Author Topic: Notes on Southern Long Rifles  (Read 5803 times)

Offline diamante

Notes on Southern Long Rifles
« on: January 11, 2016, 03:39:29 AM »
I have a keen interest in long rifles of the East TN/Western NC region and keep seeing references to a four volume set of books by Jerry Noble on this subject.
As far as I can tell these books have been out of print for some time and used copies are very expensive. Does anyone know if this valuable resource would be considered for reprinting in the future?

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Notes on Southern Long Rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 04:32:51 AM »
 Welcome to the A.L.R.. Jerry still has some books left. He does not advertise them any more but still sells a few at the shows and mails some out now and then.   JIM
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:35:43 AM by jdm »
JIM

Offline diamante

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 05:53:42 AM »
Anyone have Mr. Noble's contact info? If so please pm me.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 08:29:08 PM »
I bought my set from him a couple years ago. The pictures are b&w and for the most part good quality. The main thing is that for Southern rifles it's the best available for the information and the guns shown, and I appreciate his efforts to gather this info. He included his contact info and his phone # is 309-582-2852.

Another book to consider would be one by Dennis, here on this forum. It's well worth the cost, and concentrates mostly on the Gilespie family makers.

John
John Robbins

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 08:53:02 PM »
Jery usually has them with him for sale at the Princeton Gun show at the end of Feburary. Curt Johnson runs this show and can contact Jerry. I have Jerry's phone number, send me a PM and I will provide you with their contact info.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline diamante

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 09:24:17 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for responding to my request. I have contacted Mr. Noble and had a nice conversation with him. I also have a set of his books on the way.
Thanks again

Steve

Offline B.Barker

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 05:34:27 AM »
Ray McKnight has a nice DVD out on southern rifles also. He shows several SW Virginia as well as Tenn. and NC iron mounted rifles.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 07:02:37 AM »
To see a number of antique Southern longrifles, try to come to the April 22-23 Tennessee Kentucky Longrifle show, held just outside Knoxville.  Jerry is usually there, as well. See Upcoming Shows in the Classified section of this forum for more information.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 07:04:27 AM by WElliott »
Wayne Elliott

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 03:47:30 PM »
I have a keen interest in long rifles of the East TN/Western NC region and keep seeing references to a four volume set of books by Jerry Noble on this subject.
As far as I can tell these books have been out of print for some time and used copies are very expensive. Does anyone know if this valuable resource would be considered for reprinting in the future?

If you have not looked through the southern rifles that we have in the ALR virtual library you may want to check it out. See this link : http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=112.0

Here is a link to some iron mounted rifles: http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?board=65.0

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson