Author Topic: Post your comments about the new board here!  (Read 41253 times)

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
Re: Post your comments about the new board here!
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 11:22:34 PM »
Keith, that is a function of how big a photo one of the posters used. You gotta downsize your photos to 100 to 120 Mb, or you get the 'scrolley screen' effect. Any picture bigger than that, it will be too wide to view without having to scroll.

Actually, I should do a test with different size photos, then I can back up my imagination.

Acer you mean KB not MB!!!!!,  Let me tell you a good rule KB & MB "size doesn't matter" ( Heard that before eah!) It is pixel dimension that is an absolute.  Scale images to 640 pixels wide .    800 pixels wide is pushing it for most smaller computers so you don't have to scroll.
file size Kb/Mb deals with file compression only A jpeg with a white background compresses rather small. A busy background for instance; grass & tree leaves compresses not so well so the file will be lager size wise not dimensionally ( It's my job ..... hard to get this point across to even some pro photographers )  If the guys scale their images for 640 or at tops 800 pixels the site will work well. Most of the newer point & shoot cameras are 8 megapixels so you are talking about 4000 pixels wide Way to much! Let me put it this way Tom the stuff you get from me at the studio is shot on a 40 mega pixel back that translates to about 7000 pixels in width I usually drop this down to 1000 pix when I send to you or 640 pixels when I post here

I know I know go back to work Jim!
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 12:45:59 AM »
Jim, I will pretend I understand. If I change the tutorial specs to 640, then everyone should be good? That's what I divine from your post. The tutorial will need to be re-done, as Photobucket has changed, and the method of posting pictures on the new board has changed. The biggest change is appearance and location of controls, function is virtually the same.

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe all this time no one knew, or took the time to tell me how this works. Thanks.

T
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 05:20:48 AM »
In the "features and options" section you can set the max. height and width for pictures. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 04:08:24 PM »
Attaboy, Ken

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
Ken, I don't know where to find the "features and Options" you mention. Wherezit?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2008, 04:52:30 PM »
In the Admin page.  Look to the left side under Configuration. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

flintman-tx

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2008, 04:58:16 AM »
Looks good to me. I loved the old site, but progress...and all of that.   Charles

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »
Anyone tried the new print button yet?

I don't get photos when I use it, just the links to them. I'm ok with it since I can print the individual pages and save as PDF, but it would be nice to just use the print to get the entire topic with photos as in the old forum.

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008, 11:44:45 PM »
Acer,

Will the other ALR board be going away??  Will this one just be a contiuation of the old board??

Either way.

It looks great.

Dane
In His grip,

Dane

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008, 11:55:09 PM »
Dane,
Not Acer (he's probably taking a nap!) but to answer your question this is just a continuation of the old board but the old board will be cut off sometime after we think all the active members have joined us here. This is a completely new hosting service plus new forum software. The old Snitz software has seen its best days and never was designed to handle the traffic that we were putting on it.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008, 11:58:36 PM »
Will our "Status" transfer over?? 

Not that it really matters.  I just hate being called a "newbie" this late in the game.

Thanks for your help.
In His grip,

Dane

karwelis

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2008, 01:40:41 AM »
how do we keep the number of postings from the old board? and how long is the old board going to be accessable?

El Mac

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008, 01:44:24 AM »
how do we keep the number of postings from the old board? and how long is the old board going to be accessable?

I'd be suprised if we could keep the postings number....

karwelis

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008, 01:47:46 AM »
it fugures, just start wraking up a few and a whole new program

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008, 02:13:34 AM »
The old board will be there for a good while longer. Want everyone to get the word and know where me are now. We can update the post counts to include the old board but it has to be done manually. Give us some time then ask a admin or moderator to update your counts.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Brian Bussard

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2008, 04:45:03 AM »
I posted these comments in the "Welcome!" thread before I found this one, but the sentiment is the same...those of you who have worked so hard to ge this new site up and running have done an awesome job. Nice clean look, nice feature....well done!

FlintRock Rob

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »
I should have added that I also think the new site is great - looks like there are far more features available, and it's easy to read.

A big thanks to all of you who are working on it :)

SPletcher

« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2008, 06:29:56 AM »
Looks fine to me...one comment or question:

is for sale postings...Is there a query you can run on the "old" site that can provide members with more than 25 posts?  Then take those members and set all of them at 25 or above?

Or put a 30-60 day reprieve on the 25 post minimum to put something up for sale?

Regards,

Steve

Bioprof

« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2008, 08:06:37 AM »
Seems to be faster so far.   Keep up the good work.

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 03:50:25 PM »
Looks fine to me...one comment or question:

is for sale postings...Is there a query you can run on the "old" site that can provide members with more than 25 posts?  Then take those members and set all of them at 25 or above?

Or put a 30-60 day reprieve on the 25 post minimum to put something up for sale?

Regards,

Steve
Yes we can take the post count from the old board and add them to your post count on the new board. We will do it as we can. In the mean time just let one of the admins/moderators know if you need to make a for sale post and we will update your count.
Dennis

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2008, 03:59:42 PM »
  I hate change, that's why I shoot a flintlock!.......Seriously: it looks good, I hope posting pic will be easier.

Nice Job Guys, Thanks, Tim C.

Scott Brush

« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2008, 04:18:09 PM »
It looks really good so far.  Being curious I tried to open a couple pictures of members to see what they look like but get a message telling me I "can't look up just any members profile" or something to that effect.  Is there something special I need to do to open the thumbnails?

I've learned to love photobucket; I can now send pictures to someone via email while taking up very little space on their email account. 

Thanks for all of your hard work guys!

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »
Being curious I tried to open a couple pictures of members to see what they look like but get a message telling me I "can't look up just any members profile" or something to that effect.  Is there something special I need to do to open the thumbnails?
Scott,
Sorry but what you see is all you get. That photo might look like a thumbnail but its not. Its just a small photo. Its how the forum code was written.
Dennis

Ohioan

« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2008, 05:28:42 PM »
I just want to say thank you! 

You guys have put a lot of work into getting this new forum to work just right!  (I've been reading through the threads on photo size) 

The old forum aggravated me sometimes because, frankly, it was old.  The forum program itself that is.

This new forum looks like it will be a bit easier to manipulate the text and such things.

I especially like the resize of the photo feature.  NICE!

I can't wait to get everything started on here!

I just hope the archives can be transferred over, but probably not.
If they can't you guys should look into creating DVDs of the archives, much like surplusrifleforum.com did.  You could sell them for $5 and make money to support this site.  Just an idea.  I hate to see all the valuable info go down the e-tube.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2008, 06:12:04 PM »
Thumnails? Why would you want to see a bigger picture of ....

Oh, never mind.

Who is the new guy, the flagwaving Canadian, Daryl? Do you think there might be a connection to another forum? Is this a coincidence..or WHAT? It blows my mind.

Of course, my mind is pretty well shot already.