Author Topic: Another image with an unidentified rifle  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Frank Graves

Another image with an unidentified rifle
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:49:10 PM »
I have come across another armed image with a percussion rifle that I am not familiar with.  I am hoping that someone might have a clue as to who could have made it as was done so quickly a couple of weeks ago.

The image is a quarter plate ambrotype, from about the early to mid 1850s, of a man with some sort of Beerstecher type superposed half stock percussion rifle.

The device that is split around the forward nipple looks familiar to me.  The thing with the v spring at the rear nipple appears to be a selector of sorts, or might swivel that nipple out of the way.  Hard to see here, but it is attached to the barrel with a screw at the top of the spring between the hollow ring and that nipple bolster.  It is much more clear with a loupe – this camera can only do so much.  The rifle and close up are reversed; the full picture and cropped close up is as it is really. The extension for the front nipple is either one piece attaching to the percussion hammer or may be a two piece thing anchored to the barrel.

It is a wonderful image and I would sure like to figure out what the rifle is.  It very well may be a gunsmith’s conversion of a regular half stock rifle.  I’d sure like to hear if anyone has seen something like this.  The rifle and close up have been reversed; the first two full images are as they are actually.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:54:36 PM by Frank Graves »

Offline JCKelly

Re: Another image with an unidentified rifle
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 01:03:44 AM »
I emailed Mr. Graves privately a very small pdf of a note from my Michigan Gunsmiths book.
Probably a good photo of one of Beerstecher's derringers would be more helpful.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 01:32:32 AM »
It looks to me like the rifle has been modified by adding another drum,and nipple, along with a hammer extension, to shoot superimposed loads. This definitely looks like a conversion, instead of a shop made two shooter.

Hungry Horse

Offline FALout

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 05:37:06 AM »
I can't remember the name of the book, but there's a lot of photos and info of rifle designs that were coming out at about the same time frame of the civil war.  Most designs were of some way to increase the speed of reloading, mostly concentrating on ignition, aka, cap design.  I can't say I've seen this design. 
Bob