Author Topic: Russel Hamm Rifle  (Read 19697 times)

summit15

Russel Hamm Rifle
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:22:19 AM »
Hi All
Wondering if anyone can give me some info on this rifle. I assume made by Russell Hamm? I have had it for years and never was able to find out much about him or when it may have been built. The inside of the lock is unmarked. I have never fired it but plan to do so.
Thanks  Paul

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Russel Hamm Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 04:53:05 AM »
I think there used to be a lock maker by the name of Russ Hamm or something like that.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Russ Hamm assembled locks and lived in Indiana. I don't know if he ever built a rifle
but his locks show up once in a while.

Bob Roller

(Note from moderator: This reply has been edited to remove comments unrelated to this topic. -Ron)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:00:17 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:03:35 PM »
Note from Moderator:  Several replies that were not related to this topic have been removed.

Hi Paul,

Welcome to ALR.  I've heard of Russ Hamm, but don't know much about him.  That is a nice looking rifle, would appear to be well made.  Hope your enjoy the rifle and your time here on ALR.

-Ron
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 09:21:49 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 09:20:37 PM »
Hamm locks were passe' by my time but I always figured he was probably a gunmaker as well. Looks to be a real nice rifle considering it's probably pre 1970.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline mark brier

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:55:08 AM »
Russ Hamm lived in both Crawfordsville Indiana and lastly in Veedersburg Indiana. He did assemble locks back in '60's and 70's, and were of poor quality at best. He did build a few rifles and restored some originals as well. In 1967 he was restoring a Dickert rifle and while in Russ's possession my grandfather T.K. Dawson went over and took several before and after photos of that rifle, and also made drawings and carving foil transfers to which I still have. That particular Dickert can be seen in Kentucky Rifles and Pistols on page 74. However the book lists it as a 45 cal that was not the original bore size. As best as I can see from my photos the barrel was originally larger than 54. However sadly as may be once things are put into print it is taken as the gospel.

Mark Brier

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 02:13:17 AM »
Here are some pictures of Russ Hamm locks. They were pretty good in their day but not up to today's standards.

summit15

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 06:15:33 AM »
Thanks to everyone for the comments and info. Here are a couple more pics  Found a little info on this forum apparently Hamm did not make many rifles.  Its 45 cal. Mule ear lock as you can see.   

summit15

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 06:18:40 AM »
Nate
 those locks look great displayed like that. I assume Hamm would have made my lock. I can find no marks on it.
Paul

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 03:54:45 PM »
Could your rifle have been built for Russ an that might be why his name is on it? Just a thought . I have a couple of Russ Hamm locks an they worked fine. If he did build your rifle he did a fine job on it. Imho Thanks for posting.

rhbrink

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 05:25:52 PM »
I built a 45 cal long rifle about 1970 or there abouts with a Russ Hamm Maslin lock that is one of the fastest flintlock that I have ever shot to this day. A lot of people made fun of it one fellow shooter called it Olde Ugly and the name stuck! It wasn't pretty being my first attempt at building a flintlock but I did win many, many matches with it. I still have that lock but after being fired who knows how many tens of thousands of time it is very much wore out. I still have the rifle the stock has the finish just about worn completely wore off the lock mortise is so loose that it would have to be completely rebuilt. The barrel and triggers were replaced at least once maybe twice. Yet it hangs in my shop and every once in a while I get the urge to restore the rifle?

Richard

Offline hornturner

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »
I remember seeing Russ Hamm frequently at gun shows in central Indiana that I attended with my father when I was growing up.  I also remember visiting Russ's home in Crawfordsville, IN at one time.  He performed some restoration work on the forestock of a Kentucky rifle for my dad at one time, and the work was maybe O.K. for the time period (late 50's) but certainly not up to suitable standards now. Non-matching wood type and lots of black paint to hide.  He did borrow the M.M. Maslin lock from dad's rifle purportedly to use as the pattern for his Maslin style lock.  I believe he later sold his lock business to Dean Mitton from Veedersburg, IN who continued making and selling "Hamm" locks for a number of years.

I recall that later on, Russ Hamm wintered in Florida for a few years, and I think it was during this time that he offered re-soled frizzens that sparked really well, but were re-soled with some type of radio active material. 

My first scratch built rifle utilized on of his Dickert locks, which sparked well, but wasn't very tight, nor did the closed frizzen seal the pan.  Tom Dawson told me there were better locks available, and I moved on to other types as a result of his sound advice.

Art DeCamp

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 08:17:22 PM »
As Mike Books said that is one heck of a rifle for the time frame.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 12:23:51 AM »
As Mike Books said that is one heck of a rifle for the time frame.
Pretty !@*%&@ good engraver for any time!
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

summit15

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 04:44:06 AM »
Thanks again for all the comments and info.
It is a nice looking rifle. I've had it for about 25 years. Always thought it is well done but not quite up to the standards of
some of the modern makers. I also own a nice William Buchele I would guess is from around the same period as the Hamm. I think the Buchele is a bit better in overall craftsmanship, but doesn't have as nice of a "period" look as this rifle. I cant believe I never fired it but have more time to play now.
Cheers  Paul

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 08:23:42 PM »
As an aside, Russ Hamm bought his castings from an investment casting foundry in Madison Heights, Michigan. It was just west of I-75. I think they would cast from their customer's waxes, at least were said to do so for fancy custom stainless hood ornaments (remember them?) in the 1970's.

I can not remember the name of this foundry. Anyone have a better memory? It has been gone for years.

And yes, I very much like that rifle.

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 02:16:13 AM »
Any chance of some inside pictures of the lock? It is a beautiful rifle.

summit15

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2016, 03:51:44 AM »
Will do

summit15

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 12:55:03 AM »
Some pics of the lock and cheek side of the stock.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 01:07:07 AM by summit15 »

Offline Howard

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 02:41:59 AM »
Years ago & visited Russ at his shop in Crawfordsville. Was there several times & remember his as a tool & die maker. I think he worked at Donnelly's . His porch going into his shop was loaded with great powder horns & bags & Kentucky's.  He did do some gun building & restoration & he was a collector .  I didn't live far from him.

summit15

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 03:30:31 AM »
Thanks Howard, do you remember the approx.. Year?

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 06:32:21 PM »
 I was hoping you would show the other side. That really is an incredible rifle.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 10:19:22 PM »
I whole heartily agree with you Michael!  Can I call you Michael....Mike.  After seeing this fine rifle by Russ Hamm and the Armstrong piece by Houston Harrison on the blog this week, I find that there really was some fine work being done back in those early contemporary days! 
Joel Hall

Offline 44-henry

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 11:21:42 PM »
Thank you for posting the additional pictures, that is a very neat looking rifle and I always like to see inside those mule ear locks.

summit15

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 12:50:13 AM »
Thank you all again for the info and nice comments !