Author Topic: Hacker Martin Rifles  (Read 10752 times)

Offline Dave B

Hacker Martin Rifles
« on: January 19, 2016, 08:48:53 AM »
I have only ever held a pair of pistols made by Hacker Martin so I can only say I would like to examine these rifles for sale at Gunbroker.com  He certainly seems to have a talent for making you  want to take a closer look at a piece. The pistols were very workman like and rough in execution with the mounts up close, but from a distance, I swore they were originals. I enjoyed reading about him in my copy of foxfire 5.  http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=537611965
Dave Blaisdell

Online Majorjoel

Re: Hacker Martin Rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 10:40:25 PM »
Hi Dave, there is just something about seeing a post about Hacker Martin that always gets my attention! Been a fan of his since reading Foxfire 5 as well.  I've seen several of his rifles over the years, but never owned one. Might say that finding a nice Hacker flinter is on my bucket list.   
Joel Hall

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:50:18 AM »
Dave an Joel if I am not mistaken. The CLA is raffling off  An HM at next year's show in August. If the info I saw at the show is correct an I read it right. Of the two guns on the other sight. Guess I am chicken. If I can't hold them in my hands I don't bid. An the your stuck with it with no chance of return seals it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 02:56:53 PM »
All the H. Martin work I have personally held in hand was pretty rough, although I hear that always isn't the case. You also have to take into account when they were made, he was a link from the past when only a small handfull were making ML's.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 06:14:36 PM »
I've seen several guns by Hacker Martin, some were very nice and some were pretty rough.  I wonder if the nice ones were made in his younger years and the rough ones later in his life?  Maybe the eyesight and dexterity began to fail him?

No matter, his contribution to keeping this fire burning should be appreciated.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

DFHicks

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 04:59:27 AM »
I have a Hacker Martin flintlock pistol he made for me in June, 1969 at his last residence in Appomattox Co., VA.  I went to his place on a Sunday afternoon and stayed in his house while he worked on the pistol.  He finished it Friday afternoon and I left the next morning.  He worked on it for a few hours after supper every day.  He provided the meals for my stay as part of the price of the pistol.  He did all the cooking as his wife had passed away a couple of years before.  Breakfast was corn meal mush which I had never heard of despite being from a rural Virginia background.  It wasn't very good.  He was using a shed roof chicken house as his shop because his mill shop had burned several years before.  He lost everything in that fire and never fully recovered.
As to the pistol, well it is rough.  Mr. Martin's eye sight was failing, his hands shook to the point he could no longer play the fiddle and just generally couldn't turn out the work he had done in the past.  I was there in June, '69 and he passed away the following May.  The price of the pistol was $150.00 including lodging (back bedroom of his old farmhouse) and meals.  I still have the pistol but that isn't the most important part to me.  I had, in my mid-20's, the opportunity to spend nearly a week with the last living link with our muzzle loading past.  He knew and told me about the old days in East Tenn. when a man did not leave home with out his rifle.  He also had a lot of humorous stories (not jokes) about that time and place.  He served in WWI as an airplane mechanic.  I took some B&W photos which aren't so good but they are great keepsakes from that stay with Hacker Martin.
This has been longer that I intended but I kind of relived my experience  46 1/2 years ago while writing this.
Regards,
Greg

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 05:12:43 AM »
Greg,

That was a great experience for you I'm sure.  I enjoyed hearing the story; thanks for sharing it with us.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 05:24:59 AM »
Currently there is a HM flint rifle,marked -for Lenord Meadows,and a LMedows both on gunsinternational,Dave Condon seller.Not cheap but worth looking at.Have a goodun Dave F  ;D

Offline Clowdis

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 06:08:56 PM »
I grew up about 30 miles from Appomatox, Va. where he last worked and I certainly regret never getting to know him or even know of him. I even have family in Appomatox! I'm sure I could have learned some aspects of the trade even if it wasn't how to make the highest art form of the longrifle. Just seems like a great guy to have known.

Big Wolf

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 03:46:21 AM »
I have a Hacker Martin flintlock pistol he made for me in June, 1969 at his last residence in Appomattox Co., VA.  I went to his place on a Sunday afternoon and stayed in his house while he worked on the pistol.  He finished it Friday afternoon and I left the next morning.  He worked on it for a few hours after supper every day.  He provided the meals for my stay as part of the price of the pistol.  He did all the cooking as his wife had passed away a couple of years before.  Breakfast was corn meal mush which I had never heard of despite being from a rural Virginia background.  It wasn't very good.  He was using a shed roof chicken house as his shop because his mill shop had burned several years before.  He lost everything in that fire and never fully recovered.
As to the pistol, well it is rough.  Mr. Martin's eye sight was failing, his hands shook to the point he could no longer play the fiddle and just generally couldn't turn out the work he had done in the past.  I was there in June, '69 and he passed away the following May.  The price of the pistol was $150.00 including lodging (back bedroom of his old farmhouse) and meals.  I still have the pistol but that isn't the most important part to me.  I had, in my mid-20's, the opportunity to spend nearly a week with the last living link with our muzzle loading past.  He knew and told me about the old days in East Tenn. when a man did not leave home with out his rifle.  He also had a lot of humorous stories (not jokes) about that time and place.  He served in WWI as an airplane mechanic.  I took some B&W photos which aren't so good but they are great keepsakes from that stay with Hacker Martin.
This has been longer that I intended but I kind of relived my experience  46 1/2 years ago while writing this.
Regards,
Greg

That is a great story, thanks for sharing, please post the pictures, I'd enjoy seeing them.

DFHicks

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 01:43:19 AM »
Big Wolf,
I just saw your post this afternoon (2-7).  Sorry but I do not know how to post even digital pictures.  These are black and white 35 mm snap shots which I don't think would come through clear after being scanned.  However I just checked and I still have the negatives.  If you or anyone else knows how to get them digitized I'll send you the negatives.   Also if you want to just get them developed, I'll do the same.  I know they will make photos as a friend of mine had copies made after digital photos had taken over.  I don't remember exactly but it was quite a while back.  Just send me an e-mail through this site.
Greg

Big Wolf

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 04:37:38 PM »
Unfortunately I'm an old guy too, so that would be beyond my capability as well. The do sound like interesting pictures though, nice memories.

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 07:36:17 PM »
Jim Coon was one of the early members of the NMLRA and had a FINE Hacker Martin rifle with silver mounts and forearm inlays from silver dollars. Bill Large had one made in the mid 1960's and the wood was green and when Bill took the barrel off the forearm made a very pronounced radius to the right. It had 6 forearm keys holding the barrel.John Morris,a local dealer got a Hacker Martin pistol in a trade and it was terrible but I imagine by that time Hacker was dead or close to it. The lock was barely functional from poorly fit parts.
This is a study in progressive loss of skills and probably eyesight as well and Hacker shouldn't be condemned for getting old and still trying to work. I feel very fortunate at nearly 80 that my eyes are still good and no tremors in my hands...yet. I don't have the level of stamina I once had so I have cut my work hours per day.
My wife gets on me about long work days but she works every day for our city parking board and is in the hospital as I write this because of undetermined chest pains. She is 73.Pray for her if you will.

Bob Roller

realtorone

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 11:50:07 PM »
Bob Both of u are in my prayers

George

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 12:25:19 AM »
My wife gets on me about long work days but she works every day for our city parking board and is in the hospital as I write this because of undetermined chest pains. She is 73.Pray for her if you will.
Sorry to hear that Bob, will keep her in our prayers.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2016, 01:08:39 AM »
    Both of you  are in my prayers.  Sincerely Oldtravler

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »
To all who have offered to pray for us,we sincerely thank you.
My wife,Brenda is home now and off work until next Tuesday.
Nothing life threating found but diet modifications mandated by the cardiologist.

Bob&Brenda Roller

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2016, 03:54:14 PM »
To all who have offered to pray for us,we sincerely thank you.
My wife,Brenda is home now and off work until next Tuesday.
Nothing life threating found but diet modifications mandated by the cardiologist.

Bob&Brenda Roller

Great news Bob!

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2016, 06:24:02 PM »
  :)That's good news Bob. Glad all is well. Take care . Oldtravler

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2016, 06:29:24 PM »
Glad to hear of Mrs. Rollers improvement...........Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry