Author Topic: What happens when you don't swab between shots?  (Read 60675 times)

Offline Arcturus

Re: What happens when you don't swab between shots?
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »

I personally will not use that PC word(s). The way it is today by certain groups it is just a substitute for Censorship. I about as non PC as you get, as most likely many of the members of this forum are.

And enough of that. And, everybody, please let us not turn this thread into a PC discussion.

OldMtnMan,

I could be wrong, but based on context I'm not certain John is referring to "period correct" when he reads the words "PC".
Jerry

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
Daryl,
I wonder if fat from eastern woodchucks would work as well, being close cousins of the marmots...I've always noticed how greasy they are.  Next big one I shoot I plan to skin to make some pouches, so I'll have to try rendering the fat as well.  I agree that low low heat is the way to get the most liquid oil.
Jerry

JOHN L. HINNANT

« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2016, 09:50:51 PM »
Good Morning OldMtnMan,

OK..., OK,

Yes..., I am referring to words "Political Correctness" as used by those who are consider a number us to be "Political Uncorrect" for our beliefs and our style of life.

And I do strongly think that word is just another word for "Censorship." Just look at the colleges and universities across this county that issue a formal list of words that cannot be uttered on campus without reprisal.

My paternal Grandfather taught me "There is never any excuse for bad manners." And I work everyday trying to live by that. Some days are much harder that others, but not the case here.

Now please..., can we end this before I am accused of trying to start  political discussion, which is definitely not my intention. This is one of those times when I wish I had kept my opinion to myself and my big mouth shut.

My apologies to anybody I might have offended. Perhaps one of the moderator will move this part of this discussion to a more appropriate thread.

My respects to All,

John L. Hinnant
"God and Texas"

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2016, 11:46:49 PM »
I was talking about doing things as they did in the fur trade era. I don't know why you thought I meant political correctness when I said PC?

btw...I go out of my way to never be politically correct. I'm never offended, but i'm sure I offend. Just a grumpy old mountain man.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2016, 01:33:44 AM »
Daryl,

I wonder if fat from eastern woodchucks would work as well, being close cousins of the marmots...I've always noticed how greasy they are.  Next big one I shoot I plan to skin to make some pouches, so I'll have to try rendering the fat as well.  I agree that low low heat is the way to get the most liquid oil.

I don't see why woodchucks would not make good oil for patching. Even if it came out in a fairly solid state, the shortening should also work - in warmer weather, after all, bear grease does.

Dan always suggests to use a double boiler for rendering fat into oil.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:22:55 AM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Bluesmoke

• Starting Member
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2016, 06:50:25 AM »
Well Folks, what happens to me is that I typically shoot 40 shots a session without fouling.

Prior to learning not to swab between shots, I had fouling and misfires. Some wise fellow shooters of long experience suggested I use sloppy wet patches.I use Ballistol, liquid soap and window washer, 1/3rd each as the lube.

The rifle ,a 54 percussion Pedersoli Tryon shoots extremely well and I have not had any fouling  problems since changing.

Clean up is flushing with tepid water/ window washer and and half a dozen patches and re oil with Ballistol. ten minutes work and is far cleaner and faster than old method.
In addition no one is grumpy at me cos I take so long to load and cycle through in a multi shot comp.

It works for me!

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2016, 12:43:42 AM »
The liquids are fine for target shooting, but not so hot for hunting in cold weather. Maybe not for hunting at all.

I use bear tallow for hunting and I like to do everything the same all the time. So, I use the same thing for target shooting even though it requires swabbing. If the liquids worked for everything i'd use it.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2016, 05:45:01 PM »

Prior to learning not to swab between shots, I had fouling and misfires. Some wise fellow shooters of long experience suggested I use sloppy wet patches.I use Ballistol, liquid soap and window washer, 1/3rd each as the lube.

Bluesmoke, you know, I think this is good information (for me, at least).  I was hesitant about using sloppy (drippy) wet patches because, well... nobody wants to taint their powder charge with wet lube, right?   

But then I thought about it....  pushing a drippy wet patch tight into the muzzle, then rubbing that along 35-40 inches of bore... most of the lube will be left on the bore, as the wetness is drawn out of the cotton.

So not only is the patch considerably drier at the bottom of the barrel, you have a nice coat of lube on the bore.  So each shot cleans the bore quite nicely.  With less fouling stuck to the bore after each shot, you are pushing less fouling down the bore, so it accumulates more slowly at the breech.

I am going to do this next time out at the range.   

And I'm still kicking around ideas for a jag that will pull the fouling out without pushing much of it down to the breech.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2016, 05:59:25 PM »
The middle of the wet patch that sits on the powder will not be touching the bore on the way down.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2016, 07:54:30 PM »
I use a sloppy wet thick patch and a .005" maximum bore undersized soft lead ball when I load.  The patch is stretched tightly around the bottom of the ball, and that wet lube has to go somewhere.  I think a good portion of it is transferred to the bore and the fouling left from the previous shot, but some for certain remains and is deposited onto/into the powder charge.  So what?!  You will never have a misfire because your powder was contaminated with water/oil even if you have to wait for fifteen minutes between shots.  The important things here are first, consistency in the load and second, in the bore's condition.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »
I can get the same accuracy and leave it loaded for a week. Which is my point. Target shooting and hunting are different. I can make my hunting method work for target shooting. I can't do it the other way around if I use a sloppy wet patch.

We don't all have the same goal.

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #136 on: December 14, 2016, 10:45:46 PM »
I can make my hunting method work for target shooting. I can't do it the other way around if I use a sloppy wet patch.

We don't all have the same goal.

I agree.  It's bear or other animal grease for me all the time.  And as I've said also, I prefer to load and shoot traditional guns in the traditional manner.  If I thought I "needed" to load a piece of 18th Century technology in a modern fashion to improve performance, I'd just as soon shoot a modern gun. 
Jerry

Offline Daryl

« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2016, 11:22:01 PM »
I've left a hunting load, loaded for 3 months, then hit centre, right on the bead at 100 meters when I finally touched it off.  Neetsfoot oil works for me.

When I lived in Smithers before Marmots became protected, I used marmot oil for a hunting patch lube, as well as bear grease. Both worked very well.  I also bought some mink oil from Track and that worked well too. Now, I have a choice, mink oil from Track or Neetsfoot oil.

Both oils seem to shoot about the same in my 14 bore - most everything does.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:26:36 PM by Daryl »
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #138 on: December 20, 2016, 12:20:54 AM »
I like mink oil too from TOW. I used it before the bear tallow. Both about the same in results. Bear tallow just sounds more mountain man. :D

sloe bear

« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2016, 06:58:50 PM »
Looks like there are lots of ideas out there, we all have our favorite method. with the right PRB combo I have shot most of the day at rendezvous and only needed to replenish my own spit with a good cold beer,   nothing technical at all about it.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #140 on: December 20, 2016, 07:07:25 PM »
My gun is my buddy. I'd never spit on it. :D

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2016, 01:54:26 AM »
I've left rifles loaded for months after deer season closed; when fired later they all went off perfectly and were just as accurate as a newly loaded rifle.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #142 on: December 21, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
Which means you have a loaded gun in the house. I don't want that.

Offline little joe

« Reply #143 on: December 21, 2016, 02:30:03 AM »
I've left rifles loaded for months after deer season closed; when fired later they all went off perfectly and were just as accurate as a newly loaded rifle.
A loaded deer season rifle that would not go off was put on the wall in the town I live several yrs. ago and guess what, couple months later the 14 year olds were were pulling bull $#*& with  it and the result was a dead 10 year old in the next room who was watching Sat. morning cartoons. May his soul rest in peace as his life was was stolen from him.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #144 on: December 22, 2016, 01:12:49 AM »
Which means you have a loaded gun in the house. I don't want that.

OldMtnMan, little joe, you both would then likely be SHOCKED speechless if you only knew how many loaded guns live at my house and where they reside.  My wife and I live alone and no urchins are ever at our place.  True, we did childproof the house many years ago; but one still managed to get in  ;D.

While I don't don't really need a gun to be dangerous, nothing wrong with being super dangerous.  8)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #145 on: December 22, 2016, 04:50:48 AM »
I live in an apartment with strict rules. If I got caught with a loaded gun i'd get booted out. I'm in the habit of shooting out the load at the end of a hunting day anyway. So, no big deal for me.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #146 on: December 22, 2016, 05:28:11 PM »
I consider a ML unloaded if the cap/prime is removed and the hammer down on a leather pad or toothpick plug.  Several states have or had this or similar in their game regs.  Nothing wrong w a totally empty ML either.  Local laws, rules and common sense apply.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #147 on: December 22, 2016, 09:15:40 PM »
Here in ol' Va, as well in my native Ga, a ML is unloaded when there's NO PRIME and NO CAP.  Been that way since my Neanderthal ancestors were hunting with spears.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #148 on: December 22, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »
Same here in Colorado, but a flintlock has been known to fire with no prime in the pan.

Offline little joe

« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2016, 09:50:06 PM »
Same here in Colorado, but a flintlock has been known to fire with no prime in the pan.
I have demonstrated this. I had a smoothbore and on average 7 to 10 trys and it would go off. It only takes 1 spark in the right place.