Author Topic: Pyrodex  (Read 34762 times)

leviathan

Pyrodex
« on: January 10, 2016, 02:46:48 AM »
  Wonder if you guys can help? I have heard both ways_ Pyrodex can be used in Black Powder barrels and  no don't use it because of safety reasons. So fellows, which is it?  I know its hard to clean but powder is almost impossible to get where I am. Pyrodex is readily available along with Triple. ???

Offline moleeyes36

Re: Pyrodex
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 02:55:32 AM »
If you do some searches here on the forum you'll see several posts describing the highly corrosive nature of Pyrodex and how quickly it will ruin a barrel.  If you must use "reproduction" powder, it's my understanding that Triple 7 is not corrosive.  However you can get black powder delivered to your door from many sources including Powder Inc.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 03:09:57 AM »
You can have BP mailed right to your door.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline J Henry

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 03:22:10 AM »
 Never used anything but Pyrodex and Never had any problems at all.. didn't know I was doing it wrong all these years,been using it for 33 years,,in 5 different rifles in 5 different states in all weather conditions, from Florida to Maine,if you clean your rifles like you should  you won't have any problems either...
  However your mileage may very,,what ever floats your stick....
     Dalai Lama: was credited with saying:When you talk you only repeat what you already know,But when you listen you may learn something new..see you up the trail,if your in the lead ..please don't spit..

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 03:52:02 AM »
Never used anything but Pyrodex and Never had any problems at all.. didn't know I was doing it wrong all these years,been using it for 33 years,,in 5 different rifles in 5 different states in all weather conditions, from Florida to Maine,if you clean your rifles like you should  you won't have any problems either...
  However your mileage may very,,what ever floats your stick....
     Dalai Lama: was credited with saying:When you talk you only repeat what you already know,But when you listen you may learn something new..see you up the trail,if your in the lead ..please don't spit..

Do some searches on Pyrodex for postings by Mad Monk, Dphariss, and others and do some reading.  You're never too old to learn something new.  And neither is the Dalai Lama.  ;)

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 05:14:19 AM »
Traditional muzzleloaders were designed to use black powder. So, that's what i'll use.

Offline J Henry

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 07:02:30 AM »
  if it ain't  broke !!!!!!!

Offline little joe

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 01:15:45 PM »
I don,t think it works , very poor or will not work at all in a flintlock

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 04:03:15 PM »
  Wonder if you guys can help? I have heard both ways_ Pyrodex can be used in Black Powder barrels and  no don't use it because of safety reasons. So fellows, which is it?  I know its hard to clean but powder is almost impossible to get where I am. Pyrodex is readily available along with Triple. ???

Leviathan,
Several years ago I raised the question about P-dex on the BP-L forum and got answers from people who appeared to know what they were talking about. It IS corrosive and destructive. The thing that caught my attention was that the smoke-fumes are dangerous and contain cyanide. Several chemists on that form backed this up. As to 777,it is an unknown to me and like some others have said,REAL black powder can be sent to your door.

Bob Roller

michaelB.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 06:33:41 PM »
I've frankly never used Pyrodex, and I have always associated it with those who hunt with in-line rifles with scopes and all the other bells and whistles possible, then brag about how they are "Primitive" hunters.  BAH!  Predujiced?  Dang right!  Oh, and the nice thing about Powder, Inc.  is that you only have to purchase a half case of powder and they will mix in 2F, 3F or 4F in the order.  Their customer service is tops and they are nice folks to deal with.  I've been ordering from them for a couple of years now.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:36:05 PM by michaelB. »

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 06:49:33 PM »
Sounds like you're just beginning to learn the truths of BP.  This is a good place for that.  A HUGE resource.  This topic comes up every few weeks.  over and over.  

and over

and...

from 2012:

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=23868.0

Wonder if you guys can help? I have heard both ways_ Pyrodex can be used in Black Powder barrels and  no don't use it because of safety reasons. So fellows, which is it?  I know its hard to clean but powder is almost impossible to get where I am. Pyrodex is readily available along with Triple. ???
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 06:53:37 PM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 08:53:45 PM »
I too have used it off and on for various reasons.  I've always cleaned promptly after shooting regardless of propellant.  While I've read many of the pros and cons of pyrodex , i can report that my barrels are just fine.  Single biggest draw back is ignition temperature which can be problematic.
Mike Lee

Offline J Henry

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 10:46:27 PM »
  What ever works for you   go for it.I have Never had a problem with Pyrodex other than during any and all discussions about it.. >:(
 As far as Pyrodex smoke/fumes having Cyanide in the it,lots of things are bad for you and in some places you would never suspect,,take for instance  Apples,, the seeds in apples contain Arsenic.. I  eat apples and feed them to my Grandkids....
   I have no problem with using either BP/Pyrodex or what ever you want to use.When I started shooting Muzzle loaders the teaching/learning curve was,,learn as you go where I was...
 Always shot Cappers so Ignition/temperature was not a problem.Deer season here is cold for the most part but the Pyrodex always has gone off.
   Use what ever you want, no hair off my back..

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 04:05:21 AM »
Your shooting a black powder rifle...Shoot black powder in it.......
If you shoot a sub.don't wait till you get home to clean the bore..Just saying.
Its your bore....
Unless your a felon..You can have black powder delivered to your door..Period.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 04:11:19 AM »
I don't think they stop felons from buying BP.

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:14:57 AM »
Its not the powder ..Its the possession of a firearm that's the issue!.....

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 05:49:46 PM »
Leviathan, you better listen to these guys and use powders that are proven to not rust your bores. I too have tried pyrodex. One morning I went hunting  and shot a deer in the rain. I then put black tape over the muzzle and nipple to keep the water out while I gutted the deer and dragged it back to the truck. I then took it to the processor and then went straight home to clean my gun. It was full of rust and I had a hard time getting it back to its normal rust-free condition. If you cant find black powder, by all means use tripple 7  .  I have been using it since 2003 and it will not rust your barrels. I have run tests of keeping a clean gun loaded with it for extended amounts of time and when I shot it , it shot with the first drop of the hammer and the barrel cleaned up fine with no rust. jmho

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 06:53:12 PM »
Do you know the definition of TopKnot?

Offline little joe

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 10:43:39 PM »
I have shot black powder for 45  yrs and I have a can of the first Pyrodex to hit the market and its still half full. I have kept it as a reminder as my expearment in my  stupidity. A lot of guys say it is as fast as BP however if you stand back and watch them shoot you can hear a slight delay, and the cleaning is no easier.

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 11:58:49 PM »
   I plan to shoot up the 5 lbs of Pyrodex given me over the last few years.  In my first "build" a Dixie precarve, Dixie lock, Dixie Italian .40 bbl.  so  if the bbl goes to Hades, I won't really care.   I do care that anyone who knows the first thing about ML rifles will never see it,  sight dovetails about 1/8" deep, lock panel about 1/2 around, forend like a 2x4.  Maybe you have seen one like it.  I look at it and  are reminded what not to do.
  I like to shoot alot,  that makes cheep shootin', so there ya go.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2016, 06:55:28 AM »
Back in 89 we were hunting in -23 degrees F.  At the end of the day we emptied our rifles before getting in the truck. The guys with Pyrodex in their guns went to fire their guns and their guns went "Ka-Pow" and the balls went skipping across the ground. In all fairness the Pyrodex they were using was the first run made back in the 70's when it came in cardboard cans.  My buddies had a bewildered look and went and bought a new can.  My rifle fired full blast with black powder.  If you can get Pyrodex to fire off I have seen some really good groups with higher velocity though.  Back in the day I remember my percussion rifles all had a slight hangfire with Pyrodex. You could perceive sound of the hammer hitting the nipple then the report.

I believe if you pay attention to  your cleaning and use a good oil and check for rust often Pyrodex will serve you well.  If you think you have it clean and oiled and slide it under the bed in a case and open it up 6 months later I'll guarantee you will have a rusty gun.  You cant figure its clean and oiled you have to know it and check it often even if  your using black powder.

Guys at the local matches struggle with their sidelocks when using Pyrodex getting them to fire.  But not all of them pay attention to what is needed to fire Pyrodex reliably.  A good hot cap well fitted and a good clean flash channel and it'll fire albeit with a slight hang in some guns.  If I were inclined to use Pyrodex again I would use the finer "P" grade

Bob
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 06:59:05 AM by Leatherbark »

hammer

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2016, 12:04:09 PM »
Pyrodex has a higher ignition temperature than BP.     Hence not suitable for flintlocks or percussion where there is a long channel to the main charge.   

Smokin feathers

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
WaterFowl

http://www.americanjourneys.org/

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 04:14:57 AM »   
Its not the powder ..Its the possession of a firearm that's the issue!.....

Actually felons can use archery gear n muzzleloaders,  grafs will also mix n send straight to your door n you dont have to send any paperwork in first like powderinc n price has worked
Out better for me n caps are a good bit cheaper.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2016, 07:12:41 PM »
Actually felons can use archery gear n muzzleloaders, 

Not in the state of VA!

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-a-convicted-felon-own-a-muzzleloader-and-a-cro-1730779.html

"•Virginia law specifies that it shall be unlawful for any person who has been convicted of a felony to knowingly and intentionally possess or transport any firearm. A muzzleloading firearm is considered a firearm under Virginia law. Any person prohibited from possessing, transporting, or carrying a firearm under this law may petition the circuit court of the jurisdiction in which he resides for a permit to possess or carry a firearm." http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...ns/general.asp
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline crankshaft

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2016, 07:27:43 PM »

some states/cities use  no "Projectile".