Author Topic: Miquelet Blunderbuss/Trabuco  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
Miquelet Blunderbuss/Trabuco
« on: January 28, 2016, 09:23:12 PM »
I posted this gun on ALR about a year ago.  It actually belongs to a friend, whose father purchased it in Italy in 1944 for one carton of GI Camel cigarettes.  Well now my friend has decided he wants to sell it, and of course he asked me what it is worth.  I have no idea, so I'm looking for some help. 

As you can see, bugs have just about consumed the butt stock.  I believe the lock is a patilla style miquelet lock.  The lock will cycle and holds at half and full cock, and the trigger functions.  The barrel is 25-7/8 inches long and is 1-5/16 across the flats at the breech.  The side flats extend about 7 inches and disappear into the round.  The top barrel flat only extends about 2 inches from the breech.  The barrel tapers to 1 inch at the end of the fore-stock, then flares out to 1-3/4 inches at the muzzle.  The ramrod is missing, but there is a dovetail on the bottom of the barrel, presumably for a ramrod thimble.  The trigger guard is brass and is held on with nails.  There is a brass plate on the top of the buttstock that is also held on with nails.

Any guesstimates on a fair selling price will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance for any replies. -Ron

Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

The Rambling Historian

Re: Miquelet Blunderbuss/Trabuco
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:08:18 PM »
Due to its condition I would say he would be lucky to get $500. It is probably a pretty old piece though. From what I have seen, Mediterranean arms generally sell for much less than weapons from northern Europe, especially England, Germany, and France. There are of course exceptions for high end arms in high condition.

Offline Levy

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:27:11 PM »
I had the opportunity to conserve what remained of one of these recovered from a 1715 Plate Fleet Wreck off the coast of Ft. Pierce, FL way back in 1990.  It sat in our holding tanks for a few years before I began work on it.  the stock was almost perfect and the metal was entirely rusted away.  That made for an excellent casting opportunity and all the iron parts were cast with a material called Hysol.  I cleaned  out all the voids in the stock, where the iron parts had been, poured in the Hysol and then began the slow process of excavating everything with an airscrbe (miniature jack hammer).  Everything turned out well and you could read the writing engraved on the barrel and the lock.  it was made in Mexico by Miguel Ramirez in 1709.

James Levy 
James Levy

Big Wolf

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 03:36:21 AM »
With the damage, and the fact that it's Mediterranean, I'd say four or five hundred would be tops.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
For a carton of Camels he might have got took.... ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline okieboy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 09:40:35 PM »
 Mr. Levy, I found your post very interesting, however there are 24 different Hysol molding products. Do you happen to recall which one you used?
Okieboy

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 03:20:08 AM »

Thanks Mike.  I knew I could count on you.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Levy

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 04:55:53 AM »
Okieboy,  I'm sorry but I don't remember which one it was.  the finished product was slightly bendable if not pushed to the extreme.  We did several firearms, swords and tools with it.  When we loaned one of the flintlock pistol casts out to another institution, they invariably came back with the triggers and cocks broken from the uneducated wanting to play pirate with them.  We tried a harder version, but objects would break (very brittle).

James Levy
James Levy

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 03:16:36 PM »

Thanks Mike.  I knew I could count on you.

-Ron
That's me, always trying to help. ;)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline JPK

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 08:40:54 PM »
Well the Camels got burnt up but the gun is still here!
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.