Author Topic: Signatures on 18th century New England fowlers  (Read 4941 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Signatures on 18th century New England fowlers
« on: January 01, 2016, 10:24:43 PM »
Hi,
After looking at every photo I have at my disposal and consulting my notes on museum specimens, my impression is that NE gunsmiths frequently engraved their names on the lockplates rather than on the barrels.  That is if they signed their work at all.  Is that a correct impression?  I ask this because I am finishing a NE fowler and want to sign the work but I want to do it in an historically correct manner for those guns.  The owner is an historian and author and wants me to keep it as true to the originals as I can.

dave 
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline debnal

Re: Signatures on 18th century New England fowlers
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:41:07 PM »
Your fowler would be totally correct and accurate for that era if you sign it on the lock.
Al

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 11:44:02 PM »
That is a detail I wouldn't worry about. Sign it where you normally do. I'd engrave some fighting cocks on the barrel too. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 01:08:57 AM »
No. Most NE guns have imported locks with either no signature or that of a hardware dealer. I seriously doubt any locks were really made here but some do have a maker's name on them. Thomas Earle comes to mind. The problem is that they have to be signed before the lockplates were case hardened, as most were. Otherwise, they have to be annealed and re-hardened. That was certainly something that could be done and most likely was, but not frequently. Also, the famous faker, Teft, usually did engrave the spurious maker's name on the lockplate so a percentage of aren't kosher.

I should add, most NE guns aren't signed at all. When they are, it is most frequently seen on the barrel.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:10:09 AM by JV Puleo »

Tony Clark

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 05:36:06 AM »

Your fowler would be totally correct and accurate for that era if you sign it on the lock.
Al

Even if the builder didn't make the lock? Hmmm...

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 04:08:01 PM »
Hi,
Thanks everyone.  Tony, quite a few NE makers signed their work by engraving their names on the lock, regardless that the lock was an import or recycled part.  Joe brings up the issue of the forgeries done by the engraver Teff or Teft during the 1920s and 30s.  Supposedly, the great collector, William Renwick, gave up collecting NE guns because he was a victim of the engraver.  Anyway, clearly some makers at least signed the plates but I think most did not sign at all.  Some, like the Hills family,  signed on the buttplate return.  My gun represents a firearm made during the 1750s and most signed surviving examples that I examined are from at least 20 years later.  I think I will sign my work on the bottom of the barrel and let it go at that.  As Mike says, it is a trivial detail but the owner asked that the gun appear as historically correct as possible. He will use it during presentations on F&I and early Rev War history, and reenactments of Lexington and Concord.  Mike, the gun won't have any fighting cocks but it does have an engraved dragon head. Thanks again everyone for your input.  I appreciate the information and advice very much.

dave

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 04:12:11 PM by smart dog »

Offline debnal

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 05:17:42 PM »
Dave,
I'm afraid that the answers to your question, including mine, were not supported by any facts. So, I searched through Tom Grinslade's book on fowlers and came up with the following;
In the New England section, there are 21 fowlers that are signed by the maker. Sixteen are signed on the lock, five on the barrel. Of the five signed on the barrel, all but one are 19th century guns. The other one is dated 1797. Of the 16 signed on the lock , all are 18th century, most being Rev War and before. The names of those signing on the lock are Allen, Manning, Waldren, Pomeroy, Earl, Johnson, Barrett, Sawyer, White Wille, and Hills. In addition, I have four maker signed COS type muskets. One is signed M. Hills on the Dutch musket lock, one is marked Johnson on the typical Worchester/Sutton French type lock, one is marked S. Barrett inside the French 1742 musket lock, and one is marked on the English trade lock (just got this one and doing more research at he present time.) I also just sold a John Hills flintlock pistol- signed on the lock. I believe there was a Thomas Holbrook pistol sold recently, also signed on the lock.
So, if your question is concerning a Rev War, Lexington/Concord type fowler, then it would be most appropriate to sign it on the lock.
Tony- It appears that the locks that are signed by the fowler makers appear to be not made by the maker but most appear to be European.
Al

Offline debnal

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 05:44:36 PM »
I forgot to mention that a friend of mine has an early NE fowler signed "R Falley in Westfield" in script on the barrel. Of course, this would be Richard Falley. Long ago I had a Falley fowler that was signed on the lock.
Al

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 05:52:43 PM »
Hi Al,
Thank you very much for your research and input.  I have Grindslade's book and also noticed a lot of NE guns with signed plates.  I did not tally them as you did.  I also looked at guns in museums.  Some had signed plates and some nothing that I could see.  I posted my question to cast a wider net than my own impressions, which it did.  Maybe I will sign the plate.  I'll think about it.  Thanks again Al.

dave

Offline debnal

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 10:47:58 PM »
Dave,
If you were making the fowler for me, I would want you to sign it on the lock.
Al