Author Topic: "Upside-down" initials and signatures  (Read 3274 times)

Offline Arcturus

"Upside-down" initials and signatures
« on: February 19, 2016, 10:30:30 PM »
Perhaps this has been discussed here in the past, but I've always wondered why many engraved patchbox signatures and initials appear upside-down when viewing the rifle horizontally from the lock side.  Was it due to the way one would view the rifle when holding it and turning one's wrist slightly?  To be seen from the shooter's perspective rather than when viewed on display?  I haven't read any theories or reason for this and have wondered about it for a while.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 10:34:07 PM by Arcturus »
Jerry

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
Re: "Upside-down" initials and signatures
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:52:56 PM »
Jerry,
Many North Carolina Longrifles are signed on the patchbox lid and half of those are signed upside down. It is for the reason you guessed.  The person holding the rifle can then read the name or initials.

Michael Briggs 
C. Michael Briggs

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:35:24 AM »
It is my opinion that a lot of folks back in those days could not read or write and it did not matter to the rifle's owner if the signature was upside down when viewing the frontal lock side.  They were more content to "study" the maker's or owner's names or initials while out on the hunt.  Just a theory.     
Joel Hall

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 12:48:43 AM »
I have a Easton rifle by one of the Young family. It has an upside down dog on the patch box lid. I always wondered if they hung the rifles trigger guard up on the wall. I don't know why they would want to though.
JIM

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 12:54:44 AM »
Has anyone ever seen barrel signatures engraved from the side plate side going toward the breech? 
Joel Hall

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 11:20:22 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies.  I find the history of these old guns fascinating.
Jerry