Author Topic: Freguson rifle  (Read 7829 times)

Offline debnal

Freguson rifle
« on: January 01, 2016, 10:43:32 PM »
Saw this on gunbroker. Has anyone ever seen the original he refers to?
Al

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=534638748

Offline Canute Rex

Re: Freguson rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 08:08:57 AM »
I have seen a photo of a sporting version, or perhaps an officer's version of the Ferguson. It had the same lines as the one in the ad and checkering around the wrist. Not as decorative in terms of carving and engraving. That at least tells you that there was someone producing a non-standard upscale version.

No idea about the royal one, but there is a recent book on the subject of Ferguson that would mention it. The title is something "Every Insult and Indignity." Apparently Ferguson met with a lot of resistance from traditionalists.

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 11:36:56 AM »

WOuld anyone have a copy of Dr. Dewitt's
British Military Flintlock Rifles as mentioned in the ad?

If so I would dearly appreciate knowing if he gives any measurements for the breech screw taper or any other measures in the appendices.
I'd even more dearly love to know the numbers but would be satisfied buying the book if I knew my answers were in it.

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 06:05:46 PM »
“Every insult and injury” refers to the treatment of Patrick Ferguson’s body by American Rebels after they killed him at Kings Mountain. He was vilified by them and they associated him with Banastre Tarlton with whom he cooperated during the Southern campaign.

Ddoyle, I sent you an email. Most Ferguson rifles have straight plugs. His patent was for a straight plug rifle. The two known Ferguson Ordnance Rifles (Morristown, NJ and Milwaukee) have tapered plugs at .070” in the 2” plug length. DeWitt Bailey’s book has some measurements in it, and my Ernie Cowan museum copy of the Morristown rifle is very accurately reproduced from precise measurements of the original, using no shrunk castings. Both sources are at home in Anchorage and not accessible to me until Jan 16, when I return to my Boreal Paradise after suffering this week of exile in the Sandwich Islands.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
Al you might try contacting Ron Scott builder of the rifle and ask if he worked from pictures to build the rifle. Just a thought. Tim

ddoyle

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:34:16 AM »
Thanks guys, Bill I will ring you once you are done suffering with all that sand and sunshine. Appreciate your generosity.

Great to know that Ron built that rifle. Imagine having the talent to leave that behind in the world.

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 05:30:59 PM »
The details of the Sporting Ferguson that inspired this project are most easily veiwed in the Book, Guns of Windsor Castle. I believe the customer obtained some additional prints from a personal source. The Stock wood is Burl Madrone. The customer furnished tha barreled action. If I was doing this project again, I would design a more graceful barrel profile.

Offline heinz

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:28:44 AM »
Ron, that really is exceptional work on that rifle.
kind regards, heinz

Offline Ron Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Heinz. It was certainly outside my usual requested style of Flintlock. It is a nice break in routine to venture into a new form. I have an over- under Germanic Rifle coming up next on my workbench.