Author Topic: Possibly a matter of interest!  (Read 12449 times)

Offline Dewey

Re: Possibly a matter of interest!
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 01:55:32 PM »
W1ADE DE K0NGO

LOL

I read you 59, repeat 59.

What can I say?

My computer also is using HRD to run my ICOM. Is it a bad sign when you start to THINK in Q code?

QSL?

73 !!!

K0NGO clear on your final (before the frequency police jump in!).

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:11:03 PM by Dewey »

Offline Dewey

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2016, 02:04:52 PM »
PS

Nice blackpowder buck on your QRZ page !!!   8)

How did you clean your gun afterwards?

(See ... on topic, Dennis !!!   :D)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 02:13:34 PM by Dewey »

C. Cash

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2016, 02:15:40 AM »
I know what I saw in the site's posting regarding Ballistol.  I have only two experiences with it, and both resulted in rusty rifles.  Never again.  Anything that combines perfectly with water, in my opinion, is a lousy rust preventative.  I suspect that the poster's statement regarding cleanliness is the key to rust prevention.

D. Taylor-  I was wondering if the ballistol you used was full strength or was it diluted with water?  I appreciate the info you and your brother share here and I don't doubt your results.

Offline One Eye

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 05:41:43 PM »
My experience mirrors Taylor's.
I like Ballistol with distilled water as moose milk for wiping or a quick cleaning, or a patch lube.
But it does not displace water. WD40 does.
And EEZOX and Barricade have kept the rust off during long term storage while I was fighting cancer over a four year period and couldn't even hold a longrifle, let alone shoot one. Not a speck of rust.
I have used Barricade for over 30 years with complete satisfaction.
Just my 2 cents.
One Eye
"Even a fool is counted wise when he holds his peace..."
 Proverbs 17:28

Offline Daryl

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2016, 09:19:55 PM »
I can answer that for Taylor - straight- non-mixed. The Balistol that rusted the other rifle, was from a brand new container.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

C. Cash

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2016, 03:20:17 AM »
I can answer that for Taylor - straight- non-mixed. The Balistol that rusted the other rifle, was from a brand new container.
. Thank you Daryl.... Good to know.  I use Ballistol in about everything now and have had good success so far, but I keep a close eye.  I can't help but think that there are other factors at play as well when we get rust.  I had a Renegade bore that I couldn't keep free from it.  Smoother, polished metals seem to have less problems.  And some of us just live in environments that accelerate the process.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 06:39:02 PM by C. Cash »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 09:26:25 PM »
High humidity is the worse propagator of rust in barrels.  As to cleaning, we've been doing it the same since we started- barrel ALWAYS comes off the gun and gets stuck into a container of water. The barrel is cleaned by pumping water into and out of the barrel using a rod and jag with doubled flannelette cloth.   They are then dried, sprayed with WD40, wiped out the excess then stored muzzle down - no further oils or prep, even for long time storage- NEVER any rust. I assume in both these instances of rust with Ballistol, there was no WD40 treatment after drying.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Dry Baller

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2016, 06:21:05 PM »
W1ADE DE K0NGO

LOL

I read you 59, repeat 59.

What can I say?

My computer also is using HRD to run my ICOM. Is it a bad sign when you start to THINK in Q code?

QSL?

73 !!!

K0NGO clear on your final (before the frequency police jump in!).

Mr Flintlocks here for lube/cleaning followed by Ballistol. No problems here in Okieville.

73 De W5ATV

Offline Lampro

• Starting Member
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2016, 07:11:25 AM »
Perhaps condensation is what makes the difference. In real life you don't usually get a constant 100% humidity just floating around in the air for 3 months. In real life temperatures change and the water in the air condenses on surfaces. It might be that Ballistol provides protection so long as the water it mixes with doesn't exceed a certain concentration?