Author Topic: Gun socks?  (Read 11138 times)

Offline Martin S.

Gun socks?
« on: January 25, 2016, 05:38:51 AM »
If this is in the wrong area, can the mods move it?

I would like input on your favorite gun socks.

I have a couple of muzzleloaders, and I am getting close to picking up a third.

Looking for the best gun socks to store them in so they don't get safe rash.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Gun socks?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 08:22:09 PM »
A gun sock or sleeve is best made out of melton wool, in my opinion.  It should not to tight fitting.  And you should NEVER store a rifle in it.  It is to protect the firearm when in transit.  That's all.  If you store the rifle in the sock, it will rust.  The rifle needs air moving around it constantly, and a pair of eyes checking on it frequently too. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Online smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 08:31:17 PM »
Make mine full length-100% cotton.  ;D Well seriously ditto what Taylor said. A guy was going to show me his rifle after he had told me it was in the sleeve in the closet. I asked what closet and he said in the laundry room. It wasn't pretty. That sleeve trapped a lot of moist air inside it and over the course of 7-8 months it raised a lot of cane with that gun, inside and out.

Offline Dave R

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
I buy them from Tip Curtis they are of good quality and don't seem to draw moisture and rust guns like some I have seen!

Offline Dave R

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 08:58:15 PM »
Tip Curtis 615-654-4445

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
You said sock but I hope you mean sleeve since the socks that I have had were not very much protection.

I am sorry that I can not remember his name but there was a guy at both the KRA and the CLA show (think he was the same person)  that was selling the best sleeves I have owned AND they were at a great price. I think the 60 inch ones were $6 if I remember correctly. Longer one were higher. They were light grey on the outside with a dark velour type inside. Maybe someone here can remember his name/contact info. I highly recommend them.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 09:23:22 PM »
man you folks got some big feet my sock barely fits up to the wrist and yes what Taylor said
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 09:25:05 PM by Joe S. »

Offline JPK

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 09:34:36 PM »
I've seen a couple of nice old double guns come out of a upstairs hall way closet that the owner wanted checked over. A clean and oil before giving to the next generation. I had to cut the gun socks off and peel them off, rust was inside and out every were. Can't say how long they were there but if they had been open to sight at lest it could of been caught sooner. This was the worst I've seen but there's been others. I agree with Taylor, don't store them in a sock.
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 12:12:34 AM »
Dixie Gun Works has nice heavy cloth gun sleeves in two sizes at competitive prices.  You never know what color you are going to get, but it is usually some hue of grey or tan/brown.  They come in two lengths and even the long ones are under $10.00 ea.   I buy dozens of them and give one with each new rifle.
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 02:04:00 AM »
I have some of those padded-type sleeves... not cotton, but I'm not sure what they are. I've left rifles in them for long periods of time without any issues.  But again, they're not cotton, so I do not think they trap moisture. 

Nevertheless, you all have me rethinking this. At a minimum, I'm going to inspect them more often, and maybe keep them out of the sleeves if I can arrange it.  I keep them in sleeves to keep them from dinging each other.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 07:10:03 PM »
I get the gun socks I use from Cabelas " because they have long ones". I keep my rifles in them in the safe; keeps them from getting dinged up. I have had guns stored in these for many, many,many years and never had a rust problem. Besides being lucky, I don't have a moisture problem. To each his own I guess.  JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Kermit

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 08:11:00 PM »
I've used "Sack-Ups" for several years.  http://sackups.com

Their website doesn't seem to work well, so you'll need to call them. These are silicone impregnated, I believe. I've used them everywhere from Washington's rain forest to California deserts with never a problem. They won't protect from abuse or stupidity, but do keep safe dings and transportation scuffs away. They are not a replacement for good stewardship, but do add a worthwhile element of protection.

They make a couple of lengths for muzzleloaders, 66" and 72". If you're like me, you need the longer one, which I think nis #510. I ordered them in packs of 4 or 6 and saved a little. These really are a good product and worth the modest cost.

The remarks about other sleeves and cases are spot on. I've seen nice old guns destroyed by blanket sleeves, wrapping in cotton sheets, and so on. Sack-Ups are NOT the same.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 10:22:40 PM »
I have made mine out of quilted muslin and blanket wool.    I prefer blanket wool and have a bunch that I bought at Dixons and the CLA.    I made an extra long one for transporting my chunk gun out of an inexpensive (when I bought it) wool blanket.   

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:51 AM »
I like these and use them for all my rifles & pistols; storage and transportation.  They're silicone impregnated and I've never had any problems with moisture or rust. They come with the black velcro tab but I get the extra long (74"?) and add the shoe string so that I can fold over the flap and tie it around the wrist. They're made by Irene Schaefer, 973-635-1121.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 01:08:04 AM »
I have gun socks made of WWII surplus khaki.
Great, except

Sliding an Upper Susquehanna percussion in & out, somewhere one of the fine pins holding the patchbox on disappeared.

One lower price modern brand quickly put a flash of rust on my new shotgun.
Storage in such a sock is not such a great idea.

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 05:02:31 PM »
For those who may wish to embrace silicon in their gun socks, let me warn you about finish touch ups etc. Good luck with that  ???    As an instrument maker /repair guy, I learned to hate silicon.  These modern solutions to problems I don't have are a continuing  annoyance.  [ I'm entering my old, cranky phase  ;D ]

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 07:22:46 PM »
Just to emphasize, silicone is wonderful stuff. Doesn't wash off in the rain.
Except one CAN NOT paint or ol finish over it.

Offline Mick C

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2016, 08:24:12 PM »
One more weigh-in here.......You may want to try Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop.  I have several sleeves that I bought from them that are made from old wool army blankets.  Love the dark green color and they were very reasonably priced (not positive but I'm thinking they were in the $15 range).....Mick
My profile picture is my beloved K9 best friend and soulmate, Buster Brown, who passed away in 2018.  I miss you buddy!

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
I like these and use them for all my rifles & pistols; storage and transportation.  They're silicone impregnated and I've never had any problems with moisture or rust. They come with the black velcro tab but I get the extra long (74"?) and add the shoe string so that I can fold over the flap and tie it around the wrist. They're made by Irene Schaefer, 973-635-1121.[/color]

I have three of these same sleeves and I've had them for years.  One was given to me but I can't recall where the other two came from.  I never used them for storage (they will rust guns), only for transport.  They performed admirably but at some point %@$* mice chewed holes in them.  Still usable but those holes really bother me.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

billd

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 09:19:02 PM »
Knob Mountain has the sleeves that will hold a gun with a 48" barrel, maybe longer.

Bill