Author Topic: New England fowler finished  (Read 17027 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
New England fowler finished
« on: January 20, 2016, 10:28:20 PM »
Hi Folks,
Finally finished this New England fowler.  It is the first of that kind I’ve made and I had help from great photos of an original from Mr No Gold and advice from Mike Brooks.  The owner is an historian, teacher, and author and the objective was to make a historically correct appearing gun that might have been made in New England during the 1750s.  Yankee smiths did not waste anything and recycled parts, so that is what I did as well.  I had castings from Blackley’s for lock made by Griffin during the 1730s.  I had a Getz, 46”, 20 ga barrel hanging around, and some cherry that I logged 30 years ago.  I added a trigger guard from an early 18th century French trade gun, gathered together some old sheet brass and mild steel, and off I went on another historical adventure.  I made the butt plate, thimbles and sideplate from sheet brass.  The sideplate represents what a rural Yankee gunsmith might have made inspired by the cast sideplates on some French trade guns. The engraving is very simple without a lot of shading.  Sort of cartoon-like.  I worked within the context that the gun represented the work of a good rural gunmaker like members of the Pomeroy family in western MA.  I also worked quickly and deliberately, and finished the stock with files and scrapers.  No sandpaper was used.  I tinted the cherry and sealed everything with a built up finish of polymerized tung oil.  I hope you enjoy the photos and constructive critique is always welcome.

dave   

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: New England fowler finished
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »
Very nice smart dog, love that cherry, nice and warm!!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »
You did good. The only thing I would have done different is the buttplate finial. You could still send it to me and I wouldn't complain.... ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:48:23 PM »
Wonderful fowler.  Are the lock and tang screws blued?  Can you tell me about the buttplate attachment
method?  Nice work.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 11:15:32 PM »
 A Beauty Dave, Well done. That tapered rod tip is neat too.

Tim C.

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »
Very fine.

Offline old george

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 11:19:23 PM »
Very nice fowler indeed. Love the Cherry finish as was stated earlier nice warmth to her. Whimsical sideplate a nice touch. :)

geo
I cannot go to Hades: Satan has a restraining order against me. :)

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 12:06:44 AM »
Super nice!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 12:23:17 AM »
Dave,
You did a great job.  It is a wonderful looking fowler, no bells, no whistles, just a beautiful functional gun for a working man seeking a touch of class.  I like it very much.
David

thimble rig

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 12:57:01 AM »
Excellent job.The owner will be very pleased with it.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 12:59:52 AM »
Smartdog what can anyone say. Another well done firearm from you. Thanks for showing us.

Offline mark esterly

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 01:31:54 AM »
wow
living in the hope of HIS coming.......

Boatman53

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2016, 01:42:28 AM »
Nice job Dave! Always like seeing your work here or in person.
Jim

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2016, 01:45:44 AM »
Very clean, looks right.  Terrific job on the buttplate. Very cool.
Andover, Vermont

JCurtiss

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2016, 02:02:30 AM »
Beautiful, you should be very proud of yourself!

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2016, 02:06:58 AM »
Very cool Dave.  I am also interested about the butt plate attachment.  Nailed into a countersink and then filed smooth?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 02:22:48 AM »
Beautiful . These are probably my favourite guns, and your interpretation is superb. It's going to be a real shooter, too. I can tell  ;D

Offline Percy

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 02:25:58 AM »
Nothing I can add to what has already been said except I like it very much.

Percy

Offline Bill Paton

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2016, 03:36:23 AM »
Not surprisingly, it is beautifully done, Dave. Don’t feel bad about Mike’s comments. He is just grumpy because his finger still hurts and he has a cold and can’t smell the aroma of his chickens well enough. When his neighbor found out, he started pushing harder to up the aroma index by many orders of magnitude. The butt piece finial reminds ME of a two piece New England patch box finial from a few decades later. I’m certain they were inspired by your fowler! For that reason, I really like it.

No offence, Mike. Don’t give in to your neighbor for at least a week. Your sense of smell will return and you will be happy with the status quo again.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

ddoyle

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2016, 10:52:27 AM »
Thanks for sharing. That is inspiring.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2016, 03:11:01 PM »
Earlier posts said it wasn't fancy but it sure isn't mundane in anyone's book. Very nice indeed.

Offline tallbear

• Global Moderator
  • Mitch Yates
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2016, 04:19:33 PM »
Very nice Dave,I like it a lot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mitch

thimble rig

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2016, 04:31:51 PM »
I really like that fowler.Nice piece of wood.I know I'm just a rookie and don't know much.But dang you guys sure do some good work.If youre coustmer isn't satisified with that give me a call and Ill take it off your hands for sure.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for looking and the supportive comments,

I had a lot of fun with this gun and I learned a lot.  Mike, the buttplate return would look better if it bent over the heel full width and then had a longer return.  I was inspired by photos of a colonially restocked blunderbuss shown in Neumann's "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" and from the original Cookson fowler.  The idea was a rural maker familiar with French guns but stingy on expensive materials, hence the pointed finial but short narrow return.  The plate is held on by screws that were countersunk, peened, and filed flush to look like round nails.  I felt the screws would hold better through the ages than nails.  I took a lot of time fussing over the design because I was not familiar with making one of these guns, however, when actually working on the gun, I went very fast.  Over 75% of the shaping was done with a #49 Nicholson pattern maker's rasp.  The wood along the barrel channel is very thin and I should take a photo of the gun without the ramrod so you can see how slim it is. It weighs between 6.5-7 lbs.  Schreck, the screws heads are case hardened and then heat blued.  The color will wear and fade over time but when new, they look good against the brass.  Again, thanks everyone for looking at my work and taking time to comment.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2016, 05:37:35 PM »
Very well done. Anyone would be happy to own that.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana