Author Topic: Field Research Update - Square cleaning patches for PRB  (Read 16170 times)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Field Research Update - Square cleaning patches for PRB
« on: January 09, 2016, 12:40:15 AM »
Added photos of my field research results further down this thread.

So, while perusing the buffet of cleaning patches at the local gun establishment, it dawned on me that I could probably find a use for some of them as patches for lead ball.

I recall having read that some have described having quite good accuracy using square patches, so I did some math (let's see π x d, so 3.14159 x .490", take half of that... so it's about .77" halfway around a .490" lead ball).  So I picked up a 1000-pack of 1.125" patches, after determining that they measured around .011" with a compressed micrometer.

I will put some into a Ziploc and squirt some Lehigh Valley Lube on them for lubrication.

Anyone else use inexpensive, cotton square cleaning patches for your PRB?  
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:40:25 PM by bones92 »
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Square cleaning patches for PRB
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:53:02 AM »
They may blow apart.

Offline bones92

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:38:06 AM »
I wondered about that.  These are the Pro-Shot patches, listed as 100% cotton flannel, "finished both sides".  They seem pretty strong.

At worst, I can use them for cleaning between shots.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 03:56:32 AM »
Eleven thousands is too thin IMHO so you would need two thickness's but even then the weave might not have enough integrity to not burn through. You can try and use them for cleanning  patches like you said if it don't work out.

Offline bones92

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 04:47:04 AM »
I'm using .010" patches already, so I can't see .011" being terribly different. 

Clearly, some "field research" is the only way to satisfactorily answer this question.  :)

Offline Candle Snuffer

• Traditional Muzzle Loading, Powder, Patch & Ball
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 04:53:19 AM »
Why not just buy some blue pillow ticking and make patches? It's easy and very cheap.
Snuffer
Chadron Fur Trade Days

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 05:13:34 AM »
Chalk if up to the learning curve..They might make good cleaning patches..
I cut up 100% cotton t-shirts for cleaning.
Save your powder and ball.
Get your self a dial caliper and head to a fabric store to buy real patch material.
You need to seal the rifling groves to achieve accuracy.
use Pillow ticking or cotton duct material.
Stay away from the packaged prelubed patches at the gun store.
Good Luck

Offline bones92

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 05:31:00 AM »
Agreed, but these are dry, square, cotton cleaning patches. 

I may try them out to see how they do.  Part of the fun is fiddling around with what works and what doesn't.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 02:34:51 PM »
It is fun to try different things...just to see what happens. As to your current experiment...
I tried exactly that 'bout 40 yrs ago.
In MY rifle, with MY load...didn't work worth a darn. Those patches you bought would make a decent wiping/cleaning patch for me...your experience may differ...and that's the fun part...!!  ;D

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline bones92

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 02:43:28 PM »
I will say that if it weren't for the fact that these are truly woven cotton, I wouldn't have considered it.  I will try them out next time I'm out at the range.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 05:17:49 PM »
Cleaning patches are flannel. I'm afraid that you will find them not durable enough for shooting. Next time you are in a Wally World with a sewing department buy yourself a yard of flannel for cleaning and a yard of pocket twill for patching.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 05:54:58 PM »
Bones, I know the heavy duty military cleaning patches you are referring to and they may actually hold together.  As you have said a test is in order.  My problem is that I have dozens of samples (yards) of prospective shooting patch material bought for testing.  I found one I like but cannot remember where I got it.  If the military patches work well I hope you can find a steady supply.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »
If you try them, don't be surprised if they end up smoking /burning on the ground.  Flannel catches and holds the flame, as my friend cam attest to.  Watch you don't start a fire.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 06:10:32 PM »
 When buying patching material, it all about thread count. Cleaning patches just don't have enough threads per inch to make them strong enough for a shooting patch.
 Oh, and by the way, when was the last time you guys "grabbed your dial calipers, and went to the fabric store". The fabric stores in my part of the country don't stock pillow ticking anymore. They get most of their fabric from out of the country, and only have a vague idea of what it's actually comprised of. They buy partial bolt, so you might get some, or you might get none. Now I will admit the only fabric stores in my area are of the chain variety, so a small independant store might serve you better.

Hungry Horse

Offline bones92

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 06:12:53 PM »
So if I try shooting a few, what should I look for?    I would expect that the patch should remain mostly intact.  I suppose an inadequate patch will be torn away from the ball, correct?

Offline Longknife

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2016, 07:24:19 PM »
The patch, after firing should not have any holes, cuts or burn through...hold it up to the light and look closely. It may be frayed around the edges though but should be in good enough condition that you could use it again...But....and most important, has your accuracy been changed??? If your accuracy went south then the patch is not sealing, if you accuracy remained the same (or got better?) then use 'em... no matter what the look like!!!...Ed
Ed Hamberg

Online WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2016, 09:36:31 PM »
A good patch and a smoothly radiused crown and any reasonable load and decent rifling

equals

a re-shootable patch.  

I don't think you'll ever achieve such with any cleaning patch, but load up and fire away.  I'd never use .010" either-except for a bench only gun that's wiped 3 times every shot.  Where's brother Daryl?

I have shot many of mine 2x, after that fraying can become an issue.  That's where i get all my "pre-cut" patching, in front of the firing line.  :P

Mine are made of heavy denim from logging pants (cut off, un-worn material).  

And I never use cleaning patches for anything.  Tow is for cleaning.  ;)

Be careful and don't buy stretchy denim...it's all the rage unfortunately.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:43:38 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Daryl

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2016, 11:10:14 PM »
Getting tired, Wade.  I use my wife's old panties for patches. :o
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2016, 01:56:35 AM »
If you try them, don't be surprised if they end up smoking /burning on the ground.  Flannel catches and holds the flame, as my friend cam attest to.  Watch you don't start a fire.

I didn't see any mention in the OP that the square patches he is looking at are flannel. Long ago I had several thousand military cleaning patches that were almost canvas like.  I believe they were WWII vintage.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2016, 02:28:24 AM »
 Placing a card wad between the powder and the patched ball might allow you to use these patches without them failing.
                                              Dan

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2016, 02:28:50 AM »
 So I picked up a 1000-pack of 1.125" patches, after determining that they measured around .011" with a compressed micrometer.

Now you have 1000 patches that probably won't work as shooting patches, or cleaning patches for your .50.

Offline little joe

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2016, 09:30:06 PM »
Use the cleaning patches for cleaning period. Depending on the barrel make a .490 ball and some .016-.022 cotton or linnen  and you will be in bussiness.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2016, 10:50:50 PM »
How can he clean with a 1 1/4" patch?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2016, 11:15:36 PM »
Double them over a correctly sized jag should work just fine.
We usually grind the jags to get a double thickness of flannelette (like diaper material) to fit nice and snug as a cleaning patch. They are the best.

As a shooting patch - not e- they are cleaning patches only - cleaning patches lack the toughness & close weave needed for a shooting patch. I was kidding about the panties, btw. :D
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 04:40:29 AM »
Daryl, which side of your head did your wife smack for the original comment?  It might be a clue as to whether she is right eye dominant or left. ;D