Author Topic: Joseph fry  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Joseph fry
« on: January 14, 2016, 04:23:14 AM »
Our local gunsmith sent a man to me today with Joseph Fry half stock made in Ligonear. Can anybody tell me something about him?
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline nord

Re: Joseph fry
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 04:35:22 AM »
Joseph or George? Nothing on the former and very little on the latter.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 04:37:58 AM »
Maybe it was Jacob.  I'm thinking George was his father  and was  from Bedford
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 04:17:39 PM »
Correct on George. If a son followed him, then the gun would be very late. In any case I've seen nothing past George as far as gunmaking in the Fry family.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 05:08:30 PM »
Joseph Fry 1826-1891, gunsmith in 1850 Ligonier census and 1870 census.  Ancestry.com shows him
as son of George from Bedford.  Well made, but very plain little halfstock, curly maple with hardware
store fittings.  stamped Joseph Fry on barrel.  Owner's family was from Ligonier.  Passed down through
family for generations.

Offline Col. Barnett

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 12:34:23 AM »
Jim Everett has posted pictures of some of the Fry Brothers tools that he has acess to in Ligonier and will probably chime in here shortly
I have this information about the shop from a walking tour guide to Ligonier.

216 E. Main St. –Built in the late 1820s as a four room residence, this structure
was constructed of handmade bricks with Loyalhanna Creek stones used to form
the front steps. Noted gunsmith John Fry occupied the house from 1854 to 1864.
His gunsmith shop was at the rear of the property. Charles Clifford bought the
property at auction in 1894. He added the front porch and rebuilt a stable at the
rear of the property. In 1997, the 100 year old box elder tree, also located at the
rear of the property, was declared a Tree of Distinction by Westmoreland County.

Did you happen to get any pictures of the gun?

Ric

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 04:04:23 PM »
Thanks for that information Ric.  I don't have any photos but I think I can get them