Author Topic: Mike Brooks .40 cal  (Read 21947 times)

Offline wattlebuster

Mike Brooks .40 cal
« on: February 24, 2016, 02:34:05 AM »
Well its been a long wait but well worth it in my opinion. I had our very own Mike Brooks build me a slim trim really light little .40 cal kinda like his #300 gun that I admired an looked at on his site a million times. I wanted it close but not so much carving an engraving being im a plain gun kind of guy. The barrel is a 38 inch A weight .40 cal Charles Burton that he coned for me when he made the barrel. The stock is a piece of black walnut that Curt lyles cut a few yrs back an the lock is a Chambers round faced english assembled by LC Rice. Its all iron mounted an single trigger an the front sight is a 1962 silver quarter which is my birth yr. I dont have scales but this little gal is very light an should be a joy to carry in the woods. When Mike got down in the wood he found a bark inclusion an done a fine job patching it.  I name my guns an already have Samson my Don Bruton southern iron mounted rifle to big game hunt with so Mike made Delilah for me. I paired her up with a Curt Lyles goatskin bag an a Scott Sibley southern horn.  Mike was an absolute gentleman to deal with an has really tripped my trigger with this lil gal. Hope ya like her.

Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline iloco

• Old Timer, Chilhowie, Va.
Re: Mike Brooks .40 cal
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 04:12:00 AM »
That is a fine looking rifle.
 I have Number 330 which is a 20 ga fowler that Mike made.  He does some mighty fine work.
iloco

Online smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 04:43:55 AM »
Hi,
That is a very fine and believable rifle.  And slim!!  Wow! 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 05:36:44 AM »
Fine looking outfit there gentlemen. All looks like it's spent awhile in the woods.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 05:50:20 AM »
 Allen I will have to agree with you Mike did a  very nice job on that rifle as well as Scott and Cathy Sibley on the horn.But I wouldnt show that ratty lookin bag around too much.iT LOOKS LIKE THE WAIT WAS WORTH IT .Curt

Offline Long Ears

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 06:32:07 AM »
That is a work of art. Wow. That whole rig is perfect. Thanks for sharing. Bob

Offline WaterFowl

• Move More= Die Less
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 07:17:57 AM »
WB...  Very very nice rig!....Now how ya gonna top that? 
Feel sorry for ya--Doesn't get much better ..
You put a lot of thought and planning  into it...Merry Christmas......Enjoy!...dan

Offline gwill

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
Beautiful gun.  Looks like it'll be a joy to carry and shoot. 

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2016, 02:25:05 PM »
Very nice.  If you don't mind saying so, how much would something like this set one back?
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2016, 04:15:24 PM »
Great photos, I need to get a new camera. It weighs a couple ounces over 7lbs. The stock has was 1/4 sawn and has attractive growth rings IMO.
 This was one of those guns that fought me all the way as happens from time to time. The stock smelled like dead carp washed up on the beach when I ran it through the band saw....should have been a hint to the future. I was building this when I notched my finger with the angle grinder and super glued it back together. That knot put me off so bad I quit working for a solid 2 weeks., it was only a dark spot in the blank and it turned into a hollow hole that I could stick 1/2 of my little finger into. Almost came out the bottom of the stock! Had a helluva time sawing out that buttplate, couldn't find any hacksaw blades that would keep teeth on them. This is the 3rd ram rod....screwed up the first two... ::)
The inspirational  #300 gun was a real bigish gun, this one is very petite, something that had me scrambling and scratching my head during lay out. Had to reduce the buttstock size way down to match the little barrel. I was worried the lock might be too big, but it looks fine I think. In the end I'm satisfied with how it turned out.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2016, 10:53:09 PM »
I think it turned out fine and the lock works on that small side panel very well.  The pictures do show how petite the rifle really is.  I'd bet that after a day in the woods with carrying it around, you'd still scarcely be aware you were holding it.  I own a featherweight peewee rifle but it's only a .36, not a .40.  With all the troubles carving up the walnut blank, about how long was the wait, watti?
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 12:13:00 AM »
 Thanks everybody for the kind words. I am very tickled with the way she turned out. The wait on Mikes end was about 18 months BUT it took me about 4 or five months to get up all the parts such as barrel, lock, stock, an then the hardware so combined I would say real close to 2 yrs. It took me that long to save the money to pay for her. 20 bucks here 15 there an maybe 25 on a good week. Little bit along an hide it way down deep an the next thing you know ya got enough for a gun. If I had to cough it all up at one time there would be no gun
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 12:56:16 AM »
That there's a honey of a riffle gun.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 01:00:54 AM »
Thanks everybody for the kind words. I am very tickled with the way she turned out. The wait on Mikes end was about 18 months BUT it took me about 4 or five months to get up all the parts such as barrel, lock, stock, an then the hardware so combined I would say real close to 2 yrs. It took me that long to save the money to pay for her. 20 bucks here 15 there an maybe 25 on a good week. Little bit along an hide it way down deep an the next thing you know ya got enough for a gun. If I had to cough it all up at one time there would be no gun
I always keep my stash in the bottom of the sock drawer so my wife can't find it.... :P
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 02:36:42 AM »
Back when I was married the only place I could hide any money that the wife for sure 100% couldnt find was in the OVEN

Offline k gahagan

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 03:37:42 AM »
very nice with clean lines and great hardware. Nice outfit as well.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 04:24:08 AM »
I really like this rifle too!  I love the early architecture and hardware.  A real hunter's rifle.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Kalhoon

• Starting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2016, 04:31:38 AM »
Allen, Congrats on the new rifle,it looks fantastic. Best of luck with it enjoy.

Offline Angus

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2016, 06:20:31 AM »
Now let's go hunting and bag some game! Simply elegant.
Who made the sling?
What inspired the side plate design?

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2016, 03:15:34 PM »
Angus that is a Ed Wilde sling. I think that is a close copy of the sideplate that is on the Faber rifle but I am probably wrong on that. Mike can tell you way more than me about that. All I know is I have always loved the look of it an when I looked at Mikes site an saw the #300 rifle in really crunk this fat rednecks tractor. I asked mike for a rifle in the general shape/architecture of the #300 gun an for sure that sideplate an the rest was up too him. I love what he came up with an have taken a vacation day today just to shoot it an see if I can find what she want to shoot

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2016, 04:07:22 PM »
Angus that is a Ed Wilde sling. I think that is a close copy of the sideplate that is on the Faber rifle but I am probably wrong on that. Mike can tell you way more than me about that. All I know is I have always loved the look of it an when I looked at Mikes site an saw the #300 rifle in really crunk this fat rednecks tractor. I asked mike for a rifle in the general shape/architecture of the #300 gun an for sure that sideplate an the rest was up too him. I love what he came up with an have taken a vacation day today just to shoot it an see if I can find what she want to shoot
Yep, sideplate inspired by the "Fabar" gun.
Glad you fellas enjoy this gun. I'm already 1/2 done with the next. Today is the big "round off" day. It's a "Sir William Johnson" English fowling gun that was intended for the dispersal to the English allies ca. 1750's-1770's.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2016, 06:01:39 PM »
Very cool! That rifle definitely has the "it" factor.  Should be a sweetheart to carry in the woods.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2016, 11:31:00 PM »
Good Lookin' outfit. Should be a lot of fun in the woods. I like the early style flintlocks best, and always like Mike's work. 
Jerry

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2016, 04:10:08 AM »
Well I took a vacation day from work an set in to getting to know Delilah. Before I could get much done the wind got pretty darn high. Too high to be trying to see what loads do what. My cousin called me to see how it shot an I told him of my wind ordeal. He come up with the ideal of shooting out of his 400 ft chicken house being they were empty an clleaned an waiting to be restocked with baby chicks. He was right. It was out of the wind an with the target set up at the back doors the ball went into the dirt banks behind just perfectly.. Long story short is I tried several different loads/combos/patches an have found that she really likes 40 gr fffg pushing a .380 ball wrapped in a .020 pillow tick patch lubed with my own mixture of deer tallow/olive oil. Next shooting session will be to get the sights adjusted now that im happy with the grouping. I will have to say that was a first for me shooting in a chicken house but I sure was'nt gonna waste a vacation day due to wind

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2016, 07:18:38 AM »
I like everything about this rifle. Color , finish, and especially lines.