Author Topic: TOW rear peep sight experience  (Read 14563 times)

Offline Molly

Re: TOW rear peep sight experience
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2016, 03:30:30 PM »
Vision issues seem to have a variety of causes and corrections.  Some of you old dudes might also have the onset of cataracts.  No peep site nor lenses will help that very much.

Offline Dewey

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2016, 06:24:04 PM »
Hey !   >:(

I resemble that remark !!   :D

And just had cataract surgery .... the sights are a lot less blurry now !!!    ;D

Molly makes a great point ... get your eyes checked and see what can be done on that score ... you might not need new sights at all !!!!

Offline Daryl

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2016, 09:46:27 PM »
I think we have talked about this before and after that I went looking for some .50 or .25 glasses but could only find 1.75 and up every where I looked. Where does every one find these things for sale?
"Dollar Stores" those stores that sell everything for a $+
I buy my reading glasses there for $2 a pair
If you can't find any ( stores or glasses ) in your area, send me your magnification and I will find you a pair.
Fred

Fred - see if they have .5 or .75's - not 5.0 or 7.5. 

The 1.0 and over distort long range vision too much. I have never seen any 'readers' in stores, including dollar stores under 1.0 dipoter.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline varsity07840

« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »
My Merit setup.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2016, 11:39:39 PM »
That's good to know, Hammer - 6' you say, for apertures - Interesting- thanks.   
Daryl

Sharpsman

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2016, 07:16:48 PM »
 My experience in the Army was that the peep sight on an M14 was close to the eye, like it would be on the tang of a long rifle, and I agree that they don't work that well when the light gets dim.  Otherwise, I love peep sights, but I won't put one on my flintlock.  I use store-bought reading glasses so I can see both sights clearly, but the target is a bit fuzzy.  I think it's better to have a clear sight picture than a sharp view of the target.

"I use store-bought reading glasses so I can see both sights clearly, but the target is a bit fuzzy"

That's the way it's supposed to be! The eye cannot focus on two different objects at the same time!! ;D

These work well....if you're not sittin to tight on your wallet! Various diopter strengths available and the glasses are very easy to adjust and use! I used them on occasion in the later years that I was shooting NRA HP matches.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx?p=categoryBody&c=OPEYKN
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 07:25:21 PM by Sharpsman »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 01:41:50 AM »
Quote from: Daryl

The 1.0 and over distort long range vision too much. I have never seen any 'readers' in stores, including dollar stores under 1.0 dipoter.

As noted above, from some glasses places or pharmacies, you can order .25, .5 and .75 diopter readers - these allow you to see the sights very clearly, yet do not distort the target unreasonably.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 01:43:27 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

Sharpsman

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 07:13:24 AM »
Quote from: Daryl

As noted above, from some glasses places or pharmacies, you can order .25, .5 and .75 diopter readers - these allow you to see the sights very clearly, yet do not distort the target unreasonably.

Daryl

Yep...it's a BIG TRADE OFF as the best thing to do is select a diopter strength that just barely clears up the near sights...with the most important being the front sight...without blurring up the bull overly much! However...if we use our eyes right to begin with the bull should always appear somewhat out of focus because the front sight should be the primary focal point! Shots can only be accurately 'called' unless the vision at shot break is upon the front sight! ;D ;D

Offline Daryl

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 05:56:17 AM »
Exactly!
Daryl

Online EC121

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 06:27:28 AM »
I saw some readers in a catalog that were adjustable.  Each side had an adjusting knob to set the diopter.  They are readily available.  Search for "adjustable reading glasses"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 06:29:08 AM by EC121 »
Brice Stultz