Author Topic: My greatest find - Zenas Alexander, early Mecklenburg N.C. gunsmith  (Read 18857 times)

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
It has been a while since I have posted anything on this site.  I thought I would share some information on my greatest find.

I decided five years ago to write two books on the Rowan School of Longrifle Makers and the Mecklenburg School of Longrifle Makers in North Carolina.  Researching both schools has each presented its own set of challenges. There are less than 20 Mecklenburg School rifles known to survive and less than 40 examples known from the Rowan School.

When John Bivins' published his landmark book The Longrifles of North Carolina in 1968, he did not mention a Mecklenburg School as he did not know that one existed. [I am always careful when talking about Bivins' work that I do not say that John was wrong, but his information was dated.  This is what was known in 1968.  Since then new research has turned up additional documentation and new rifles have surfaced that now give us a more informed picture of the story.]

The credit for identifying a Mecklenburg Longrifle School goes to William W. Ivey, who gave a program in the 1980's to the K.R.A. titled "North Carolina Schools of Longrifles." Bill was able to pinpoint the "W.B." rifle and similar rifles by Isaac Thompson and "S.M.B." as having been made in Mecklenburg County.  In 2012, Robert Leath, Chief Curator at M.E.S.D.A. and his research team were able to finally identify the maker of the W.B. rifle as William Black of Charlotte.

When I started my research on the Mecklenburg School I learned there was a lot of documentation on two early gunsmiths Isaac Price (1747 - 1811) and Zenas Alexander (1771 - 1826), but no known signed or attributed rifles by either gunsmiths were known to survive. 

Over the last five years I have been able to identify nineteen rifles as being made by the Mecklenburg School and one silver mounted pistol.

Zenas Alexander was born in on Christmas Day in 1771. His family had moved to Mecklenburg County from Cecil County, Maryland in 1768. After his father Zebulon Alexander died, he was bound as an apprentice under Isaac Price in July 1787 to learn the trade of a gunsmith. Isaac Price is the first documented gunsmith to work in this School and probably founded the School.

Zenas was to receive £13 value in tools for his business at the end of his apprenticeship. Mecklenburg Court record [3-230] show that in April 1795, Zenas ask to be released from his apprenticeship with Isaac Price. The court ruled, “Chairman of the court on Behalf of Zenas Alexander vs Isaac Price, Covenant, Jury Charged. Find the Covenant was not performed and asses the Plaintiffs Damage to £53 & Costs. Appeal prayed & granted. Reasons filed.” (Source: Jim Williams)

Zenas would work as both a gunsmith and silversmith in Charlotte up until his death in 1826.  He would take in three young men as apprentices to train as both gunsmiths and silversmiths. James McKee in 1805; Henry McBride in 1810; Elisha Smartt in 1810. While no signed rifles by Zenas Alexander were known to survive, there are three silver spoons and a silver cream pitcher known that have his touch mark. 

While I was doing my research on the two schools I decided to partner with the Rowan Museum in Salisbury and the Charlotte Museum of History. I then contacted the local newspapers in both cities and had them write articles about the projects and request the public bring in to the museum [on a specified day] any old rifles they may have to be identified and also requested they bring any photos, deeds or documentation on local gunsmiths they may have.  The response from the public was outstanding. Many people brought in rifles and documentation that was of use to me.

A lady brought in an old Longrifle to the Rowan Museum for me to identify.  It was in the black.  The rifle was so dirty that your hands would get dirty holding it.  I noticed that the rifle had a 1 3/4 inch wide butt that was stepped.  I have not seen this feature on a North Carolina rifle before. The rifle was early, but in poor condition.  The rifle did have a patchbox with a heart piercing in the finial. I have seen three other North Carolina rifles with heart piercings in the finial, all three were from the Catawba Valley School, so my first thought was this was an early rifle from that school.  I photographed the rifle for future documentation.  I did notice that the rifle had a decorative tab extension on the ram-rod entry pipe.  This feature is exclusive to the Mecklenburg School.

When I loaded the photos of the rifle on my computer the next day and enlarged the photos I began to see things in the pictures that I could not see while holding the rifle. The first item that caught my attention was a mirrored engraved cartouche on the patchbox lid and the base of the finial.  This is a Mecklenburg School feature and is found on most rifles from that school.

I then noticed what might be initials engraved on the patchbox lid.  Most rifles that are signed from both the Rowan or Mecklenburg Schools are signed on the patchbox lid.  I could not decipher what the initials were.

I had created a sign-in sheet at the museum and was able to find the Lady's name and phone number. I always recommend that people do not clean these old rifles.  I called her and requested permission to come to her house and violate that rule.  [If this was in-fact an early Catawba Valley School rifle, it would not be worth the price of the expensive restoration the rifle needed.  If however, it turned out to be an early Mecklenburg School rifle it would be worth the expense.  If the rifle was signed and the maker could be identified, that would be even better.] She agreed and we set a time for us to meet.

I cleaned only the patchbox lid.  There were initials present, but I could not decipher them.  After studying for five minutes, I then remembered to turn the patchbox lid upside down. It was then the initials Z A appeared.  I had finally found a signed Zenas Alexander rifle. I discussed the cost of the needed restoration.  I then made a generous offer and purchased the rifle and paid for the restoration.  It is the best find of my collecting career.

Zenas Alexander - Early Mecklenburg School Longrifle

3/4 view

Note the stepped wrist and the silver inlay on the cheek-rest is engraved "W A."

Zenas Alexander's first cousin was William Alexander, the son of Hezekiah Alexander who built a famous stone house that still survives in Charlotte. 
This rifle may have been made for William Alexander.

Early Mecklenburg School sideplate

This is the patchbox lid turned upside down. Note the "Z A" initials and the mirrored engraving on the lid and base of the finial.  These are strong Mecklenburg School features.

Here is a view of the patchbox from the normal side.

Note the relief-carved beaver tail around the tang and the tab at the wrist.

Early lock and triggers

Decorative tab on ram-rod entry pipe.  This feature is found on most the rifles from this school.

Note the step near the top of the butt plate.  I have not seen these feature on any other early North Carolina rifle.  Was this used in other states?

Zenas Alexander was the only Mecklenburg School gunsmith who also worked as a silver-smith.  Here are photos of a silver mounted Mecklenburg School pistol. 
It is possible that the pistol was made by him, but it is unsigned.

Note: Mecklenburg School fore-stock molding.

Silver mounted southern pistols are very rare.

My book on the Mecklenburg School is over 90% complete and will be published this summer. I have so far photographed all but one of the known rifles from this school and have made arrangements to photograph it soon.  I am still hopeful that additional Mecklenburg School rifles will surface.

I will have advance copies of the book at Wayne Elliott's Tennessee Show in April.  Wayne Elliott, Mel Hankla and myself are scheduled to give a full day seminar on southern Longrifles at M.E.S.D.A. in Old Salem in September.

Thanks for viewing my long post.  Any comments are welcome.

Michael Briggs

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 03:04:50 PM by Dennis Glazener »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: My greatest find - Zenas Alexander, early Mecklenburg N.C. gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
Wonderful find and research Mike.  Thank you.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »
Very fine research and rifle! Congrats on your successful engagement of the museum and local folks. Exemplary.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Steve Collward

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 10:37:43 PM »
Great story and excellent photos.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2016, 11:16:54 PM »
That is a most exciting story and a very great rifle find!!  I got goose bumps when you found the Z A initials on the patchbox lid!   Well done Mike!
Joel Hall

Big Wolf

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 11:29:23 PM »
Congratulations, what an exciting find!

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 12:45:03 AM »
Very nice and unique! Dr you have some "before" pictures? What exactly was done to restore this piece?

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 12:49:17 AM »
Outstanding find. Thanks for sharing. This kind of post is part of what makes this site great.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 01:05:11 AM »
Michael,
Thanks for posting such an interesting story. I appreciate you sharing this with us. I hope you will let me know the date for the full day seminar at M.E.S.D.A in September. I for one would like to attend and I am sure their are others that would like to as well.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 01:09:01 AM »
Yes, most interesting, and quite a find for you there!  Thanks for sharing it with us all here.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

The Rambling Historian

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 01:31:18 AM »
Both of those are certainly excellent finds! I'm particularly found of that pistol.

Offline gibster

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2016, 03:30:29 AM »
Great find Mike.  Will you have this at the show in April?  Would enjoy seeing it first hand.

Offline VP

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
Great job Michael,

It is amazing what hard research work can provide to the collecting community. Can't wait for your publications.

VP

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2016, 08:06:59 AM »
Stunning condition on both the rifle and the pistol.

Did you have them at the Greensboro Show where spoke with you last?

Looking forward to the September posting date.

Buck
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2016, 08:43:01 AM »
Well done, Michael. And great detective work. Such finds get the old heart racing.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2016, 02:59:28 PM »
Very interesting. Great find. Thank you for posting this.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
I'm interested in knowing what features the pistol has that define it as Mechlenberg School
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2016, 07:36:55 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for their gracious comments.  I am glad that a lot of people have enjoyed reading the story, the history of an early North Carolina gunsmith and seeing the photos of two great artifacts.

I will attempt to answer some of the questions you have asked.

[James Rogers]  I do have the before photos but do not wish to publish them.  All of the important items were still with the rifle, there was a few inches of wood missing and there were some cracks in the stock.  The lock and triggers are original to the rifle.  There were still traces of the carving on the wrist, tang, and fore-stock.

[Dennis]  M.E.S.D.A. has not provided the exact date.  I will get one from Robert Leath and advise this site.  

[Gibster] It is my plan to set up a display of my six Mecklenburg School rifles and the pistol at Wayne's show in Tennessee in April.  I will also have advance copies of the book.

[Buck]  I did not have any Mecklenburg School items at the Greensboro Gun Show.

[Shreckmeister]  That is a good question.  Some of the features that help differentiate between the nine identified North Carolina schools are the fore-stock molding and how it is terminated, along with the shape of the barrel tang.  The pistol has a good example of Mecklenburg style molding and ends with a volute or "C" scroll.  The barrel tang on the pistol is also consistent with that used on Mecklenburg School rifles.  I strongly felt the pistol was from North Carolina when I first looked at it and purchased it.  I then brought it back and shared it with Gerald Neaves, Bill Ivey, and Kenneth Orr.  It was Gerald who pointed out the fore-stock molding was Mecklenburg School.  Bill and Kenneth agreed.  Gerald said after studying the pistol, "That is a $#*! of a gun."  I agree.

Michael Briggs      
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:40:31 PM by mbriggs »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2016, 07:43:53 PM »
Thanks Mike.  Can we see a photo of the tang?

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »

Barrel tang of pistol
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 12:34:15 AM by Tim Crosby »
C. Michael Briggs

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 08:39:52 PM »
Mike
First let me say thank you for sharing pictures of both the rifle and pistol Z A was quite talented. I look forward to seeing the rifle and pistol in April and also being able to purchase an advanced copy of the book. Are the barrel dimensions available? Cal. Length, breech across the flats  etc, whether swampedl or not? I also noticed the lock was more Germanic in style was this common in this school. Thanks Tim

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 09:25:34 PM »
Interesting rear sight on the tang.

Big Wolf

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 10:00:01 PM »
Early North Carilina rifles are really interesting, every time I see one I see things I've never seen before. The interesting patchbox on the rifle is one and the sight on the tang of the pistol is another. Super nice guns, thank you for posting them. Just curious though, the rifle appears to be in great shape, and any restoration was very well done and not noticeable. Is it original flint?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:09:42 AM by Big Wolf »

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »
Congratulations on your find and thanks so much for sharing with us here.  This is the kind of stuff that makes this site so great.  Looking forward to your book.  My interest in studying the NC flintlocks has grown the past couple of years as I research ancestors of mine from the area.  I, too, think the rear sight on the pistol tang is pretty nifty.
Jerry

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2016, 12:47:29 AM »
I also find that double line in the rifle's butt plate very interesting and unique. You say this is a "step" in the plate? Can't see it very well from the photo's but sure would enjoy the 3 dimensions from an in hand inspection!  I keep coming back to this amazing thread and rereading and viewing it with new excitement every time!  Like a ride on the old Ferris wheel!      :D
Joel Hall