Author Topic: Mystery gun....Narragansett Arms?  (Read 16479 times)

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
Mystery gun....Narragansett Arms?
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:50:36 AM »
I bought this from TOW many years ago and they had it listed as a Narragansett Arms .54 cal. smooth rifle. There is not an identifying mark on it, other than the inside of the lock plate is marked to the Caywood company. The barrel appears to be a Colerain profile, and most of the parts look like they were from TOW. Not bad workmanship, but I think the color and the Permalin finish are awful. I bought it as a project gun and planned to refinish it  but just have not gotten around to it. The touch hole is HUGE (.100+) and I will have to put a White Lightning liner in it.....right now it "self primes" with 2FG. Pardon the crummy pictures as the light was failing.... Anyone have any information on this gun?
Tom

If this isn't the right forum for this thread,  please feel free to move it !

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
Re: Mystery gun....Narragansett Arms?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:27:47 PM »
I can't offer any useful input, but I will say it's a handsome piece (IMHO).
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
TDW
I don't know if you want info on the gun or the company. Narragansett Arms Lmtd. Once advertised in Muzzleblasts as located in the Stutz Business Center, 212 West 10th Street, Suite F-135, Indianapolis Indiana 46202. Phone 317 917 0847. Don't know much about the guns they sold. I don't even know if the company still exists. I haven't seen much  advertising by them in the recent past. If memory serves me they at one time offered a repro Ferguson. If it sparks and is in a safe condition to shoot enjoy it. Tim

Offline TDW

• AF&AM, DORIC LODGE #53, Past Master
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:59:37 PM »
Sqrildg: Just looking for info on the rifle...guess I wasn't very clear on that.

Mike: Good tips! I will probably start disassembly this weekend, and that will give me something to refer to. When I'm done with it I hope it will look more like one of your great builds!
Tom

Offline cable

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 09:14:33 PM »
TDW
I don't know if you want info on the gun or the company. Narragansett Arms Lmtd. Once advertised in Muzzleblasts as located in the Stutz Business Center, 212 West 10th Street, Suite F-135, Indianapolis Indiana 46202. Phone 317 917 0847. Don't know much about the guns they sold. I don't even know if the company still exists. I haven't seen much  advertising by them in the recent past. If memory serves me they at one time offered a repro Ferguson. If it sparks and is in a safe condition to shoot enjoy it. Tim

yes, they made a run of Fergusons at the time of the bicentennial.   I have one.

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 10:36:16 PM »
I like that gun, too.  A good TH liner and it should be a great multi-use gun.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline D. Buck Stopshere

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 04:17:13 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I want to think they started out making a line of NW trade guns way back when.

They offered a Furguson rifle complete with bayonet and cherry horizontal rack/stand for $3 grand.

Seems like your rifle would have maker's name on the barrel.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

NMLRA Field Rep- North Carolina

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 07:59:16 PM »
Narragansett was started by 2 guys.  One was Terry McClain and I can't remember the other's name.  Spike Hale also worked with them in the shop part-time and did their engraving.  I think the other guy was the money man and had the business experience and did all the marketing.  Pletch would probably remember his name.  I think the original plan was to market commemorative guns like the Ferguson but the venture wasn't lucrative enough.  They split up and Terry moved the business down the KY for a bit.  Don't know what happened after that.

I visited their shop in IN several times and they also exhibited at the Conner Prairie gun show for several years.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2016, 12:25:29 AM »
TOF,
I don't remember the other partner's name either.  I visited the shop in Indy when the Fergusons were made.  I handled a finished one and saw some nice walnut stock material.

I remember Spike Hale and own a knife he made.  I've since lost track of him too.  Hope he's still around.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2016, 05:34:29 AM »
I remember Spike Hale and own a knife he made.  I've since lost track of him too.  Hope he's still around.
I've also got one of his knives, a small Damascus patchknife.  He and Steve Welch were just mentioned in the last issue of MuzzleBlasts by John Curry and there was a picture.  I don't know when it was taken, but if they're hanging with Curry they must still be around.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dave R

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2016, 06:06:20 AM »
Pletch TOF and anyone that has a knife made by Spike Hale, How are they signed or were they signed?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2016, 06:07:27 PM »
Pletch TOF and anyone that has a knife made by Spike Hale, How are they signed or were they signed?

He signed them ECH III which stands for E. Caroll Hale III.  This one could be yours  ;D
I don't know if he signed any guns he built or engraving that he did for Narragansett.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 06:16:51 PM by T*O*F »
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2016, 04:13:23 AM »
The partner was mike Phillips i believe .

Offline Dave R

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2016, 08:55:20 AM »
Thanks for the info on Spike Hale signature!! A couple of friends and myself visited Narragansett in the Stutz building in Indy many years ago and yes they were building Ferugisons in the Stutz building!! As most of you know Stutz built many classy cars including the Bearcat back in the 1920's and 30's!
Unfortunatly they were victims of the great depression. While visiting I purchased a curley maple handle hand forged knife with the initials EHC 111 from Spike!! Had to get it out of my shop to make sure!!THANKS FOR THE INFO!!

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2016, 09:00:25 PM »
The partner was mike Phillips i believe .
Nope, I don't think so.  That name doesn't ring a bell.
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2016, 11:10:21 PM »
Phillip Edwards was the other owner.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2016, 07:21:37 PM »
Phillip Edwards was the other owner.
That's him!!
Dave Kanger

-S.M. Tomlinson

echale3

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 06:46:34 AM »
That rifle looks to be a very early NA gun, probably dating back to when Jackie Brown was building for Phil.  That'd be before Terry and I were involved as gunbuilders.  Terry and I both built guns, and I did all the custom woodcarving and engraving.

Guns like that built when Terry and I were involved would have had the trigger guard pinned, not screwed (unless it was historically accurate to do so) and the finish would have been hand rubbed boiled linseed oil.  Pull the tang bolt--if it's a wood screw instead of a bolt threaded through into the trigger plate, it's definitely not one either Terry or I built.

None of the NA guns Terry and I built were signed.  We did build the full run of 250 Ferguson Rifles.  I built about half of the ones that went out, Terry did the other half.  They were a PITA to biuld compared to the rest of the rifles we built but they were pretty cool to shoot, though.

As far as knives and such, it's only my early work that had the engraved ECH III. Then I went to an round intaglio stamp that had my initials on it, and I currently use a rather rectangular intaglio stamp that has a stylized "H" on it.

BTW, the trek John Curry, Steve "Butcher" Welch and I did that y'all are referencing happened quite a few years ago.  It was a blast, for sure, especially when our shelter collapsed in the middle of the night after a storm and soaked us (especially John).

I'm still kicking, I live in Roanoke, VA now and have for the past 8+ years.  I still do some blacksmithing, but these days it's more as demonstrations at a pioneer village set up in Wytheville, VA rather than as a serious sideline like I used to do.  I am currently involved with helping the city set up a blacksmith/gunsmith shop as part of a local museum project, though, which should get me more active in that regard.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:53:45 AM by echale3 »

Offline TPH

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
Thanks for that post echale3, good information and good to know, I grew up near Roanoke.  May have to make a trip to Wytheville.  :)
T.P. Hern