Author Topic: Turner kirkland. 40  (Read 7860 times)

Smokin feathers

Turner kirkland. 40
« on: January 24, 2016, 06:12:57 AM »
Lookin to buy a 40 cal made in belgium with turners name on barrel, brass patch box single trigger n excellent shape. Neither me or seller has a idea what it worth

Offline smylee grouch

Re: Turner kirkland. 40
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 07:16:25 AM »
Pictures would help those that might know.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:34:10 AM »
Hard to say. Could be a production gun. Then again could be one he built? Hard to say. Seen the Tennessee mountain rifles for around $500 that Dixie sold. Which Turner owned. Like smylee says need pics to offer a fair guess.

Smokin feathers

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 07:36:11 AM »
Cant get them to post off my phone,

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 04:56:32 PM »
I have h as d a couple over the years. They were early production rifes that the Turner imported. They were nice rifles for the time,  60's, and they shot pretty well. Today if they bring more Than $300 they have to be in 100% condition.
Mark
Mark

Offline Daryl

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 10:32:59 PM »
I remember seeing those 'long rifles' in pictures when he went to Africa & took some of those guns with him - all .45's I think - along with that original Rathbone SXS 6 bore that he used on an Elephant.

The looked BAD in the 70's, let alone today. You'd be better off saving some more money and buying something from Track.

Note, this is merely an opinion - others may value them differently.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 07:55:39 PM »
I have one, though I haven't shot it yet as I need to either replace the rear sight or find the aperture sight that fits my particular one (it was modified by an original owner).

These have a reputation for being superb shooting rifles.  Mine is in pristine shape, though some fine gentleman named Wayne Turney adorned it back in 1957.

I personally wouldn't sell mine for less than $300, probably more.  There's one that's been relisting for a year or two on Gunbroker at $1200, but that includes Turner Kirkland's bow tie.. (must be an expensive bow tie).

If you're a member at Gunboards, you can see mine here:  http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?393478-Turner-Kirkland-40-cal-aka-quot-Wayne-Turney-what-have-you-done-!-quot 

If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 10:43:05 PM »
along with that original Rathbone SXS 6 bore that he used on an Elephant.
The looked BAD in the 70's, let alone today.

Since you mentioned that big ol' gun, I thought I might throw in a word.  I have examined that old double rifle and was mightily impressed with it.  Funny that Turner actually called it a 4 bore, although I think it was somewhere around .90 caliber.  Evidently, back in the day, with bore sized rifles, you could stretch reality a bit and call it what you wanted?  Butch Winter told me a few stories about some well known people who had fired it and inadvertently had it "double" on them.  Personally, I would rather not be included in that group.  That's gotta leave a mark!!  
And what did Turner say he paid for it, $100 or $125?  I guess that was then.  Now, ??
John
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 10:44:10 PM by bigsmoke »

Offline bigsmoke

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 02:38:03 AM »
And in regards to the Belgium rifle, the first flinter I had back about 1975(?) was one of those.  .40 cal, flint, silver mounted and the stock had been treated with trichloride oxide, or some such thing, cannot remember just what it is called.  Anyway, it showed a slight shade of green.  Just a beautiful rifle and it shot well too.  Like so many things, I got carried away and sold it one day.  Realizing the mistake I had made I tried to buy it back, even offering the guy a $100 profit, but he was having none of that.  Long time no see, darn it!

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 04:49:55 AM »
I bought a made in Belgium Kirkland's Guns .45 a few years back for $200. It's a fine shooting rifle even though it has a lawyer proof trigger.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
along with that original Rathbone SXS 6 bore that he used on an Elephant.
The looked BAD in the 70's, let alone today.

Since you mentioned that big ol' gun, I thought I might throw in a word.  I have examined that old double rifle and was mightily impressed with it.  Funny that Turner actually called it a 4 bore, although I think it was somewhere around .90 caliber.  Evidently, back in the day, with bore sized rifles, you could stretch reality a bit and call it what you wanted?  Butch Winter told me a few stories about some well known people who had fired it and inadvertently had it "double" on them.  Personally, I would rather not be included in that group.  That's gotta leave a mark!!  
And what did Turner say he paid for it, $100 or $125?  I guess that was then.  Now, ??
John

Turner had a custom,Belgian made 6 bore sxs rifle and several others. I worked for Dixie in the summer of 1958 and Turner and I went wild dog hunting with double rifles and I used a 10 bore of English make and
Turner had the 6 bore. The vehicle we used was a 1927 Pierce Arrow roadster with a post mounted light on the driver's running board. I could stand up and use the windshield frame as a rest for the 10 bore and it turned the dogs tail up instantly as did the cannon Turner used. I think that Pierce is still in the DGW car collection.

Bob Roller 

Offline little joe

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »
Not a high bucks gun but a piece of modern ML history as Turner was one of the men who started the revival of our hobby of shooting the long rifle.

Online Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 10:20:19 PM »
Not a high bucks gun but a piece of modern ML history as Turner was one of the men who started the revival of our hobby of shooting the long rifle.

The revival started in 1933,not 1954.I knew some of the men,Bill Large,E.Farris,C.R.Ramsey were three of them. Turner came later and specialized in low end parts and still had lots of them when I was there in 1958.
Get a copy of "The Muzzle Loading Rifle,Then and Now" by Walter Cline and get some straight information.

Bob Roller

Offline Daryl

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:03 PM »
Good suggestion, Bob.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline little joe

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 10:10:23 PM »

The revival started in 1933,not 1954.I knew some of the men,Bill Large,E.Farris,C.R.Ramsey were three of them. Turner came later and specialized in low end parts and still had lots of them when I was there in 1958.
Get a copy of "The Muzzle Loading Rifle,Then and Now" by Walter Cline and get some straight information.
Got the wonderful  book Bob and it is a treasure. You are right Bob as Bill and Ferris were amoung the early ones, but also Hacker was there somewhere. Not sure  of the defination of modern though.Sorry if I offended you but I didn,t like your arrogant way of ansewering.
Bob Roller