Author Topic: Matches in TN or nearby?  (Read 5030 times)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
Matches in TN or nearby?
« on: March 06, 2016, 07:42:04 PM »
I've got the bug to go competitive shooting again (first time with a sidelock) and am having a very difficult time finding anything but the York and a trail walk @ Crockett/Lawrenceburg located in this state.

I know I'm going to have to drive a ways, but am really hoping to avoid 12 hours on the road every weekend.  Sure, that's no big deal for a few special events, but I thought I'd have more "local" (3 hours or less) options. 

Rifle shooting is so much easier than mountain bike racing  :o ;D :P , but dang finding an event.

Hoping one or three of you fine folks can surprise me with a "secret" competitive scene down this way
.  "Secret" as in unknown to the internet.  I've been digging for a couple of days.

Thanks, wanders off toward the bench with ideas of making shaders and a chunk...new sights.

Hold to the Wind

Online Robby

• NYSSR ―
Re: Matches in TN or nearby?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 09:51:19 PM »
Thanks, I guess I'll have to shoot some emails out to seef these folks host matches.  Of course Southern KY, North AL/GA, and West Carolina are closer than far East/West TN to me.

I've shot with Elk River (only 45 miles away) but they don't care to score anything--edit--and there's nothing wrong with that  ;) , that's why I'm looking elsewhere. 
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 12:28:45 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 11:28:07 PM »
Wade,

Sent you an email.  I went shooting twice over the weekend and have a few leads.  I live in Huntsville- not to  far from you.

Bill
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 11:28:26 PM by Sequatchie Rifle »
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 12:30:21 AM »
Thanks Bill, got the email waiting on it to load. 

THEN I'm going to work up some metal parts for some guns I'm trying to make.  8)
Hold to the Wind

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 04:13:47 AM »
Wade, I think you were born too late. Tennessee use to have numerous small clubs as well as some big ones that had competitive matches. As a matter of fact, Elk River, whom I am a member, was years ago very active and hosted the state championship with 100+ shooters being the norm. Elk River started it's downward slide after we quit hosting that big shoot. The decline and almost demise was when we were kicked off our leased range on nearby Cumberland Springs by the heirs of the Motlows who were obviously somewhat antigun.

Owl Hollow Gun Club near Franklin hosted the NMLRA Territorials and also The R. Southgate Memorial up until the owner of the range refused to renew their lease a few years back. Owl Hollow couldn't find any suitable land for a range and soon went belly up. My wife and myself had actually run a monthly match there for a few years and up until the club lost the range.

Others will have to tell you what happened to the Chickasaw Bluff Muzzleloaders down in Memphis or the John Sevier Longrifles in Knoxville. Neither have been active, as far as I know, in years.

The Tennessee Longhunters, I think, still have monthly or maybe quarterly shoots but I think they may be by invitation only to non members. I know a few of them hang out on this site and maybe they will chime in. If not, I can get you some contact info.

Your best bet will be in Alabama. I attended a silhouette shoot north of Birmingham this past weekend put on by The Alabama State Muzzle Loading Association, which is still quite viable. They have the NMLRA Territorial as well as the Alabama Championship at Brierfield Ironworks Park they also have monthly silhouette shoots at Magic City. If you are into shotguns the shoot in Clanton is the place to be.

The Georgia bunch is also still active but their shoots are a little more than a hike for you. At any event both the Alabama and Georgia folks are as fine as you will ever meet and I know most all of them. Contact me if you need any info as I don't mind helping you out if I can.

Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 04:04:29 AM »
Hey thanks WS, I got busy and hadn't closely read your post.  Thanks for explaining the Elk River thing.  I had heard a little bit about it.  Been there twice and to John's shop a dozen or more times.

York is coming up.  I going to observe and BS with the few guys that I know.  I got a reply from the Far East TN guys.  I may travel over there when I have the time and opportunity.  

I also heard from a guy who says they may get something going in/around Putnam Co., which would be a TREAT at about an hour away.  8)

I'll see what I can find on 'Bama.

Dang, looks good-but is 4 hours away.  http://nmlra.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Alabama-State-Muzzle-Loading-Association.pdf

(whoops that's for last year, I see 7th and 8th May for this year).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:16:57 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
Hey Wade....
Look for my Florida plates at the York. Still not sure what vehicle I'm driving. But I imagine I'll be the only one there with Florida plates.
Love to meet some folks from here while I'm up there.
I'm shooting in the second relay, so I'll have some time in the morning to look around, and visit with folks.
I'm not a chunk shooter by any means...just thought it would be fun to participate in this shoot one time ( at least...), and since recently retiring...I've got TIME..!!
Besides..I miss Tennessee. Spent a lot of years there, East and Middle.
I'm shooting a put-together "parts" rifle:
50 cal. Green Mountain barrel with a Lyman globe front sight and open rear with a shader, T/C flintlock, Davis trigger, unknown stock.
See ya there Pard.. :)
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline bgf

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 04:26:35 AM »
Hey Wade....
Look for my Florida plates at the York. Still not sure what vehicle I'm driving. But I imagine I'll be the only one there with Florida plates.
Love to meet some folks from here while I'm up there.
I'm shooting in the second relay, so I'll have some time in the morning to look around, and visit with folks.
I'm not a chunk shooter by any means...just thought it would be fun to participate in this shoot one time ( at least...), and since recently retiring...I've got TIME..!!
Besides..I miss Tennessee. Spent a lot of years there, East and Middle.
I'm shooting a put-together "parts" rifle:
50 cal. Green Mountain barrel with a Lyman globe front sight and open rear with a shader, T/C flintlock, Davis trigger, unknown stock.
See ya there Pard.. :)

I wouldn't bet on being only one from Florida!  There's folks from Canada and, I believe, California, too, sometimes.  Remember to put flint on your entry.  There's a prize for best flint x and only the best type of people shoot flint :).  Also, you need a flint shield, just in case you didn't think of it.  If I shoot in morning you can use mine, but a piece of plywood on a stick or two pieces hinged together is all you need to make one.

You're going to have fun.

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »
Thanks for the update, and especially the advice to bring a shield. I had not thought of that, but definitely will need to have one. My original plan was to be bringing a caplock...but I'm finding the sights on my Green Mtn. flint bbl. are giving me better results, and I really don't want to swap the sights around.
Does anyone know if there might be a powder vendor present at the match ?? I've about shot myself out of 2f Swiss, which is what my rifle seems to like best. I have plenty of 2f Goex which works just fine for Chunk shooting at MY level...but I like to use the best when I can and there seems to be a consensus that Swiss is worth the difference when shooting off any kind of rest.
It's all new to me...and while I'm not anticipating becoming a dedicated Chunk shooter...I'm looking forward to this one for sure. 

Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Offline bgf

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 08:20:19 PM »
I don't think I remember any powder vendors (maybe someone does), but I've bought balls, barrels and other stuff there.

Three years ago, my buddy and I went down to get it off our bucket list and now we plan on one chunk shoot a month if possible!  Flint is not a huge deal with chunk, especially if the sights work better for you.  Unless of course, like I do, you keep it as a handy excuse if things go less well than expected :).  Surprisingly I find that if kept clean, flint is less trouble in damp weather when a lot of the caplocks start fouling.  Currently, the weather looks decent, but a little rain or snow is par for the course at York.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2016, 09:58:41 PM »
Wade,

I don't know what part of TN you are in, but the Bucksnort Longhunters are near Elizabethtown, in south central KY.  They put on some good shoots.  Standing offhand paper target matches and woods walk matches.  Good bunch of guys.  Tell 'em Ron sent ya.

Organization: Buck Snort Longhunters
Contact Name: Robbie McMillen
Address: 446 Lincoln Drive
City: Elizabethtown, KY 42701
Phone Number: 270-765-3626
Email: robbiemcm08 at gmail dot com, http://www.bucksnortlonghunters.com/
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:59:59 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 02:04:52 AM »
Oak Ridge, Muzzleloader  600/1000yd        Rick Weber (865)986-5356          rweber@cvs.com
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.