Author Topic: Possibly a matter of interest!  (Read 12448 times)

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
    • Verified Ladies  Prime Сasual Dating
Re: Possibly a matter of interest!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:39:56 PM »
Link timed out for me.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 08:54:06 PM »
Great experiment!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:58:30 PM »
Now the link works. I posted this on Jon's forum. Is that where you got it?

Offline Kermit

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 11:07:49 PM »
Why I've used Ballistol since about forever.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 12:10:39 AM »
Which reminds me that I need another can of Ballistol. Anyone selling it that will be at the New Market VA show this Fri/Sat or the TN show in April?
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dewey

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »
As LVL works just as good as Ballistol,  :)

but smells MUCH BETTER,  ::)

I will stick with that !  8)

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 02:14:46 AM »
I know what I saw in the site's posting regarding Ballistol.  I have only two experiences with it, and both resulted in rusty rifles.  Never again.  Anything that combines perfectly with water, in my opinion, is a lousy rust preventative.  I suspect that the poster's statement regarding cleanliness is the key to rust prevention.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 02:32:51 AM »
Guess I am odd (or maybe because I am of German descent) the smell does not bother me. In fact as long as it not a strong whiff I kind of like it.
Dennis

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline PPatch

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 03:36:11 AM »
Guy should have tried some 3-in-1 oil. A half a century, and my dad before me, and not a spec of rust on any gun or bore.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Sharpsman

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »

LVL???

What??

Offline One Shot

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 09:41:47 AM »
I use CRC Power Lube and never have had any issues with it. Learned to use it from the Ol' timers in BPCR.

Offline bones92

• If it was easy, everyone would do it.
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 09:50:38 AM »

LVL???

What??

Lehigh Valley Lube.   It recently became available again.  I ordered some from TOTW (Track of the Wolf) last year.  Seems to work great, though I use Ballistol, too.
If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Offline Percy

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 06:23:26 PM »
Glad to see a test that shows Ballistol to be a good rust inhibitor. I've used it for the last year with very good results so I will continue to use it. BTW, I don't mind the smell either.

Cleanliness is always important but for the subject test I would "assume" that all plates tested were cleaned to the same degree.

Percy

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 12:32:44 AM »
I don't get using Ballistol and getting rust. I've used it for 4 decades and have never gotten rust.

The Germans invented it during WW1 for their firearms. I don't think they'd use it if the guns rusted.

C. Cash

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 12:59:54 AM »
Another plus one on the Ballistol.  In humid situations, run a patch through it and over it every few weeks and you'll be good.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 11:44:15 PM »
I know what I saw in the site's posting regarding Ballistol.  I have only two experiences with it, and both resulted in rusty rifles.  Never again.  Anything that combines perfectly with water, in my opinion, is a lousy rust preventative.  I suspect that the poster's statement regarding cleanliness is the key to rust prevention.

I think perhaps Taylor's statement should read - : Anything that CAN combine perfectly with water, is lousy protection from water, whether liquid or vapor. Thus, in a high humidity environment, perhaps Ballistol is a poor rust preventative.

Here in PG, WD40 works as well as anything and is generally all we use, short term or long term.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2016, 10:06:02 PM »
Let me describe my first and last personal use of Ballistol.

October, moose camp, temperatures dropping to below freezing at night.  I was camping in my tipi.  I had fired off the shot that resided in my Jaeger rifle at the end of the day, and cleaned my rifle as always by flushing the bore with tepid water, dried thoroughly, and oiled with a patch and Ballistol, on the recommendation of my boss, the outfitter for whom I was guiding.  He's German by birth.  I wiped down the outside of the steel with the same patch, and hung the rifle on it's hooks on the dew cloth rope as usual.  When I got up in the morning, it was dark, so we did the usual morning chores and ritual, fed the clients, and headed off into the boreal forest in search of Bullwinkle.  We returned at noon and I went to the tipi to change into dry clothing.  My Jaeger, still resting on it's perch showed light rusting along the edges of the flats on the outside of the barrel.  Shocked!  I ran a dry patch down the bore, and it came back with light brown oxide!!  I immediately recleaned the rifle, dried as before and oiled again, this time with WD40.  Over the course of the next ten days, I never fired the rifle again, and the rifle showed no more rust as it had with Ballistol.

I did not need another lesson to form an opinion about Ballistol.

Recently, one of our shooters went through pretty much the same scenario at the BC REndezvous, 'cept he was staying in his wall tent, and the temperature did not drop below freezing.  He got up in the morning and found his rifle rusted, just as mine had done.
You tell me what went wrong!!!
D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 10:23:58 PM »
What do you use now?

I have no answer why you got rust. I don't doubt you. I just don't understand it. I've had my guns in similar situations and they didn't rust. Our humidity is lower in Colorado, but not when it's raining or snowing. I guess if I got rust i'd be preaching it's junk too.

Offline Dewey

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »
I think the results (good or bad) of a particular cleaning method can really depend on location, location, location.  

I have had a LOT more problems with certain cleaning methods here in Iowa (which can be as humid as the South, where I grew up) as opposed to the low humidity back in Black Hills of South Dakota, where I first got into black powder shooting.  

In this case, one size does NOT fit all - you need to find out what works for YOU at YOUR QTH !!!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 12:43:38 AM by Dewey »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 01:07:35 AM »
What do you use now?

I have no answer why you got rust. I don't doubt you. I just don't understand it. I've had my guns in similar situations and they didn't rust. Our humidity is lower in Colorado, but not when it's raining or snowing. I guess if I got rust i'd be preaching it's junk too.

Taylor noted in his post that after re-cleaning his rifle, what he used - WD40 - as usual - thus, as usual, no rust.
Daryl

Offline OldMtnMan

• Colorado
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 01:57:06 AM »
How are the results of the test in the OP's post explained? 3 months and no rust, and some here can make it one day.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 01:49:27 AM »
Humidity?

Last year at Rendezvous BC, when this happened to the our friend, we were having non-typical rains and non-typical higher humidity.

When this happened to Taylor during moose season, we were having (there in camp) normal wet, drizzly, rainy weather.
Those are the conditions under which Ballistol did not work.

Both of these guys know how to clean their rifles so there is NO fouling left and then properly lube them.

Note, the normal cleaning and oiling ritual leaves no rust under IDENTICAL conditions. Mine sure as heck didn't rust under identical conditions --- so?
Daryl

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 03:01:13 AM »
Here in the humid climate of Eastern Ontario, I have used WD-40 for storing all my muzzleloading guns for the last 29 years. So far, no rust.   :)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 03:42:18 AM »
I think the results ... one size does NOT fit all - you need to find out what works for YOU at YOUR QTH !!!

WTH?  I get all sorts of grief for using common internet forum acronyms and standard American abbreviations and here comes Dewey with a Q-signal! 

I only know that one from specialized communications, didn't know it was a regular term.  ;D

I'll make an assumption from Dewey's use of the term and say: FB OM 73 de W1ADE

dadidah  :D

Hold to the Wind