Author Topic: Amos Benfer  (Read 2199 times)

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Amos Benfer
« on: February 06, 2016, 07:40:42 PM »
I've come across an octogon rifle over round shotgun double hammer gun by Amos Benfer
of Beavertown PA.  My listing for Benfer shows him active 1830.  The gun looks Upper Susq in style.  Plain with a cap box.  Curious if the gun sounds right and if anyone knows about this maker?  Sorry I didn't get photos. 
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Bill Paton

Re: Amos Benfer
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:50:49 PM »
Rob,

Look at Fred Garner’s section in the library under Upper Susquehanna Makers for good info on Benfer. I have examined the “Christmas Rifle” and one other Amos Benfer short fixed barrel rifle/shotgun with stamped signature at a KRA meeting a couple of years ago. Late Upper Susquehanna is correct for him.

Bill Paton
Kentucky double rifle student
wapaton.sr@gmail.com

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Amos Benfer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 04:50:15 AM »
 I don't know why I didn't think to look there thanks for the idea Bill.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.