Author Topic: small Slile flint  (Read 5038 times)

Offline crankshaft

small Slile flint
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:48:09 PM »

I have several Siler flintlocks; from Jim, bought elsewhere, and a kit I put together, ( after replacing a few innerds).
But I have no knowledge or experience with the small flint Silar, except percussion.  Is it as fast as the large flint?  I plan to eventually make a target rifle, kinda southern style.   Thoughts?   Experience?      thank you...

Offline little joe

Re: small Slile flint
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:24:33 PM »
Having used several of Jim,s locks I think the small Siler is faster

Offline stuart cee dub

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 05:30:18 PM »
Small Siler  flints are really fast .My recollection is several people on this board have posted testing results on these and this was the quickest .
One of the best off hand target shooters I know has a rifle that has the small siler flinter on his money gun.
Maybe it is because being smaller there is simply less movement until the flint meets the frizzen .

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 08:22:51 PM »
Lots of target shooters here have the small siler rather than the large. It is a great lock.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »
The small Siler on my .36 skwerl rifle is really fast; I can attest to that one.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline diamante

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 03:13:10 AM »
The small Siler is very fast and dependable.

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:45:06 PM »
Using the Chambers' Small Siler flint lock, I get better ignition and flint life by inserting a tumbler made for the large deluxe Siler and using a larger flint. Great lock.
Gene

Offline EC121

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:16:14 PM »
I'm getting close to having one with the tumbler mod ready to try.  Just have to finish the rifle.  Supposed to have a bit longer throw, and you don't need the small flints.  We'll see if it is so before too long. 
Brice Stultz

Turtle

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:13:45 PM »
  I lengthened the sear on my small siler to get a longer throw.
                                                       Turtle

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 04:49:38 AM »
For the past several years we have been using the deluxe or golden age tumbler in all of the small Siler locks we build.  It has a longer distance to the half cock position which makes using a longer or more standard size flint possible.  The standard small Siler tumbler required a very short flint in order to have the lock at half cock and the frizzen closed.  Most of the small Siler flintlocks we sell are assembled by Bud Siler himself.  Bud has been working for us building the small flintlocks for a number of years.

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2016, 05:24:11 AM »
With a hacksaw, a file and about half an hour or less of time you could make one of our gunmaker's locks into the mountain style fairly easily.  Just a thought.