Author Topic: The Blog  (Read 13712 times)

Offline elk killer

The Blog
« on: February 29, 2016, 03:51:33 PM »
Well,,
No more daily blog posts from Art and Jan,..!!
I for one will sure miss it, I really enjoyed seeing
new things,,

I am sure it took a lot of time and effort,
many thanks for making each day fun to go,
and see what's different!!!
only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline Bill Ladd

Re: The Blog
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:26:31 PM »
Oh no!!!!! 

ricktull

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 05:12:49 PM »
they post on facebook every day now

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 05:17:57 PM »
 :'( :'( :'(

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:18:33 PM »
 What news! It has been my first stop every day for years, I have gotten some great ideas from it.
 My thanks to Art and Jan for their time and the service they have provided this culture over the years. I look forward to the new and will continue to use past posts for reference.  

Tim C.

Offline art riser

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 05:22:29 PM »
We will continue to post, but not every day.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:22 PM »
What's facebook?
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
Contemporary Makers Blogspot Announcement
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »
Art and Jan Riser made an announcement this morning on their blog that  after 8 years of daily posting some of the finest handcrafted contemporary as well as antique colonial American items that it is time for a change.  They are going to change to weekly updates.

I cannot even begin to fathom how many hours these two people have dedicated to this blog for our enjoyment.  The blog has been a part of my daily routine as well as many others.  It was one of the first places we would visit when we fired up our computers in the AM.

I would like to personally express my gratitude and thanks to Art and Jan for their tireless dedication to enlightening all us students of the longrifle for the past 8 years.

I will embrace the new format just as I did the old.  I wish Art and Jan all the best in this next phase of their life.  You both have earned a much deserved break from the daily task of providing us with nourishment and encouragement in our contemporary artists journey.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart.
David           

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Re: Contemporary Makers Blogspot Announcement
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 07:20:12 PM »
Yes, thanks.  Thank you Jan and Art.

Some may not realize the hassles of presenting well-manicured content on the web, blog or otherwise.

"The Blog" is one of my startup tabs.  I see it every day.

Hold to the Wind

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »
What's facebook?

Dear Fellow Caveman,
Facebook replaced the internet for people ages 30+.  My 86 year old grandmother uses it daily.
Instagram replaced the internet for people younger than that.
I grew up in the 80's so I use both, albeit with some reluctance.
You're welcome,
Younger, Fellow Anachronistic Person

Offline EricEwing

• https://www.ericewingmaker.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 07:37:29 PM »
I will miss the daily blog updates ...I look at it before I even eat breakfast in the morning.  I've gotten a tremendous amount of creative energy from the archives of the Contemporary Makers Blog, education on a multitude of intertwined arts and history I barely knew existed, and have even made a few friends and mentors as a result of it.  I'm grateful Art and Jan are going to still update it when they can, and I'm looking forward to seeing their future posts!

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 07:46:08 PM »
Yes Art and Jan, thank you for your endless effort to bring our projects to the forefront. I for one am forever grateful. It is my first link every morning.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 07:51:41 PM »
Wonderful stuff on the Contemporary Makers Blog. Daily posting had to be an enormous amount of work. I appreciate the effort that they have put into this.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline EC121

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 08:16:45 PM »
I've only been doing my blog since Sept. last year, and I know how much work it could be to do that volume of work on top of other activities.  If the copy is submitted with the pictures, it is just a cut and paste, but composing the copy, correcting your mistakes, etc. can add time at the keyboard.  They do a great job.
Brice Stultz

Offline Dave R

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 08:46:10 PM »
Jan & Art,
I have thought MANY times how much time and effort taking pictures at the main antique & contemporary events and posting them daily is an 
incredible task!! Thank you both for your commitment to the contemporary movement and looking forward to the new format !! Your efforts have not gone unnoticed.

THANKS AGAIN !!!

Offline Arcturus

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 08:49:21 PM »
Thanks so much to the Risers for all the energy and effort they've put into the blog over the years.  I, too, have for several years started each day by checking out the new post.  I will miss it, but will eagerly look forward to updates every week or so.  Thanks again to Art and Jan for all they do.
Jerry

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 09:15:26 PM »
Well I certainly appreciate the efforts made for the blog. It has become part of my routine as well.
Where I looked forward to it each morning like the morning paper, I can now look forward to it each week like I did in anticipation of my favorite TV shows as a kid.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 09:24:33 PM »
Art and Jan,
I would also like to thank both of you for the wonderful blog that the two of you have worked so hard on for the last 8 years. I know it takes a lot of time to keep up and maintain a site like yours. I for one appreciate you doing it. I will certainly miss it since it was a normal routine of mine to check the blog daily.

Thanks again,
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

IKE

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 09:52:33 PM »
Art and Jan THANK YOU for all that you have done for all of us.See you at the CLA show.

Jerry Eitnier

Offline alyce-james

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 10:46:22 PM »
Jan and Art, a very large THANK YOU for the pleasure you add to this south Texan ( Montana transplant) each morning after vittles. Have a great week. Alyce & Jim
"Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker". by Poet Ogden Nash 1931.

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2016, 11:05:35 PM »
Art an Jan I wish you could realize how much so many of US appreciate all that you have done . Hope to see you at the CLA show. Take care an thanks a million.

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 11:15:34 PM »
Jan and Art, just a couple of days ago I was telling my wife what a massive effort this project must have been all these years. Thanks for all your hard work. I see from these other posts, that I am not the only one whose morning routine included the Risers. Thanks again for all your hard work and thanks for continuing on a weekly schedule......Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline dave gross

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 12:28:10 AM »
Many thanks for your fine work in the past.....rest assured that the multitude will be viewing your efforts in the future.

Dave Gross

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 03:21:07 AM »
Well said, David Rase!  I too offer my sincere appreciation and thanks to Art & Jan!  I'll be looking forward to the weekly updates....  Again, many thanks!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 05:22:56 AM »
I also want to second or third (or...whatever) Dave Rase's excellent comments, but I would also like to ask a favor of Jan, Art, and Robert Weil.....Having come into this contemporary maker's world relatively late in the game, I would like to know a little more about the people who have dedicated so much time, effort, and resources to the promotion and documentation of what we do.  How about a biographical post or two about the three of you and how you came to be the documentarians for all of this contemporary work?
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780