Author Topic: Original D. Young Rifle  (Read 6412 times)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
Original D. Young Rifle
« on: January 23, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »
Hi all.  I picked this rifle up at the Allentown, Pa. gun show.  It is signed D. Young on the barrel. Does anyone know anything about him??  Thanks in advance.
Barrel-  40in x 15/16in. straight, about 36cal.  7 grooves, shiny bore.
LOP- 13 1/8in.
OAL- 54 1/4in.
Lock- flint marked Metcalf
DST- must set to fire but not to cock.
Butt- 1 1/8in. x 3 5/8in.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
Re: Original D. Young Rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:23:35 AM »
I should have mentioned:  The patchbox opens through the toe plate. There is a three sided flap in the middle. Pressing on it transfers through a bar to release the catch spring.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 03:18:03 AM »
She's a beauty Nate. Thanks for showing her
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

longrifle

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 06:34:28 AM »
Very pretty.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
I think she was lightly sanded or steel wooled and then linseed oiled.  I think the lock mortise area and behind the cock show
what it was like before this was done.  Fortunately they did a nice job and didn't ruin it.  I think it was probably almost black
previously.  But I've been wrong before.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:26:36 PM by Shreckmeister »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 11:18:37 PM »
Shreckmeister, I see what you mean. I figured it was just oil seepage from the lock.

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 11:31:06 PM »
Oops! I pasted the wrong Email from a friend in the now deleted post above. Here's what it should be:

I really like your Young Rifle.  Does the patchbox open from the toe plate?  Every Young I’ve ever looked at has this unusual feature for a Snyder County rifle.  I’m beginning to think that you really like these upper Susquehanna pieces.
Young, D. – c. 1840 – Middleburg – a rifle made by him is in the collection of the Snyder Co. Historical Society.  This rifle indicates that he was a fine maker.  He was mentioned in Smith’s article for the Snyder County Historical Society. He probably later worked in Centre County. The information on this rifle states: The information on the gun identifies it as: “ made by Daniel Young, Middleburg, Pa.  45” barrel, 12” stock decorated with flowers and ornaments bronze and silver inlayed fish on the barrel engraved on the firing mechanism: J&W Aston Abranter”
The piece at the Snyder County Historical Society is somewhat like yours and has his typical patchbox (like yours) which he didn’t seem to vary very much.  I have seen a few of his guns which look very late and have a mid western look to them.  I even saw a half stock by him once.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:33:53 PM by Nate McKenzie »

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 12:49:00 AM »
That rifle just gets prettier the more you look at it.  Lucky find.

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 10:10:58 PM »
Very nice looking rifle for sure. I enjoy that it is ornamented but not gaudy.

eddillon

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 07:29:34 PM »
No photos.  Just the little box with X

eddillon

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 07:32:21 PM »
Looks like the problem might be with photobucket.com  Site seems to be down.

eddillon

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 09:11:07 PM »
I think she was lightly sanded or steel wooled and then linseed oiled.  I think the lock mortise area and behind the cock show
what it was like before this was done.  Fortunately they did a nice job and didn't ruin it.  I think it was probably almost black
previously.  But I've been wrong before.
My opinion is if the original owner kept it clean, why shouldn't the current owner care for it in the same manner?  I have rifles that I bought new 60 years ago.  I keep them clean and oiled.  They don't need the "patina" of 60 years of sitting there untouched and not cleaned to be appreciated.  If the original owner lived as long as this beautiful rifle and maintained it, it would appear as it does in the photos.  Just my opinion. ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 11:16:43 PM by aka california eddillon »

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 05:48:33 PM »
Do you guys think that this originally had a pinned single trigger? Looks to be like a pin hole on the opposite side of the lock side that may have been a pin to hold the trigger......may have been changed out at one time.....

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 10:23:01 PM »
Beautiful rifle Nate! Nice find!  Looks ready for the shoot'n match!
Joel Hall