Author Topic: Bedford Country Rifle Builder Todd Housel  (Read 6840 times)

Quillgordo

Bedford Country Rifle Builder Todd Housel
« on: January 15, 2016, 08:44:59 PM »
I have long been a fan of blackpowder rifles.  At a gunbuilders show a few years back at Bushy Run Battlefield in SW PA, I met Todd Housel.  Todd is a descendant of Daniel Border a Bedford County gun builder in the 19th century. Todd built for me a flintlock 45 cal rifle using maple harvested from the area.  Aside from being very accurate with a great set trigger, the rifle is beautiful.  Not an over the top build, but one representative of a builder of the period.  It has coin silver inlays and some nice carving.  I then had him build me a 36 cal. percussion squirrel rifle that has 15 silver inlays.  I love this gun.  Todd builds only a few guns a year, and I would recommend him to anyone wanting a historical Bedford rifle. I'd love to post a pic here if someone would tell me how to do it.  Thanks

Offline davebozell

Re: Bedford Country Rifle Builder Todd Housel
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 12:02:41 AM »
Check the tutorials.  There are a couple in there that will help you.  If that doesn't work, send them to me and I will post them for you.

JimTom

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:02:45 PM »
This is my 1st comment on this forum and I hate the fact that it's a negative one. Many of us invest thousands of dollars when we purchase a rifle and I believe we need to be very careful as to who we recommend  or acknowledge as an established builder as done so in this thread.

chubby

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:15:58 PM »
Being a builder and from Bedford co. myself i have seen a lot of Bedford rifles that were made. some fantastic and some ok. my point is i could recommend many top notch builders that i know,but that does not mean others will like or buy there guns they build. if you dont like the style or build dont buy it!! But i would still recommend them!  Chubby

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 02:17:08 AM »
This is my 1st comment on this forum and I hate the fact that it's a negative one. Many of us invest thousands of dollars when we purchase a rifle and I believe we need to be very careful as to who we recommend  or acknowledge as an established builder as done so in this thread.
    I think the poster made a fair assessment of Todd's skills. He's a capable builder and a heckuva nice guy.  He builds an accurate representation of a Bedford County rifle. Nobody was comparing him to Jud Brennan.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:09:35 AM »
A fellow member gets a couple rifles built for him and he likes them and gives the guy a good review. What's the harm in that?I also think anybody with half a brain wouldn't have a rifle built without seeing the man's work and doing their own homework making sure he's your guy and wouldn't go off one post on this forum.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 05:25:48 AM »
Yes, this is simply a conversation.  Do your own homework!  Then buy with confidence.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Molly

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 05:45:02 AM »
Now I'm not REAL sure 'bout this but best as my little brain can recall I have never seen any work represented hear that I would not be pleased to own.  OK, sometime maybe not at the price offered, but still quality work.  And even to those who call themselves "beginners" or say, "my first rifle",  it's a darn lot better that I could do!

Offline davebozell

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 03:00:53 AM »
Here is the picture of the Housel rifles that Craig wanted to share:

Quillgordo

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 03:30:38 AM »
Thanks Dave.  You are a gentleman for doing that!