Author Topic: Houston Harrison collection  (Read 4270 times)

dbraw

Houston Harrison collection
« on: February 09, 2016, 03:58:37 PM »
Just an update on the guns that Houston's son had for sale. The Tennessee State Museum bought them and will have them on permanent display in the new museum when it is completed. They plan to buy the Scottish pistols also. Barrry did sell the Hawken to a friend in Gallatin.

Offline Don Stith

Re: Houston Harrison collection
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 04:43:33 PM »
That is good news. Houston's work needs to be where it can be enjoyed by many.  He was a great craftsman and good friend.  I always told him he got several peoples share of talent. His musical skills were as great as his artistic abilities.
 Any one know where the original John Armstrong rifle he owned wound up?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 05:56:01 PM by Ky-Flinter »

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 05:16:56 AM »
The first time I met Houston was at the Tenn. longrifle show . It was in Knoxville then put on by Robin Hale. About 1989 or 90.  My oldest son went with me .He was about twelve at the time. We went out to eat with some of the guys and Houston was setting close to us. He made a point to talk to my young son and bring him into the conversation. He  was not only an artist but a good man also.
JIM

Offline RobertS

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »
Here's a great little video of an interview with Houston Harrison and a tour of his shop and home.  Also shows some beautiful examples of his work.