Author Topic: Richard Hergina Rifle  (Read 23190 times)

scott63

Richard Hergina Rifle
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:31:09 AM »
I've been looking for a flintlock, and found this one recently, for less than the price of most kits so I got it. The inside of the barrel looked new, even though there was some wear on the frizzen face. Overall I'm happy with the rifle, but there are a couple things that are kind of a bummer.

The patch box doesn't close tightly, and doesn't have a latch of any kind, just a spring for tension. I think this just needs a touch of work to the inletting and it will close properly, so not a big deal.

After shooting it today, I tried to take it apart to find acraglass around the rear lug area of the barrel. I'm doubtful I'll ever be taking the barrel out due to this! To me this is really a bummer, however I bought this gun to use for target shooting and hunting so it's not as though it is a safe queen.

Last, the sideplate isn't inletted, I suppose I could inlet it so I guess it's not a big deal.

Does anyone have info on Mr. Hergina or his rifles? The only info I could find seems to be his obituary from 2009.

Offline EC121

Re: Richard Hergina Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:49:01 PM »
Nothing wrong with the sideplate.  It is properly inlet.  Glassing the breech is common, but a release agent should have been used.   Looks like the breech inletting could have been done better.   It might come out OK.  If you decide to remove the barrel , don't start wiggling the barrel too much.  You can bend the tang and create more problems.  Sometimes heating or freezing the metal will make adhesives release.  Wood can move with time and humidity.  Patchbox lids can get moved around by wood shrinking.  You said you got it for less than a kit price.  Looks like a decent rifle for the money.  Just shoot it.

Brice Stultz

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 04:09:09 PM »
You don't need to take the barrel out so don't worry about it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 05:52:59 PM »
Lock needs cleaning and polishing. Not much of a problem to do that. Clean the lock after each shooting session and it will last linger and perform better.

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 05:56:48 PM »
I can't imagine the guy permanently fixed the barrel in there. Put a little stress on it while tapping with a wooden mallet, probably pop right out. If not, lay one of those old soldering irons on it till it gets real hot and try the mallet thing again.
Other than that, like Mike said.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

scott63

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 08:07:20 PM »
The pics don't show it really well, but the glass completely envelops the end of the breech. I'll follow Mikes advice and just leave it. I have cleaned the lock a bit, but plan on getting a spring vise to take it apart and get all of the rust off. I do know enough to not mess with the sear engagement angles/surfaces, but is it worthwhile to polish the moving parts surfaces that touch each other? Is it worthwhile to polish the pan?
Thanks,
Scott

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »
 The builder probably followed advice like was given a young builder I had contact with some years ago. He called me, and asked what he should use as a release agent for micro-bed. I told him to coat the parts liberally with Johnson's paste floor wax. He called me a week later and complained that he couldn't get the barrel out of the gun. I asked him if he used enough paste wax. He responded that his dad told him all he had to do was spray everything with WD40.

Hungry Horse

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »
Hergina built rifles for the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio. As far as I know, he mostly used pre-carved stocks and made quite a few rifles. If you see one, then you have basically seen them all (just my opinion). From what I understand, he was pretty quick in building these, but I have'nt any knowledge of the exact number. He's kinda like the Ohio version of Mike Brooks, but sans comments.

The rifles that Hergina built (his first name was Richard) never had any carving or engraving on them that I know of, but there may be one or two. I believe that he was a retired machinist and pretty much built these things on an assembly line sort of process.....like I said, if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

They are not poorly built or bad rifles, they'll shoot and do what they are intended to do. All the parts used are good quality from the Log Cabin shelves.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 08:53:10 PM »
He's kinda like the Ohio version of Mike Brooks, but sans comments.
So, he's a boring dullard? ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Bill Ladd

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 10:43:57 PM »
So, he's a boring dullard? ;D

Hey! Stop talking like that. You're not boring. ;)

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2016, 11:21:06 PM »
 I was recently considering a Hergina rifle being sold by the Log Cabin Shop.  They ended up taking it to a show a couple weeks ago and evidently sold it.  The guy at Log Cabin Shop (forget the name, but very pleasant to deal with on email) said that Richard Hergina made a good number of rifles to be sold through their shop; a sort of in-house builder, so to speak.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Gaeckle

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2016, 07:44:36 AM »
I was recently considering a Hergina rifle being sold by the Log Cabin Shop.  They ended up taking it to a show a couple weeks ago and evidently sold it.  The guy at Log Cabin Shop (forget the name, but very pleasant to deal with on email) said that Richard Hergina made a good number of rifles to be sold through their shop; a sort of in-house builder, so to speak.

I'm gonna guess you were dealing with Mike, he's the e-mail guru over there and has been busy putting things out on a variety of sites. The Log Cabin has a pretty good and well rounded staff. If your anywhere close breezing by you should stop on in, wonèt be disappointed.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2016, 07:21:56 PM »
I would love to visit their shop... but that's a part of the country I have yet to visit.  As it is, a few fellow ALR members have offered better deals, so when I'm back home I can narrow down which one to get.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

scott63

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 04:39:47 AM »
If I ever am in that part of the country, I am definitely going to visit, looks like a great shop to go broke at!

nosrettap1958

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2016, 06:11:17 AM »
If I ever am in that part of the country, I am definitely going to visit, looks like a great shop to go broke at!

Definitely visit that shop. While there go in the back and see all of those original John and Caleb Vincent rifles he has collected over the years. In my opinion the most beautiful sporting rifle ever built.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/616/1/VINCENT-OHIO-PERC-PARTS-LIST
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:12:25 AM by crawdad »

Offline Uncle Miltie

• Starting Member
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2016, 06:30:25 PM »
Richard Hergina rifles were popular with shooters in the area of Ohio where I used to live.  He built decent, affordable rifles that were of excellent quality, especially for the money.  At the Canal Fulton club, shooters were still using rifles he built in the late 1960's.  

I ordered my Hergina rifle in 1986.  It was my first flintlock, which I still have.  I have competed with it for many years, and have won prizes at the local and national level with it.  At The Log Cabin, you would pick your parts from their stock, and for $180 (plus $80 if you wanted the barrel/furniture browned) you would have your rifle built by Richard.  You could pay for it up front, or place a deposit and pay as you went, which is what I did.

My rifle has a Green Mountain .36 caliber 42" barrel, Cain double set triggers, Cochran right hand flint lock, Bean style iron hardware (no patchbox) and a grade 5 piece of curly maple.  That wood cost me $125 back then!  The price for construction was the same whether Richard built the rifle from a precarve or a plank. My parts, wood, construction cost ($180+$80 for browning) and tax brought the total to $618.  I did not make much money in those days, and it took me the better part of a year to pay for it.  My rifle was # 351.  I think Richard built over 600 rifles through the Log Cabin.

Richard rifles often had characteristic architecture, and I suppose those who wanted rather mundane rifles got them, especially those who picked out hardware and rifle style with rather casual regard for whether such elements went together or not.  My rifle (Southern style flintlock) turned out rather well, with a graceful fore end and silver man-in-the-moon cheekpiece inlay, which I later had Dick Bingham engrave.  Hergina rifles were often purchased by those who had outgrown their Thompson/Center, CVA or Lyman rifles and wanted something else.

Richard built rifles while holding down a job and raising a family.  He also built street machines and hot rods.  I never met him, but have seen two cars he built and his workmanship is of the first order, especially the paintwork.  He passed away from Alzheimers as a previous poster mentioned in 2009.  
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 06:34:01 PM by Uncle Miltie »

Offline Kermit

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 06:10:08 AM »
You don't need to take the barrel out so don't worry about it.

Yup. I've never had occasion to remove a pinned barrel from my flintlocks.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West