Author Topic: Postal Shoots  (Read 12333 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Postal Shoots
« on: January 03, 2016, 11:27:59 PM »
Have you guys ever had these, or considered them? They're great when you're not close to any BP shoots. The closest one to me is 250mi round trip. It's hard on the mud tires on my Jeep.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
Re: Postal Shoots
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 05:06:32 PM »
So, I see we have no postal shoot fans here.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 05:18:18 PM »

Is this "going Postal" or?????????

Bob Roller

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 05:21:54 PM »
Tried it on another site, 3 times,. A lot of fellows said they would participate but the most I got for any shoot was 6. Not worth the effort.
Mark
Mark

rhbrink

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
Actually six shooters is pretty good! I have ran several Postal events over the years and still score for some on another shooting discipline and it's very hard to get anybody to actually do it. You will get a lot of people that say they want to shoot a Postal but when it comes time to actually do it they just simply disappear.

My experience anyway.

RB

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 05:33:59 PM »
Yes, I agree. It's the biggest problem. The NMLRA used to have postal shoots, and they shut it down too. They were getting about 75 shooters, and I guess that wasn't enough for them.

I'm mainly a hunter, but I still love the competition of BP shoots. I wish one was closer to me.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:42:11 PM »

Is this "going Postal" or?????????

Bob Roller

Long distance (edit: any distance) shooting matches where everyone shoots the proscribed course of fire, and then mails in the targets to be scored/entered.  

Or in modern days, posts pics of self-scored targets online.

Could be great fun. I've done a couple, back before BP took over my shooting.  

Like hunting, the Honor System is all we really have to keep slimebags from modifying the rules to fit his/her liking. So long as prizes and accolades are kept very small, liars and cheats tend to stay out of the game.

It's about 45 miles to my local monthly shoot and they don't compete...so I don't really push going down there (have only been a few times).  I like to compete.  

« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 12:16:02 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 09:07:39 PM »
Daryl organized postal shoots for the ALR a couple of years, but the participation was very low.  I don't know if folks shot their targets, and were so ashamed that they didn't mail them in, or what.  But lack of interest killed them (postal matches).
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 11:55:12 PM »
Too bad.  I've shot quite a few postal shoots on other forums but participation is always a problem in general.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 12:11:59 AM »
I know, and it's so sad that guys can't commit. Most everybody can get to shoot once a month.

It's really frustrating for me, because I could turn in a target every day if I had to. Lots of time and powder.  ;D

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:10:30 AM »
Back in the day, our high school had a small bore rifle team.  We'd shoot two matches against each team, one postal, one in person. It was amazing how some schools always shot much better in the postal match.
Kunk

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 06:35:26 AM »
No surprise with kids.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 09:23:56 PM »
The postal matches I ran here, were chunk matches.

Candle Snuffer also hosted a postal match here at ALR - here's one thread on it.  I still have my target on the back wall in my shop.  I ended up with a 27 for score - not counting the crossfire onto Taylor's sighter target - LOL. It was only a 1 anyway. Every shot would have been in a moose's lungs, however, with 8 of them inside an 8 1/2" triangle, pretty much centred on the target. Some were offhand, some sitting with cross sticks. I managed to get 3 inside the centre 5 and one missed that by 1/2" for 3 points +2 other 3-pointers, scoring total of 24 for those 9 scoring shots.

Taylor and I shot this postal match together.  There was a LOT if interest here, but Taylor, myself and Candle Snuffer were the only ones to turn in scores. Kerry shot the match, but that year, I think he was the only one who showed a target.  Taylor and I had one practice shoot, but never got together for another match, that was it. I still have 2 targets ready to shoot.

We do need to do this again. Perhaps we could use the same target and shoot it at 100yards, or use a reduced version - 1/2 size would give 2 targets from each Bristol Board?

My oft posted pictures shooting my .69 cal. rifle, were taken by Taylor when I was shooting the offhand 5 shots for that first match.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=8806.0
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 10:29:19 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Maven

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2016, 03:08:11 AM »
I'd be interested in a postal match, but our range is barely 100 yd.  I did Daryl's chunk match once, but if I recall, some complained about the over-the-log positioning (hard to get into position, or worse, get up from that position if you're of a certain age ;)). 

Wade, I just did a CBA BP muzzle loader match where you had an option to email digital images of the targets or just the score (honor system).  Btw, "Jethro" (Jim Green) over on the Traditional ML Forum runs a postal match almost every month.  Targets are not traditional, but always both interesting and challenging.

Lastly, what happened to the NMLRA monthly postal matches?  I thought participation was quite good, but I didn't like waiting forever for scores to be posted (even volunteered to help score them, but never received reply from them).
Paul W. Brasky

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2016, 03:12:42 AM »
100yds would leave me out of it. My hunting range is under 50yds with my vision.

All my shooting is offhand.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 03:24:55 AM »
Why does the interest in a postal match always happen when the temperatures here are way below zero?  For crying out loud....let's do it in the summer.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 07:14:11 AM »
It would take that long to get it organized.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 07:31:51 AM »
I wouldn't mind getting into another postal match. Its been awhile, and the few we've had has always been enjoyable to rehash.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Maven

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »
Why does the interest in a postal match always happen when the temperatures here are way below zero?  For crying out loud....let's do it in the summer.

Taylor, I'm with you!  It's far too cold to shoot comfortably at this time of year:  Late spring or summer is the better choice.
Paul W. Brasky

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 06:29:08 PM »
What sort of postal shoot did you have before? I read a chunk gun. That's bench shooting. Is that what you have in mind again?

Offline ScottH

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 07:18:32 PM »
If a postal shoot gets some traction on ALR I'm in.

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2016, 04:41:56 AM »
What sort of postal shoot did you have before? I read a chunk gun. That's bench shooting. Is that what you have in mind again?

Well we've had a chunk gun shoot (ran by Dayrl), and we had a 10 shot long range 200 yard shoot that was not really a postal match but a match more to see how we'd do shooting patched round ball from 200 yards.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 11:27:11 PM »
I think a target similar to the one Candle Snuffer set up, maybe 1/2 size and using a range of 100yards would be fun.
Only criteria, shooting with another forum member if possible - THAT is the most fun!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 10:53:18 PM »
We did one in 2006. 

I had forgotten most of the details but did remember that I volunteered to place the match and results on my web site.  Took a look and it's still there!

http://home.mindspring.com/~45-70-350/alr_postal.htm
Mike Lee

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 11:20:04 PM »
100yds? Oh yeah! I remember i could see that far about 30 years ago.