Author Topic: another "seasoning mixture"  (Read 4952 times)

Offline dave gross

another "seasoning mixture"
« on: January 28, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
I was watching Mike Beliveau's Facebook channel yesterday as he is going thru the build  of a swivel breech rifle...very interesting and Mike admits that his craftsmanship is somewhat lacking...but plows ahead regardless.
In another FB entry Mr. Beliveau goes into an "infomercial" for some new chemical called "Sweetshooter"...which claims to have "seasoning" properties for for guns and other metal objects.   The procedure recomended in treating guns/parts is very long and drawn out but necessary to allow this magic fluid to work its way into the pores of any metal.   Seasoning the barrel interior involves swabbing the bore 25 times and firing a shot after each application....the heat apparently helps deposit the active ingredients into the spaces between the barrel metal's molecules.....and the stuff is only 75 bucks a quart.  I was sure that the "seasoning" discussion had been pretty well worn out on various gun boards but here it is again. Mike's videos are at FB under "duelist1954.

Dave Gross

Offline bob in the woods

Re: another "seasoning mixture"
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:09:02 AM »
Mike seems like a nice fellow, but , this is all about selling stuff. End of story.  Any of this fancy pants stuff attempts to or promises to solve a problem I don't have.  Simply not necessary.

ken

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:41 AM »
The Iron of today is not what they used way back then and it is not the same as a cast iron skillet.  There is no seasoning, just keeping fouling soft or what one needs to go hurting. All else is just to sell you something.      ken

michaelB.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:47:14 AM »
I ain't buying it either.  Sounds like a bit of verbal diahrrea from one of those shiny-a**ed MBAs

Offline Daryl

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 09:14:37 PM »
Mike seems like a nice fellow, but , this is all about selling stuff. End of story.  Any of this fancy pants stuff attempts to or promises to solve a problem I don't have.  Simply not necessary.

exactly
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 09:38:12 PM »
Voodoo.

Offline axelp

• TomBob Outdoors, LLC.
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:52:56 PM »
I did not fully enjoy my muzzleloaders until I embraced the fact that cleaning them is part of the historical fun of shooting them.
Galations 2:20

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 05:01:03 PM »
An ingenuous solution to a non-existent problem.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 09:39:55 PM »
Anyone who has read my posts knows I am not a believer in "seasoning" bores (as opposed to shooting a barrel in).  A bore so seasoned would eventually have the rifling buried not to mention a shrinking bore dia.  Such seasoning cannot contribute anything to a barrel even assuming it is possible.  Prbs don't stick in the bore.  So what problem is this mythical procedure supposed to solve?  I even reject the notion that "seasoning" - as in the seasoned surface of a (cast iron, not wrought iron) frying pan.  If those early rifles did, in fact, develop a crust in the bore, it was probably mostly rust and is the reason for "freshening" them periodically.

Back in the old days a factual understanding of science and metallurgy was not as wide spread as it is today.  Some modern ML aficionados cling to various myths and even use "non words" in their speech because most likely these myths and verbal affectations sound "old timey" and wise.  As an example such as using corncobs for personal hygiene rather than bathroom tissue are, of course, not only unnecessary for experiencing a small part of history but downright silly.

It's a shame that a few purported authorities/experts, who may have blogs, videos, etc, will espouse products and procedures that will dim their otherwise well deserved reputations.  Frying pans aren't gun barrels and never were. 

!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
been shooting flintlock rifles for 46 years now, never seasoned a barrel,
still shoot the 1st rifle i made back in 1976, never cleaned with anything except
warm water and tee shirt material, if it aint broke dont fix it
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 04:42:14 PM »
...Some modern ML aficionados cling to various myths and even use "non words" in their speech because most likely these myths and verbal affectations sound "old timey" and wise.  As an example such as using corncobs for personal hygiene rather than bathroom tissue are, of course, not only unnecessary for experiencing a small part of history but downright silly.

It's a shame that a few purported authorities/experts, who may have blogs, videos, etc, will espouse products and procedures that will dim their otherwise well deserved reputations.  Frying pans aren't gun barrels and never were. 

Hanshi, well stated!  You hit the nail squarely on the head.

Mole Eyes
Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer