Author Topic: Christian Hawken rifle  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Christian Hawken rifle
« on: January 23, 2016, 12:45:04 AM »
I may be nuts, but does anyone else think the Christian Hawken rifle in the library looks like a Bedford rifle?
Could it be a restocked barrel?  Anyone have photos of other works by him?

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4545.0
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Christian Hawken rifle
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 01:26:24 AM »
Rob,
I owned that rifle for a while, a nice rifle. It's the same rifle in the link Dennis posted from Simens website. Some say the Bedford makers were influenced by the Maryland makers.

Dennis,
The 1st rifle (link) is a Schweitzer. I am pretty sure of it, I have an identical rifle with a similar patch box. The carving is almost identical to my rifle.

Buck

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 11:40:57 PM »
There are a lot of Bedford qualities on this gun. I have seen some of these features on guns from other areas, but not the distinctive hammer. Most guns with this type of hammer are Bedfords. IMO.

Hungry Horse

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 03:58:17 AM »
Hungry Horse,
The Hawken was originally flint and the double triggers (originally had a single trigger) and trigger guard were a later addition that was installed in the Armstrong shop. I might be wrong but the proper progression (I believe) is the Bedford rifles contain many Maryland features.

Buck

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »
Hungry Horse,
The Hawken was originally flint and the double triggers (originally had a single trigger) and trigger guard were a later addition that was installed in the Armstrong shop. I might be wrong but the proper progression (I believe) is the Bedford rifles contain many Maryland features.

Buck

I believe that the Bedford  evolved out of the earlier Maryland rifles.
As you indicate, those saying that the Maryland rifles look like Bedfords need to instead say that Bedford rifles look like Maryland rifles. Look to Armstrong's locks.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 06:52:05 PM »
So what happened to the rifle in question. The one Shreck posted; http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4545.0

There were pictures the other day, but all I see now are x's instead of pictures?

John
John Robbins

eddillon

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 07:28:08 PM »
Ditto that, John.

eddillon

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »
Photobucket is down for maintenance.