Author Topic: Stocking bench  (Read 9598 times)

ddoyle

Stocking bench
« on: March 06, 2016, 04:24:44 AM »
Some months ago I was lucky enough to get a chance to purchase a set of plans that a member was offering for sale.  Below is my version of the H________ from Pennsylvania stocking bench. If the plans are still for sale they are worth the money if not to copy  exactly than as a starting point for customization.

Major divergence in that I shortened the feet, added a leg vise and laid up the laminate a bit different.  Also built in mounting on the over hang end for a machinist vise/Anvil. Barrel Vise, Bench Grinder etc. It also mounts a live edge 2 foot by 4 foot 3 inch thick cedar slab for assembly work or for use as furniture.

Vise has about 5 inches of travel so it will grip 8 inches. Handle is held on by magnet so it can be reset once the vise is tightened. Forewent the traditional pin on the lower guide and instead use slotted pieces of   1/8,  ¼ , etc ply as spacers. Not pictured are vise inserts that use a central dowel in a groove to give angled grip.

Bill of Material worked out to:

3x 16 foot 2x6 spruce, 1X 14 foot 2x6 (99% used, nothing but dust left over)
One litre of glue
100 3 inch screws
One litre of paint
1x8 tpi threaded rod
1x8TPI coupling nut
1x8TPI regular nut
half a grinder wheel
2 washers
6 feet of oak
8 square feet of cedar

No major beta tests yet but it seems like what I wanted rock solid. Original plan was for it to be screwed to the floor but does not seem to need it.

If given a choice I’d prefer a proper bench but we are vagabond/gypsies and this fits in the truck. Wife has given it the nod as living room furniture so that is worth something.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:38:45 AM by rich pierce »

Online okieboy

Re: Stocking bench
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:14:31 AM »
 Yes, and now MY wife wants aquilt/blanket stand just like yours! :D
Okieboy

ddoyle

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 06:00:59 AM »
Build her one, it would make a great b-day/mother's day/anniversary present ;)

Offline BJH

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 08:05:11 PM »
Nicely done! You took a idea that I borrowed, and modified that originated with a bench Ian Pratt brought to Dixon's a number of years ago. Then you made it your own. Neat workmanship, and redesign ideas.  Where is your version of the steady rest block? Curious minds want to see. BJH
BJH

ddoyle

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:17:19 PM »

Mr Habermehl,

My steady block is at this moment a stack of 2x lumber with a wrap of duct tape and piece of floor mat from an 82' malibu. Piece of threaded rod goes thru them and into the slot on the table, tightened with a wing nut underneath.  ( I hid it from the photographer cause it is pretty ugly)

One of the things that I lost in not following your plans exactly was that nice set of rails to secure the steady and to keep tools from rolling away.
I planned on doing it like yours but after picking thru every lumber pile in town I got tired of the splinters before I found a 2x10 that was usable.

I am starting an inlet this afternoon and once I get a bit of experience with the bench I'll refine my steady along with my vise jaws.

Really enjoyed working with your drawings/ideas. It is a lost art to be able to write instructions and to draw plans so that they are usable. You have that skill.

Offline BJH

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 03:18:11 AM »
Credit the drawing " skills" to my junior high mechanical drawing teacher. ;)  The instructions took a few rewrites though. Some of our members were kind enough to point out some of my goofs, you got the benefit of a later edition of the instructions. I planned out the bench for quite a while in my head then went to paper. It was surprisingly challenging to write instructions for the project, because when your doing a project somewhat intuitively, you forget some of the steps you take and why. BJH
BJH