Author Topic: Post your comments about the new board here!  (Read 41239 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Post your comments about the new board here!
« on: May 20, 2008, 05:07:12 PM »
If you guys are checking out the new board, and have comments, please don't hesitate to let us know. Put them right in this post, or make your own. Before this is announced to the general public, we will probably do a house cleaning, tidy things up, etc. So, please post away, and have fun.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Post your comments about the new board here!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 06:02:35 PM »
Some comments I've received so far:

Well I got registered etc. So far looks good. It will take a little while
but the color, photos etc look great.

It's a little hard to see the flags that indicate that a topic has new
content in it, but maybe it will be easier with practice.

Thanks for doing this...it is fast so far!!  Will you be able to move the
vanity scores over for people?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 06:03:12 PM by Acer Saccharum »

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 07:40:43 PM »
Acer,

Being a COF this new look and navigating will take a little getting accustomed to.  I think the single most important enhancement to the ALR board I would like to see is a utility that will enable a COF like myself to insert a picture that is in my computer rather than having to rely on a photo sharing site like photobucket.  If I can take a picture, toss it into a folder on my computer and then insert it into my message, directly, you will get a great many more photos from guys like me that don't have the time to jump through the hoops.  Ideally when I click on the image icon I would like to get a drop-down menu so I could find the photo on my computer and double click it in.  I don't have the time to learn HTML.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Best Regards,

John Cholin

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »
Also being a COF, I agree
Don

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 12:52:10 AM »
There are several problems associated with having photos uploaded to our site, here are a few:

Hackers can embed dangerous virus, programs etc into files that have photo attributes i.e. .jpg, .tif etc These are very malicious and we are not setup to stop these.

Photos take up quite a lot of disk storage space and unless someone monitors them and removes them after a period of time you can run into disk space problems.

You would still have to figure out how to link the message to the location of the photo. It would not be a simple attach a photo and upload it into the message.

We would have to select some type of photo software package then install it on the site.

EXAMPLE below is how the original post by Acer looks with a link to his photo bucket account where the actual photo resides

[img*]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Tom45-70/Jaeger/sight3.jpg[/img]

[img*]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a246/Tom45-70/Jaeger/sight4.jpg[/img]
 (I put the * in to keep the photos from showing. You would not use them if you wished to display the 2 photos)
The forum software must be told to display a photo (thats the [img] entry then it needs the actual link to the photo. In Acers post the link tells the forum software to look at the address in his Photobucket account, if we had onsite photos we would still have to put a link to where ever the photos were kept on our site. Very little difference in how you would make your post. In the case above Photobucket is the one that has to worry about viruses/malicious programs rather than us. Hope it makes sense.

Dennis
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:01:50 AM by tdennis »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:32:54 AM »
 It took a little bit for me to get using the Photobucket account but it's easy as pie now.  They have made several changes to thier format that makes downloading pics even easier than when I started.
I've been adding pics for several years now and still have not run out of FREE space. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 04:00:02 AM »
Several folks have asked me about the topic of uploading photos dierctly. I have to type very slowly, as I've had a fair share of wine.

A couple of things:

Dennis told me right off the bat that it wasn't gong to happen. I can loive with that, I am used to the photobucket.

More importantly, Photo bucket has upgraded, and loading photos is a lot easirer and fatser. oh crpa the finger saren't working like they usta.

I am embarrasing mysself rapidly, I think I Will come back tomorrow. hahahaha--hick-hahahaha

Tom

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 05:10:44 AM »
You should remember we now have a spell check.   ;D

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 04:08:13 PM »
Whew, now that I am sober, I should amend what I was trying to say about posting photos.

Whether you use Photobucket or a website with integral photoloading capability, you still have to go through the same process of uploading, archiving and getting the URL address of every photo you want to use.

Several good things about photobucket:

You have your own album, which you manage the appearance and storage of your photos into folders.

You can take any of your photo URL addresses and include this in an e-mail, or website, or any other forum, and folks can view your pictures.

Photobucket has changed their upload procedure, making it a little easier to load your photos into.

PhotoBucket is free, and I have hundreds of photos, and have never run out of space to date. I make sure my photos are small before uploading to PhotoBucket, which does TWO things: 1) speeds uploading, and 2) enables more photos to be stored without maxing out my free account.

There are other online image storage services like Photobucket, they are not the only game in town. I have never experienced a problem with the service, and appreciate what they do very much.

If you have your own web site, you can store all your photos there, and provide the appropriate URL links to your photos stored there. One problem I have noticed when folks use their own photoalbum is when they reorganize their website, the link to their photo is broken, and the image no longer appears in the post.

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
looks good
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »
Hi Guys,
Well I made it here and things are looking pretty nice. I'm going to have to get used to the color.
So I take it we will be trying this site out until it all gets moved? Will the archives be coming with us?
Tom, Thanks for the early invite
Jim
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 01:19:24 AM »
Hey I think I'm getting the hang of this now.... I even got me a photo!

"A brush of the hand

Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 01:21:28 AM »
Hey I think I'm getting the hang of this now.... I even got me a photo!

Hey, that's real good Jim but how come you used a picture of Red Green??? ;D

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2008, 03:26:47 AM »
You should remember we now have a spell check.   ;D
We had (at least I did) have spell check on he old board.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2008, 03:29:02 AM »
 :o  I never knew that.  I downloaded ieSpell because of it.  Spell check only works if you remember to us it.   ::)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2008, 03:31:37 AM »
Whew, now that I am sober, I should amend what I was trying to say about posting photos.

Whether you use Photobucket or a website with integral photoloading capability, you still have to go through the same process of uploading, archiving and getting the URL address of every photo you want to use.

Several good things about photobucket:

You have your own album, which you manage the appearance and storage of your photos into folders.

You can take any of your photo URL addresses and include this in an e-mail, or website, or any other forum, and folks can view your pictures.

Photobucket has changed their upload procedure, making it a little easier to load your photos into.

PhotoBucket is free, and I have hundreds of photos, and have never run out of space to date. I make sure my photos are small before uploading to PhotoBucket, which does TWO things: 1) speeds uploading, and 2) enables more photos to be stored without maxing out my free account.

There are other online image storage services like Photobucket, they are not the only game in town. I have never experienced a problem with the service, and appreciate what they do very much.

If you have your own web site, you can store all your photos there, and provide the appropriate URL links to your photos stored there. One problem I have noticed when folks use their own photoalbum is when they reorganize their website, the link to their photo is broken, and the image no longer appears in the post.

Acer,
You know when you are sober you make a lot of sense! Well described.
The only thing I see that you left out is that when you are using a link to another website you don't have to worry about hidden Trojan's embedded in photo files.
Dennis

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2008, 03:45:30 AM »
I'm a member of one board that does allow posting directly to the site.  In that case the site limits the size of the picture.  When your posting gun pics, that is a huge disadvantage.  There's a lot of detail lost when the pictures are small.  Not to mention a pain in the rear to resize your pics before posting. 
Ken

Offline Dave B

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2008, 06:13:05 AM »
Hey this is looking good. I like the work you guys are doing to get us a much better situation going. Thanks. I don't know much about this computer stuff so I am glad you guys are looking  out for us.

Regards
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
For posting photos directly to this site: that would indeed be a nightmare for the folks running it. I'm sure you would get some guys putting up 3 to 4 mb images because they don't know how to resize properly. The storage would be a nightmare.

Hey do we have a max pixel size for our "avatar" photo? I see some guys are bigger them mine! HAHA! ;D

Don't like the ratings "Newbie" been along time since I got called that.

Jim

"A brush of the hand

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 03:24:39 PM »
Will the Powder Room come over??
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Jim Filipski

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 07:54:11 PM »
Hey now my photo's big too! & Cody I changed my shirt!
It's my favorite "wholey" one

There is just too much fun here I gota get back to my job

"A brush of the hand

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 02:58:29 PM »
I woke up early today, and did a little housecleaning.

Birddog6

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 03:04:44 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all !  I think the forum looks great !  Seems easy enough to get around on also.

I have one question.  Most the threads are wide on my screen as I have to move the curser at the bottom across to read all of what is said.  I have a 19" screen  & usually don't have to do this on most sites. 

I just checked again, and some of the post are all on the screen & easy to view, and some of them are allot wider than the screen & I have to move them on the screen back & forth to real all of it.. 

Is this a settin in my computer or something I can change or is it how some are posting or what ?

Thanks

Keith
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 04:03:08 PM by Birddog6 »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 04:29:45 PM »
Keith, that is a function of how big a photo one of the posters used. You gotta downsize your photos to 100 to 120 Mb, or you get the 'scrolley screen' effect. Any picture bigger than that, it will be too wide to view without having to scroll.

Actually, I should do a test with different size photos, then I can back up my imagination.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 05:56:43 PM »
Acer,
I know there is a control feature that limits the size of a picture posted on the board.  I don't know if it's needed ot not.  Most of the time I'm on a laptop and all the pictures are too big for my screen.
Cheers,
Ken

Birddog6

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 07:03:15 PM »
OK... So if a very large photo is posted, that makes everything posted after that  wider on the screen. Right ?  =  why some are normal & then some I have to go back & forth to read all the test.