the police as well as sounds an alarm.
Ron
Ron

Offline Gun_Nut_73

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2016, 08:04:13 AM »
I emptied a linen closet, replaced the hollow door with a solid one, and installed a deadbolt in place of the door handle.  I also used extra long bolts for the hinge screws, and added a hinge bolt to prevent anyone from removing the door by knocking out the hinge pins.

Brinch

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2018, 03:51:28 PM »
Im wildly sorry that I resurrected an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future.
I installed a $49 "Wally-World Special" https://secretstorages.com/best-car-gun-safe/ for my weapon security in my truck.....it's heavy steel, a very-heavy locking bolt, and bolted AND WELDED to the transmission hump, no smash-and-grabber is gonna get it, without a LOT of time and a torch....Made In China, but steel is steel.....I mounted mine under my console, but the OP could do the same type of heavy-duty mounting under his bench seats.
Any REAL, steel safe is better than the cheap, cable-lock stuff, and with proper mounting, they are your best and CHEAPEST bet, to KEEP your handguns and ammo secure, until your return....Like Isreal Putnam has said in his state, here in Kentucky the "No Firearms" signs don't have force of law, either, so it's a rare occasion when I stow my carry piece in there, maybe a trip to the Sherriff's office to pay property taxes once a year, etc.....I use my safe more as a secure backup for extra ammo and weapons, so I'll ALWAYS have a weapon with me, if I forget to strap-on my carry piece that day when I leave the house (it DOES happen from time to time, getting old is a Bee-Otch)....

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2018, 11:11:59 PM »
Call Greg at Drake Safe Company in  Roxboro, NC.  (336) 597-5059 Greg is an upfront, honest man. 

They can make you any size you need.  Extremely stout safes.  Way heavier duty than what you'd get at a big box store.  Quality locking mechanism. Very tight tolerances. 

I asked if he could make a long safe with a small footprint, thinking of longrifles.  He said, "Sure.  I have made long ones before.  No problem." 

In standard safes, the only way to get height is to get a wide, huge safe.  This is a great option for one that will fit in a closet, but is tall.

Just a plug for a good company.  God Bless,   Marc

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 01:53:36 AM »
https://www.sturdysafe.com/products/model-6028-6

They have several 72" tall safes.  Browse the website.  The safes are overbuilt. 

I also have an alarm system. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 01:56:12 AM by Scota4570 »

Offline 120RIR

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 06:24:52 PM »
If you're trending towards a tall safe, Homeland Safes are great and made right here in the US of A.  Look at their "Tall Rifle Gun Safe" - I got one last year for my original and contemporary long rifles.  Whatever you do, don't shop according to price.  Sure, there are plenty of "cheap" safes at Tractor Supply, Home Depot, Costco, etc. but there are darned good reasons they're cheap. 

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2018, 07:04:43 PM »
Had a wine cellar in the current house we're in. Immediately after buying the house, I removed the slanted wine rack from one side of the 6'x10' room, made a rifle rack for that wall and store 35 rifles on it. The ML's are stored muzzle-down on the 2x4 base with the stock leaning between wooden pegs. Works a treat. I would post a picture, but too many non- longrifles in it.
The side with the wine rack, is merely slanted shelves with a lip along the bottom.  I store other 'stuff' on the shelves. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:05:48 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V