Author Topic: What happens when you don't swab between shots?  (Read 60632 times)

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
Re: What happens when you don't swab between shots?
« Reply #150 on: December 23, 2016, 12:18:23 AM »
I've fired them with no prime, myself.  But it can't happen unless there's a nut behind the trigger.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
« Reply #151 on: December 23, 2016, 12:52:32 AM »
You always have to imagine the worst. let's say you get hit by a truck and go to the happy hunting grounds. Your wife sells the guns. the buyer takes the gun(s) home and has kids. You can imagine the rest.

It's always best to keep guns unloaded. You never know what can happen in the future.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #152 on: January 05, 2017, 12:28:34 AM »
I agree OldMtnMan... I kept a flintlock loaded overnight once this season, knowing I was going back out the next day.  Of course, the pan was emptied out and a toothpick inserted in the vent hole.  I probably won't do it again, though, as I believe the powder may damage the metal inside the bore at the breech, if left loaded often.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline little joe

« Reply #153 on: January 05, 2017, 06:17:01 AM »
I have a loaded one in the shop now soaking to soften things up, About 28 ga. and looks like has been loaded for 100 yrs or more as it was a family hand me down.  The owners grampa said said it was his great grandads and the old folks who have passed on could never recall it being  shot. I do not know what is in there but something is in there. There was a case several yrs. ago where they were trying to un breech a bbl mounted in a vice, applying heat  to the breech and the son walked in front of it as it discharged taking his life. We cannot be too careful.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2017, 12:27:42 AM »
I agree OldMtnMan... I kept a flintlock loaded overnight once this season, knowing I was going back out the next day.  Of course, the pan was emptied out and a toothpick inserted in the vent hole.  I probably won't do it again, though, as I believe the powder may damage the metal inside the bore at the breech, if left loaded often.

Bones, the powder sitting in the breech will not harm the bore by itself. 

If there is fouling in the bore THAT will harm the bore.

Now, if a water based lube is used on the patch - THAT will harm the bore.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2017, 05:34:08 AM »
Black powder is hygroscopic. It attracts moisture. Moisture = rust.

I don't understand. We buy BP by the case to save money. We cast balls to save money. We go to fabric stores to buy cheap patching material. A PRB load is very cheap to shoot and some leave the gun loaded for long periods. Shoot it out and clean the gun.

I couldn't sleep at night if my gun was loaded or even worse.......not cleaned.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2017, 09:54:58 PM »
Black powder itself is not hygroscopic enough to cause rust.  Old guns have been found loaded and after more than a century later the powder was still good and the gun free of rust in the breech.  BP fouling, however, IS hygroscopic and will cause rust in even a modestly humid climate.  Those in a dry climate will find they can safely wait days to clean and still not experience rust.

I lived in Georgia (USA) for 62 years.  The climate is often HOT and HUMID in the extreme.  Guns I've left loaded for months exhibited absolutely no rust; of course they were clean when loaded.  As long as the gun is clean of fouling to begin with, it will not rust from unburned powder given normal storage.  I once kept a c&b revolver loaded for nearly a year out on a table next to a window.  Eventually I fired it and it was still pristine.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2017, 10:59:54 PM »
You say it's not hygroscopic enough to cause rust. Which means you're admitting it is hygroscopic. Even if it's a little hygroscopic it will attract moisture by the very definition of the word. We're talking about powder that's in contact with air and it's on bare metal.

Your experience is only your experience. Not a 100% final answer.

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2017, 11:20:07 PM »
Wow. Decades of partially used metal cans owned by ? How ndreds or even thousands and they rusted thru ?   Oh they didn't. Ok.
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2017, 11:38:17 PM »
Nice sarcasm.

From a chemist.

"A problem associated with black powder is its hygroscopicity. Black powder absorbs about 1.5 weight percent moisture under 75 percent relative humidity at a temperature of 21.1.degrees C. (70.degrees F.) over a period of 24 hours. If black powder picks up sufficient moisture, there is a possibility that the black powder will not burn as fast. High relative humidity may cause erratic behavior. Water may cause the potassium nitrate to migrate out of the black powder and cause corrosion of metallic parts."

Offline Standing Bear

« Reply #160 on: January 07, 2017, 06:06:59 AM »
Lots of "ifs and mays". It may happen to me and if it does , well ok. Been leaving hunting loads for week plus from AR and LA to TX, NM and CO for 40 years. Have 2 right now.
TC
Nothing is hard if you have the right equipment and know how to use it.  OR have friends who have both.

http://texasyouthhunting.com/

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #161 on: January 07, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »
Good for you. I've been shooting mine out for almost 50 years.

I could care less what anybody else does. I'm simply pointing out that it's possible to rust. I also think it's dangerous to leave guns loaded. Nobody can predict what happens to a gun in the future.

Offline hanshi

• martialartsusa.com
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
Most everything, gun stock wood for example, will admit a bit of moisture.  You're using a "play on words" about it.  I can assure you that I've never - and this goes for my friends who keep guns loaded, often in hot, humid weather - had BP "soak up moisture".  Even when I've happened to leave a container of BP open and exposed there was NO moisture detected.  I've hunted in rain and fog and NEVER had to change the prime; assuming the gun hasn't been fired and I kept the lock under my arm.  Do as you see fit and good luck.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:22 PM »
There's other reasons to not keep a gun loaded and they were pointed out in this thread. That should really be the bottom line and forgetting the moisture part.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2017, 12:10:21 AM »
So, where are the moderators that are so quick on the trigger to lock a subject when it has only  gone a page or less? This thread is starting to look like "War and Peace". And, it's never going to end. Those that swab after every shot aren't going to stop, and those that don't aren't going to start, end of story.

Hungry Horse

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #165 on: January 10, 2017, 12:44:48 AM »
So, where are the moderators that are so quick on the trigger to lock a subject when it has only  gone a page or less? This thread is starting to look like "War and Peace". And, it's never going to end. Those that swab after every shot aren't going to stop, and those that don't aren't going to start, end of story.

Hungry Horse

Here I am Mr Horse, let me know where I missed seeing that ALR rules have been broken and I will gladly take care of the problem, otherwise carry-on.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Daryl

« Reply #166 on: January 10, 2017, 02:54:20 AM »
Funny about all of this is:

"A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still".

However, for all of those who will not attempt trying without wiping, there are a few, who are very happy they tried - THOSE people we are so happy to have reached and are indeed, the reason we endeavour to persevere.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2017, 06:08:39 AM »
I find being stubborn more fun.  :)

Offline rollingb

« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2017, 06:16:14 PM »
I have no problem with those who wipe between shots, although personally, I've never found the need to do so.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 09:23:15 PM by Ky-Flinter »
http://tradmla.org/tmaf/index.php
"An honest man is worth his weight in gold"

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2017, 06:28:26 PM »
Which means you have a loaded gun in the house. I don't want that.

OldMtnMan, little joe, you both would then likely be SHOCKED speechless if you only knew how many loaded guns live at my house and where they reside.  My wife and I live alone and no urchins are ever at our place.  True, we did childproof the house many years ago; but one still managed to get in  ;D.

While I don't don't really need a gun to be dangerous, nothing wrong with being super dangerous.  8)
I have alot of loaded guns in the house and in the shop. What good is a gun that isn't loaded? We have a rule here, always assume a gun is loaded.
 I have raised 4 kids with loaded guns all over the house. Never has been an issue. If you don't make guns mysterious scary objects kids could care less about them.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Daryl

« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
Which means you have a loaded gun in the house. I don't want that.

OldMtnMan, little joe, you both would then likely be SHOCKED speechless if you only knew how many loaded guns live at my house and where they reside.  My wife and I live alone and no urchins are ever at our place.  True, we did childproof the house many years ago; but one still managed to get in  ;D.

While I don't don't really need a gun to be dangerous, nothing wrong with being super dangerous.  8)
I have alot of loaded guns in the house and in the shop. What good is a gun that isn't loaded? We have a rule here, always assume a gun is loaded.
 I have raised 4 kids with loaded guns all over the house. Never has been an issue. If you don't make guns mysterious scary objects kids could care less about them.

Elmer Keith invited 2 friends of mine in to his house. They drove from Smithers, B.C. to Salmon Idaho, just to visit him. Elmer said - don't touch any of the guns, they are all loaded - his gun collection sold last year at Holt's Auction House, for 16 million US Dollars total.  bob asked him- why loaded - Elmer replied" what good is an unloaded gun?" Then he said " people only have accidents with unloaded guns.  If they are loaded, no one touches them unless they are needed.  If needed, they need to be loaded".
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:45 PM »
Not sure Elmer shot sidelocks? A CF gun is not nearly as dangerous. It's very easy to see when they're loaded. A sidelock is different. If you aren't experienced you can't tell if it is or isn't loaded. A flintlock can be fired without powder in the pan. It's not hard to see how accidents can happen.

You feel safe because you have control of your guns. What if all of a sudden you weren't around? Do you really want to leave loaded guns for others to handle who may know nothing about sidelocks?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:42:17 PM by OldMtnMan »