Author Topic: 50 cal squirrel hunt  (Read 3681 times)

Offline bowkill

50 cal squirrel hunt
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:45:39 AM »
Finally found a place that had some squirrels. Had to take 50 cal because my squirrel rifle is not done yet. When i got out of the truck and loaded my gun, i forgot and dropped 75 grains of 3fff instead of just 40 like i usually use for squirrels. Shot this one at about dark and it was at about 60 yards if i was guessing right. It was a good shot on my part, shot offhanded straight up. Like to cut him in two.

And here is a few of my little rifle, got to do a bunch more sanding and straighten out a few things still.

Has a 40 cal getz barrel.
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: 50 cal squirrel hunt
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:40:58 PM »
The .50 is a beautiful rifle.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 10:15:52 PM »
 I am sure the technique of barking squirrels came about when somebody out hunting big game found themselves in squirrel heaven. It isn't as hard as it sounds. A .50 cal. ball striking a limb right under a squirrel kills more often than not, and the meat isn't wasted.

Hungry Horse

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 12:54:16 AM »
I once barked a squirrel with my longbow and an arrow tipped with a field point. I was actually trying to do just that and consider it one of the best hunting shots I ever made, between thirty-five and forty yards. Other than a smear of blood about the nose, not a scratch on it.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 03:21:42 AM »
With my .50 on squirrels I usually aim for their nose. Still have some meat left unless you like the brains. I couldn't rifle hunt squirrels and take head shots when a kid. My grandmother loved squirrel brains. She would fuss If I took the heads off and say I threw away the best part. I remember her cracking their little skulls open with the but of her butter knife and picking out the brains with a little sharp 3 tine fork.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA